Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #36 - Artem Duda, LHD

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That podcast clip helps quite a bit. Seems more like an under-scouted guy with a ton of upside. Feels like we got our guys with this pick and Maveric, where Lutz may have been more BPA.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thinking of the Behind the Scenes No Pressure, No Diamonds video. Remember all the “are you coming over!!!” emphasis from BA? Wonder if they’re going to try to sneak Duda out of the country and get him in Tucson with Fedotov next season. Prosvetov is down there, too. And I expect Kolyachonok will spend some time down there.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Thinking of the Behind the Scenes No Pressure, No Diamonds video. Remember all the “are you coming over!!!” emphasis from BA? Wonder if they’re going to try to sneak Duda out of the country and get him in Tucson with Fedotov next season. Prosvetov is down there, too. And I expect Kolyachonok will spend some time down there.

Another aspect about the Russian situation. I think kids who have already been drafted and moved over here will have way more issues than kids drafted this weekend. This class now knows what they need to do with their paperwork to not have any SNAFU's once they get over to the US.

Glad we are finally getting a Russian prospect pool too. He wont be alone in Tucson if he comes which is huge for him. I remember Bryz commenting on the lack of Russians in AZ.

Reactions: PainForShane

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Didn't watch, this draft was at an odd time. Is he in Canada?

Can he bail and move to AHL now?

rt

May 13, 2004
Didn't watch, this draft was at an odd time. Is he in Canada?

Can he bail and move to AHL now?
He's not in North America, I don't believe. He's eligible for the AHL, but I'm not sure on his contract status in Russia. Also not sure if he'll be arrested and sent to Ukraine to be shot in the streets if he tries to come over.

• Haha
Reactions: Grimes

CoSi

Nov 15, 2021
I believe he doesn't have a contract in Russia for next season as of now so interesting to see where he goes.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
So they found a kid who put up basically the best u18 season of any D in MHL history, and who happens not to have a contract for next season? That seems like a situation worth burning a 2nd rounder on.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I believe he doesn't have a contract in Russia for next season as of now so interesting to see where he goes.

I assume he is still CSKA property in the Russian system, same as Ivan Fedotov, which may have knocked him down in the draft for some teams. He was mocked as an early 3rd in rankings.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm very encouraged about this pick. BA didn't go Russian heavy at all in this draft, it wasn't part of their strategy even though there were a lot of high upside Russians available at various spots in the draft where they were picking.

So I feel like, at least to some degree, they made an exception for Duda, and that means they must really like him. I don't see him as a boom/bust pick (like a Lane Hutson for example). I would suspect they see him projecting to be a solid, legit #3/4 second pairing Dman.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So they found a kid who put up basically the best u18 season of any D in MHL history, and who happens not to have a contract for next season? That seems like a situation worth burning a 2nd rounder on.
For the Russian Lidstrom? I'd say so!

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
@Steve Kournianos - would you mind sharing some thoughts? I know you’re a fan of this player. Would love if you could chime in here. Us Yotes fans are desperate for hope.

It’s a solid pick. Had him raked No. 32. That team had five really good defensemen, with three — Grudinin, Duda, and Barabosha all drafted on Saturday, and Makarov drafted by CBJ last year. Clearly played for a good team (MHL Finals) and he was their No. 1 or No. 2 when Grudinin was promoted.

Mistake-free game. Very clean puck management and an excellent PPQB. Not selfish or a hot dogger. Big shot from the point and highly accurate with little backswing. Hands are elite IMO in terms of catch and release and handling tough passes into his feet or that are bouncing. High, high poise level, good size. Not physical all the time but has crunched some people.

Judging by the left side of the pool, I think Duda is second behind Kolyachonok in terms of legit NHL upside and first among all Yotes defense prospects in point-producing potential.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4