Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #36 - Artem Duda, LHD

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I get it and you’re not wrong but if he didn’t want to play in Russia, what could he have done?
He could have tried any league as the one he tried clearly does not all professional athletes to play. Heck they don't allow major junior players to play and they get an allowance only. I'm not sure he could have gotten worse advice than NCAA route.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He could have tried any league as the one he tried clearly does not all professional athletes to play. Heck they don't allow major junior players to play and they get an allowance only. I'm not sure he could have gotten worse advice than NCAA route.
NCAA is the league that doesn't care about the IIHF contract rules though and that's probably why he chose it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
NCAA is the league that doesn't care about the IIHF contract rules though and that's probably why he chose it.
It's not about him having a contract, it's about him having been paid to play hockey. And that is very much a big deal to NCAA. It's why Canadian kids play Junior A rather than Major Jr as one gives a weekly stipend taking away their NCAA eligibility. This never made sense for Duda from day 1 and he was given bad advice to have it as his only option.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It's not about him having a contract, it's about him having been paid to play hockey. And that is very much a big deal to NCAA. It's why Canadian kids play Junior A rather than Major Jr as one gives a weekly stipend taking away their NCAA eligibility. This never made sense for Duda from day 1 and he was given bad advice to have it as his only option.
I just mean that leagues that follow the IIHF rules would've denied him for sure, but with NCAA he probably thought there could be some chance.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just mean that leagues that follow the IIHF rules would've denied him for sure, but with NCAA he probably thought there could be some chance.
But the NCAA deems anyone who has been paid to play a sport ineligible. It's not even up for debate if Duda was a professional hockey player. I believe Willander argued that while he played a couple games in a professional league he stayed an amateur because he was not paid to play. I can't think of any hockey players who went ncaa after playing as a professional.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
But the NCAA deems anyone who has been paid to play a sport ineligible. It's not even up for debate if Duda was a professional hockey player. I believe Willander argued that while he played a couple games in a professional league he stayed an amateur because he was not paid to play. I can't think of any hockey players who went ncaa after playing as a professional.
I'm not disagreeing that this doesn't sound like a very bright idea either, I just mean that other options weren't much better if at all. So yeah, no wonder Dan Milstein refused to participate in all that.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Then provide those examples please, as I know some IIHF rules that are against that.
There you Go:

They cancelled their contracts and started playing in different leagues.
Might only Work for non-russians though.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Well He could Just terminste His contract.
And also i Said that people left for Other leagues. Never specified If they Had a contract or Not.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Well He could Just terminste His contract.
And also i Said that people left for Other leagues. Never specified If they Had a contract or Not.
"Just terminate" isn't exactly "just", as if you dig up a bit on what conditions these players left then you'd find out that the termination in the majority of cases was mutual, as the war starting was quite a force majeure, so the KHL teams were quite willing to let them go - sometimes for free, sometimes for a buyout of the remaining contract. Still an agreement from the KHL team was needed and that's the issue with Duda - that CSKA won't agree to that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For now he got a place to Play in Canada.
Thats good.
He could’ve played a full season in the 2nd best league in the world but now he’ll play half season in the 22nd best league in the world. It’s better than missing an entire year with injury. But it’s not great. ;)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He could’ve played a full season in the 2nd best league in the world but now he’ll play half season in the 22nd best league in the world. It’s better than missing an entire year with injury. But it’s not great. ;)
iirc Usports regular season ends at the end of January, playoffs - in mid March, so not exactly a half season I'd say, better than nothing though.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
It's a temporary setback. But he's a d-man. They take longer to develop as is. Not worried.

When might we see him in Tucson? Next year maybe? 2025?

Reactions: Edenjung

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Better to play in 22nd league and be free as wind, than to play in 2nd and be slave like Fedotov.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just by a simple search there is at least 1 player playing in the NCAA this year who also spent time in the KHL. There has also been multiple NCAA players who played Major Junior also

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Just by a simple search there is at least 1 player playing in the NCAA this year who also spent time in the KHL. There has also been multiple NCAA players who played Major Junior also
Wonder if you consider providing some backup for that claim

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Wonder if you consider providing some backup for that claim
Like I said it's a pretty simple search. But Vladislav Pshenichnikov played in the KHL and is playing NCAA this year. There are normally a couple every year who had a stint in the CHL and end up playing NCAA. Normally they have to sit out a year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Like I said it's a pretty simple search. But Vladislav Pshenichnikov played in the KHL and is playing NCAA this year. There are normally a couple every year who had a stint in the CHL and end up playing NCAA. Normally they have to sit out a year.
So he got called up for 1 game from Jr team. Can you confirm that he had a professional contract or was paid for that game? Give me an exam0le of a couple players who played Major Jr hockey for a season and then went to NCAA other than singular example from covid years that was mentioned here earlier.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
So he got called up for 1 game from Jr team. Can you confirm that he had a professional contract or was paid for that game? Give me an exam0le of a couple players who played Major Jr hockey for a season and then went to NCAA other than singular example from covid years that was mentioned here earlier.
Im not sure those contracts are public. Gelsinger and Swankler are two off the top of my head that played D1 after CHL stints. There are also a few that have done it at the D3 level.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Im not sure those contracts are public. Gelsinger and Swankler are two off the top of my head that played D1 after CHL stints. There are also a few that have done it at the D3 level.
Apparently NCAA made mistake with one

Swankler was the Covid exception I mentioned earlier and according to this article one if the only 2 players ro ever ake the move. No idea if factual??

"This shocked the hockey world once he got his eligibility back from the NCAA, being one of only two to do so in the long history of both leagues, making him a unicorn in the sport."

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Is the KHL better than SEL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad