GDT: 2022-23 season game 39 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @6:00pm 12/29/22

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
He's got 8 NHL games at a .912 save percentage

He's been solid but can we calm down a little on the "SIGN HIM"
Extending the guy another year is a bad idea when next year's crease is Cal and Matt Villalta as of this moment?
Ok buddy. Thanks for the input.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Id take Walker or Ando over Roy... just watching how he doesnt even make himself available for a pass when guy has the puck..edit: we should have Spence as an option but i digress

Did doughty only have 1 shift in ot? Seriously, watching Roy try and do anything but get his shot blocked in the final 30 seconds was just comically sad. I think Edlar was the only dman who didn't take a shift. :laugh:

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Extending the guy another year is a bad idea when next year's crease is Cal and Matt Villalta as of this moment?
Especially by now you have heard from the league wide media picking up on the story and my bet is at least one GM and probably more have called about Cal but "accidentally" ended asking harder about Copley.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Did doughty only have 1 shift in ot? Seriously, watching Roy try and do anything but get his shot blocked in the final 30 seconds was just comically sad. I think Edlar was the only dman who didn't take a shift. :laugh:
DD dont remember because he never does anything. Roy just useless offensively... it would be better to have a solid 2 way fwd like Iafallo over someone like Roy. Edler could help the Kings by retiring mid season.

Reactions: kingsfan28

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Not surprising, Kopi with 23 m and DD with 27 -- in the thin air.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'm saying what's the rush? Let him focus on playing, see where the dust settles.

He's a 30 year old journeyman and while he's a nice fit here there's not going to be a long list of guys banging down his door to sign him for too much and if they do, so be it.

While it would be nice to have stability/continuity there's no telling what the rest of the season holds and if he moves on, here's next year's list of FA goalies sorted by current numbers

1672380100823.png

Reactions: kinghock

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I'm saying what's the rush? Let him focus on playing, see where the dust settles.

He's a 30 year old journeyman and while he's a nice fit here there's not going to be a long list of guys banging down his door to sign him for too much and if they do, so be it.

While it would be nice to have stability/continuity there's no telling what the rest of the season holds and if he moves on, here's next year's list of FA goalies sorted by current numbers

View attachment 628097
We can't afford any of the guys here I see going 8-1 possibly., with the Caltract on the books.
We have the thrifty and practical solution in our hand. If he falters later you might get interest in a trade or waiver wire.
But his price goes up a little bit with every win and even more with a shootout win.
And so do the prospects of him exploring his rfa bids over the summer, further driving his price up.
WIth what we have seen from Copper and styles league wide, Blake should do what he does, lock it in early for cheaper, rolling the dice again when it looks like the right and good bet..

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Villalta?! How could you say that when Villalta hasn't even had a lick of the NHL level and he's not even getting many starts at the AHL level right now? I love Quick for what he did for the Kings, but the time is for him to either move on to another team or retire a King! Petersen's contract is not movable. Copper/Petersen should be the tandem going into next season. During preseason you get a good look at Villalta, but he will need to cook with the Ontario Reign hopefully getting a good deal of starts.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Villalta?! How could you say that when Villalta hasn't even had a lick of the NHL level and he's not even getting many starts at the AHL level right now? I love Quick for what he did for the Kings, but the time is for him to either move on to another team or retire a King! Petersen's contract is not movable. Copper/Petersen should be the tandem going into next season. During preseason you get a good look at Villalta, but he will need to cook with the Ontario Reign hopefully getting a good deal of starts.

sure it is, they'd have to eat some, but it can be part of another deal. There have been dozens of bad contracts for terrible players that have been moved. You tell me how he wouldn't be the starter in ARZ or BUF if they could work something out.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Great response, obviously. Good coaching adjustments too, not many reasons to bitch about this one. Kopitar with another 23 but honestly with Moore out he's going to need to take more PK minutes, especially in a tight one.

And Blake Lizotte is one of the best 4th liners in the entire league.

Reactions: steepdrop

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Last time we had a fresh face in net with a few good games, Blake gave him 3 years at $5 million… so let’s be careful what we wish for 😅

Let's not get out of control here. Cal had over 50 games under his belt before the contract was signed and all indication were he was the new no. 1.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Right. Villalta in the NHL is a joke. But that's where we are next year. Look at the contracts. Who else is signed for next year? Cal and Villalta are the only other pros we have if UFAs Copley and Quick move on. Quick is done, I would only use him against Anaheim and Arizona. This organization has allowed the goalie pipeline to dry up. Thats the point I am making, we need to be realistic and get Copley extended for another year. Check out capfriendly and tell me what our plan is without Copley.

Last edited:

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022

View attachment 628097
This list makes my point for me. A bunch of old guys and losers, anyone decent will be re-signed by their current club or cost way too much.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
sure it is, they'd have to eat some, but it can be part of another deal. There have been dozens of bad contracts for terrible players that have been moved. You tell me how he wouldn't be the starter in ARZ or BUF if they could work something out.
Bcuz Vejmelka is the Coyotes #1 and Luukkonen is the future #1 being slowly broken in, plus Craig Anderson is a stopgap for the Sabres. No team is gonna trade for Petersen even at 1/2 price. Of course Petersen can be traded, but then Blake would have to cough up a 1st rounder. With Copper playing beyond what just about anyone expected(I saw this good fortune for the Kings coming since I knew Copley's background going all the way back with the Caps) it allows the Kings to fix Petersen over the off-season and free up $5 million off the books if Quick retires or moves on.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He's got 8 NHL games at a .912 save percentage

He's been solid but can we calm down a little on the "SIGN HIM"
Quite. Besides no agent worth his salt is letting him sign whilst his value is going up. His save % isn’t great, it’s just solid. We’re just not used to seeing that for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00