Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
At this moment, the question I'm asking myself is if it's better for Slaf to simply continue getting NHL reps or if he's better off sent down to Laval, where I know it won't hurt him going down, but maybe even in a limited TOI, him getting NHL reps is beneficial.

Lafrenière didn't flourish his first year. But the Rangers kept him in the NHL in a limited role and ice time. It's been a slow build with him and last year in the playoffs, he was real good. And he's off to a good start to the season this year.

Jack Hughes also didn't flourish his first year. But he was never sent down to the AHL (as he was eligible once he turned pro). The Devils kept him in the NHL and he got all his reps. He also wasn't granted top line minutes either.

This isn't to say he should stay in the NHL no matter what. It's just at this moment, I'm asking myself if regardless of his spot in the line-up, maybe he's still better off staying up. Maybe in a few games, I will be convinced he needs to be sent down.
Both options are/can be good.

I think the coaching staff, unlike fans/media, understands that development isn't necessarily tied into results, at least not at this point.

I hate to sound like a book but it's very much a process at this point and Slafkovsky is going through it.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Kotkaniemi looked better at 18 than Nick Suzuki did at the same age.

Performance and development is so volatile at that age, it doesn't really mean much or rather, it's important not to draw too many conclusions at this stage.
I agree and i would add that the player is a lot responsible of his own development. Their dedication to learn, to desire to develop their game + their body, and to end, the way they manage their new millionaire's life.
Galchenyuk is a good example of that last. From a 30 goals scorer, he went to a borderline NHL player

Reactions: 417

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Possible. But the point I'm making is that even when those 1st overall picks were sheltered and not playing much, their organizations still kept them up to get those NHL reps.
Can’t remember for Hughes but I remember Lafrenière faced decent toughness of opposition, even from the 3rd line. Kakko is a beast at driving possession, so it’s not like they were sheltered that much, they just needed time for the offence to translate.

But I understand your point and it’s a fair one. I still think it’s better to send him down.

Lafreniere is one of the most overrated 1st overall picks i've ever seen.
Well imagine how low Slaf is then.

Reactions: ReHabs and Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Absolutely he did. Heck, Suzuki looked awful compared to KK. Then, something broke. These two comets went in totally different directions.
Disagree, don't think Suzuki looked awful but Kotkaniemi was definitely impressing. Kinda intriguing to see all those highlights and nifty plays: C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part III

The highlights of the dangles/vision/flashes of upside I'd say was more frequent than Slaf. KK was mostly definitely better at maintaining/getting puck control at the same age. Yet people will talk like Kotkaniemi was as bad as a rookie 18 year old and Slaf has looked better. Neither should have been bottom 6ers after coming from Liiga as 18 year olds. They need to be able to adapt and produce somewhere first if there's hope of them doing so in NHL.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

Billet family in the NHL? How common is this?

I wish it was someone tied to the organization. The gold standard was Crosby staying with Lemieux.

Seems odd considering he's already been living by himself.

Also hope Xhekaj and Harris keep their nose clean living together dt.
If he’s willing to do that, we shouldn’t argue. Habs can keep tabs on him, he needs to have a minimum standard of behaviour when living with others and he can’t throw wild parties.

Reactions: Canadienna

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Seems odd considering he's already been living by himself.

Also hope Xhekaj and Harris keep their nose clean living together dt.
Even more odd when it was said like yesterday that Slaf and Xhekaj where looking for a place together.

As for the billet family, Matheson offered to do it, but since they aren't mentioning who it is, that sound like they are nobodies (i.e. not a player's family).

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Several Habs players did it ; They were living in the " Chez Paré "'s billet familly.

They’ve been f***ing it up forever. Each new management says they’ll be careful about this and it never works. At 23 years old there’s nothing they can do, but for the first and even second season of young rookies, there has to be something they can do better.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Gallagher is the last player to come up from the AHL

Kotkaniemi is the last one for the NHL
Can we agree that this is slim pickings considering the number of players we have drafted and tried developing in the AHL in the last 15 years?.
I hope we do better in the future, and I'm certain Slaf will end up there sooner than later because of contract issues ( Drouin, Dadonov, Gallagher, Hoffman, Armia & cie) ; but am scared shitless because our abyssal AHL development history.
But this being a tank year, I would prefer that his ice time would be against NHLers, and am positive looking at his progress so far that he could slowly and safely climb up the roster to 2nd line matchups around mid- season.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
They should have done the same with AG. It would have helped him a lot. I think his problems were out of the ice. The guy scored 30 goals he could play hockey.

We’ve heard Gainey, Bergevin, the others… bla bla bla…responsibility…. bla bla bla… Next thing you know, the kids are throwing big money around in clubs every night of the week.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
They’ve been f***ing it up forever. Each new management says they’ll be careful about this and it never works. At 23 years old there’s nothing they can do, but for the first and even second season of young rookies, there has to be something they can do better.
Lekhonen lived with Weber's family his first or two seasons.

The last few years under MB, the kids lived in the apartments owned by the Habs orgs close to the Bell Center. Looks like none are free this year, because the newcomers have been lodged at an hotel since August.

Reactions: Kennerback

dasahgah

Jul 14, 2022
We’ve heard Gainey, Bergevin, the others… bla bla bla…responsibility…. bla bla bla… Next thing you know, the kids are throwing big money around in clubs every night of the week.
Well Galchenyuk was living with his parents. How can you blame the org there. Mete was living with his mother. Gallagher lived with Gorges for 2 years. Matheson offered to take in Slaf.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Knowing what you know today... Who would you have picked #1OA?

Slaf, Nemec, Cooley, Wright? @WeThreeKings ... Your boy Cooley may be the best when it's all said and done.

Not like I dislike Slaf. It's early. Just wondering who stands out more than the other today?
The only player that has surprised and looked good so far would be Lambert but there really wasn't a chance of him going in the top 5-10 at the draft.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Lekhonen lived with Weber's family his first or two seasons.

The last few years under MB, the kids lived in the apartments owned by the Habs orgs close to the Bell Center. Looks like none are free this year, because the newcomers have been lodged at an hotel since August.
I like when they’re supervised by someone they could look up to. Lekhonen with Weber. Plus these people know how it is. Lemieux was caught up in a situation himself when he was present at a place where a teammate was in an incident. It was all over the media... I was told how Lemieux put up safeguards to protect Crosby, I can’t verify the story. But, I never heard anything about Crosby in the media.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Crosby stayed with Lemieux family for at least one year.

Although Lemieux was still playing at the time and was a teammate. As well as part owner so it was like living with your mentor.

They should have done the same with AG. It would have helped him a lot. I think his problems were out of the ice. The guy scored 30 goals he could play hockey.

It helped Gallagher when he stayed at Gorges' at the start of his career. Galchenyuk was because his family moved here and he was living with them. And apparently, that was the problem with all the reports his dad was too involved.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
This would have been a good debate if brought up before the draft. Unfortunately, it is October so you really should compare the Thornton of 1997/98 Bruins not the one in OHL. BTW, Slaf also had 19p in 11g when playing in finnish junior last year. But alas, right now the question is what is the best for his future and I am still not able to see how 4th line in the NHL is worse then AHL, given his mental state
Joe came from a different context than Slaf. My argument against Slaf was exactly this: we cannot expect to know how he will produce. He could be Armia or Pasternak.

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad