Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I always think hes a 2011 draftee. Anyhow... the point was that 18 years old have very little success in the NHL and AHL.

The best 18 YO season by a Habs is by KK, ever.

Unless you're doing due diligence going back a century, you don't use "ever" ever with the Canadiens. The best 18 YO season by a Hab is Mario Tremblay.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If KK hadn’t started at 18, he would have missed his best season ever and the peak of his career. It was downhill after that.
Or maybe he wouldve flourished offensively and would still be with the Habs today... Lol.
Unless you're doing due diligence going back a century, you don't use "ever" ever with the Canadiens. The best 18 YO season by a Hab is Mario Tremblay.
Mario had more points, KK was better.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I always think hes a 2011 draftee. Anyhow... the point was that 18 years old have very little success in the NHL and AHL.

The best 18 YO season by a Habs is by KK, ever.
Galchenyuk's 48 game season in 2013 (0.56 ppg) was arguably better than KK's first season (0.43 ppg). Also, Galch was never a healthy scratch with the Habs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Slaf should have have gotten a condo in one of the Molson towers adjacent to the BC. But yeah, billet families are common in junior leagues, not the NHL. Bet you Slaf is going to get razzed by opposition players over it.
If I recall Kopitar lived w a Slovenian billet family his rookie season in La-La land

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Well Galchenyuk was living with his parents. How can you blame the org there. Mete was living with his mother. Gallagher lived with Gorges for 2 years. Matheson offered to take in Slaf.
His parents were VERYYYY lenient. Chucky was spending most of his weekends at New City Gas. VIP floor. Plus his father was the worst influence.

Love the billet family thing. FINALEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!! This org is night and day.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
His parents were VERYYYY lenient. Chucky was spending most of his weekends at New City Gas. VIP floor. Plus his father was the worst influence.

Love the billet family thing. FINALEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!! This org is night and day.

What kind of family do you think the organization will choose? Someone they know?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't know. Just glad it worked out way it did.

I would probably send Slaf to junior after 9 games. He is not ready and will save a year of cheap on his ELC. Plus a year of control on other end.
This is what I want as well. But I’m assuming that him looking for a billet family in town means he’ll be in Laval or Montreal.

Reactions: jaffy27

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
They have absolutely nothing in common. The comparison with KK are ridiculous.
Other than both being Liiga products with questionable production and flaws in balance who were drafted high by the Habs and subsequently rushed into the NHL as teenagers they have nothing in common.

KK, as a scrawny teen, had a better draft year than Slafkovsky. How’s that for strange.

Everybody develops at different rates and nobody can predict the future but what we know is there’s no such thing as over-ripening. It’s good, not bad, that the Habs have indicated Slaf will be sent to the AHL. Hopefully his development trajectory is better than Kotkaniemi’s…

On the note of KK, it would be a hell of an ass burn if he suddenly breaks good this year and the Canes have him at a darling caphit for the next seven seasons. Ouf.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Still think Jr would be the best place for him. He needs to become the goto scorer. He’s never been. He wouldn’t thrive in the AHL either imo.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It is directly related to Slafkovsky. It is the closest example of 18 years old not thriving in the NHL and being worse off for it.
What does that mean? Kotkaniemi a 3OA did not thrive starting in the NHL at 18. OK. But Svechnikov (2OA) was the same year as Kotkaniemi, Brady (4OA) was the same year as Kotkaniemi, i.e. "just as close", and Stutzle (3OA) was TWO YEARS LATER. So clearly it is not a hard and fast rule that top-4 picks can't develop in the NHL, and I did not include the three successive 1OAs (2018, 2019, 2020) that started in the NHL and have developed.

Kotkaniemi is an outlier, and the main reason is he had no business going third, at best he should have gone 8th-10th. A second reason is that KK was not as sturdy physically at 18 as those who succeeded, other than Hughes.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Please, tell me you are joking. KK had better draft year than Slaf?
Absolutely he did. KK was in Liiga all of his pre-draft season and finished 29pts in 57gp, much better than Juraj getting constantly demoted to Jrs despite his hulking frame and finishing with 10pts in 31gp. At every international level KK did well too, he simply didn’t benefit from a D-list Olympics to further raise his profile.

I never particularly liked KK or the pick but let’s not retcon things okay?

The problem with KK was that he was a project who had much to improve but was undeniably rushed. Will that be the story with the similarly ultra-raw Slafkovsky?

Reactions: Emrasie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad