Celtics/NBA 2022-23 NBA Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Road might be a little tougher with Middleton likely not injured next year.
Not just Milwaukee either. You don't know what tweaks Brooklyn and Philly make etc. The East is no bargain and since LeBron went west there has been a different finalist from the East every year:

Toronto
Miami
Milwaukee
Boston

It's a grind to get there.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not just Milwaukee either. You don't know what tweaks Brooklyn and Philly make etc. The East is no bargain and since LeBron went west there has been a different finalist from the East every year:

Toronto
Miami
Milwaukee
Boston

It's a grind to get there.
Yeah that’s why I don’t think it’s crazy to think a bigger move might be necessary.

There will always be injuries and surprises with some those teams when the time comes though

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

I get that but the fact Tatum is ahead of Curry at the same age means more would be expected of Tatum right now. So it's not the end of the world he struggled in the finals but for the player he is, I get the criticism. It's not just him though. This team needs to take a hard look at the turnover issue that plagued them in the playoffs. If the answer is they need a better, true PG then you gotta explore all options. I would love for Stevens to be able to bring in an upgraded #3 piece to this team. To me, PG is the way to go.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Exactly what I’ve been trying to say. It would’ve been unheard of in this era for Tatum to win a title so young. Lebron/Steph/Giannis/KD/MJ/Kawhi/etc never got one that early

Doesn’t mean we couldn’t have hoped for it- but there is one last growing pain in front of us

Reactions: Alicat

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Exactly what I’ve been trying to say. It would’ve been unheard of in this era for Tatum to win a title so young. Lebron/Steph/Giannis/KD/MJ/Kawhi/etc never got one that early

Doesn’t mean we couldn’t have hoped for it- but there is one last growing pain in front of us
Plenty of players never get back though. KD, Harden, and Westbrook look like a sure bet to be back in the Finals with the Thunder and never made it back. Gotta take advantage of the moment when you get to the Finals.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Sometimes as an organization you have to get kicked in the teeth before you can reach your true potential.

It was a great run, but these types of losses can be catalysts for teams becoming great. Let’s hope that is the case with this group.

Reactions: Alicat

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There’s an expression an MMA coach uses

“Win or learn”. They learned what it takes to win a championship by facing a veteran winning team, now it’s time to take what they’ve learned and apply it next year

Reactions: Mione134

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Took LeBron 8 years until he won his 1st. We're gonna be okay folks. We're gonna be okay. This shit stings. But we got a good core. Just need some tweaks here and there. We will be back.

So you mean in order for Jayson Tatum to win he has to take his talents to South Beach in a press conference?

Lebron only won by leaving the franchise who drafted him.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
So you mean in order for Jayson Tatum to win he has to take his talents to South Beach in a press conference?

Lebron only won by leaving the franchise who drafted him.

Things are different now. I used him as an example. Tatum is still young. He'll learn from this. And he'll win a chip soon.

Reactions: rfournier103

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Ime should have been using them young legs off the bench that never saw no action at all to chase Steph around way more and wear him down.Horford was a bad plan cause he could not handle him or had hard time with him off dribble.Never adjusted to that entire series .People can disagree with me here but I thought a kid like Naismith who is fast and can leap could have helped there in a couple ways .He could give guys crucial rest and help wear him down.Your not beating a team like that using 8 guys whole way. Did not like the way Boston used its rotations at all.Game 5 Tatum could not get a rest but facing elimination starting 4th quarter after chopping 12 pts off lead there he is on bench.Weird stuff when you would not rest him game earlier

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Last night's effort was mostly trash, but they lost the series in game 4 when they shat away a winnable game in the final 3 minutes

The positives I came away from the series with are that Brown and Timelord are beasts. Horford played his heart out but obviously is closer to the end of his career. The last few seasons I've watched and nevr saw what was special about Jaylen Brown, but he really came to play and impressed me this series especially last night when he tried to will them back in it.

If Timelord is ever healthy he's an elite center in the league. They're a great point guard away from being elite IMO. I'm down on Tatum, obviously, but let's say his shoulder was hurt and he'll use this as a learning experience. I'll give him that chance.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You have to want another crack with this group if you are a fan. Williams was so good that I think you can keep Horford, Grant, and Theis as the other bigs and don't have to add. I'd take a better bench wing if we can get one as we haven't really hit on any of the vet journeymen we've taken fliers on in that role but that is the only thing I change.

Tatum had a very bad series and is the reason this didn't get to a 7th game. When you go a full quarter without scoring that goes on the best player. But its not like the Celtics are going to be in a position to bring in anyone better anytime soon just have to let him play through it and see what happens next year.

I felt like we were going to come back last night and win but GS answered every run with a dagger 3.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I guess Danny Ainge was at the game in the handshake line wearing Celts gear. What’s that all about?

Danny will always bleed green. He was a player here for 8 years and then was Director of Basketball Ops for 18.

He's responsible for most of this team it is only fitting he was there last night and wearing the Green and White.

I'm sure he had permission if that is what people like Zo are acting obnoxious about

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Ime should have been using them young legs off the bench that never saw no action at all to chase Steph around way more and wear him down.Horford was a bad plan cause he could not handle him or had hard time with him off dribble.Never adjusted to that entire series .People can disagree with me here but I thought a kid like Naismith who is fast and can leap could have helped there in a couple ways .He could give guys crucial rest and help wear him down.Your not beating a team like that using 8 guys whole way. Did not like the way Boston used its rotations at all.Game 5 Tatum could not get a rest but facing elimination starting 4th quarter after chopping 12 pts off lead there he is on bench.Weird stuff when you would not rest him game earlier
Teams are always going to use an 8 man rotation in the playoffs. Unless you plan on sitting Pritchard, White, or Williams... Naismith was not an option. Gotta go down with your best players. That would have been a huge 2nd guess if Naismith got significant mins.

Also, this series came down to the Celtics inability to score. There defense held the Warriors to under 105 pts per game.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Teams are always going to use an 8 man rotation in the playoffs. Unless you plan on sitting Pritchard, White, or Williams... Naismith was not an option. Gotta go down with your best players. That would have been a huge 2nd guess if Naismith got significant mins.

Also, this series came down to the Celtics inability to score. There defense held the Warriors to under 105 pts per game.
I never said significant minutes.Its just a good way to get guys rest and wear him down a bit.Warriors used 10 guys game 5 when they grabbed series lead.Theis barely saw the floor either .I thought Bostons top guys were wore out .If not they sure looked it.But credit where due Warriors were better team.

Reactions: Maine Fan

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Danny will always bleed green. He was a player here for 8 years and then was Director of Basketball Ops for 18.

He's responsible for most of this team it is only fitting he was there last night and wearing the Green and White.

I'm sure he had permission if that is what people like Zo are acting obnoxious about
Yeah that’s all fair but he is employed by another NBA team, pretty weird to me idk.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Yeah, it's basically his core team, no issue with him supporting them or having access.

But now I'm picturing a scenario in which during the 2011 Bruins Cup celebration, Mike O'Connell ran out onto the ice shouting I DRAFTED BERGERON, I SIGNED TIM THOMAS, GIVE ME THE CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad