Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Pastrnak looked way better than Slafkovsky when he was 18.
That’s not what I recall, he had lots of issues w the physicality of the NHL game - spent his first NHL off season training w Chara to put on lots of mass… he was a stick

Pastrnak did look a lot better after his recall from AHL though for the final 25GP

Reactions: Pomee

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
If possible, I would keep him away from the AHL. We really do not have a good track record with our prospects development down there. Sometimes it feels like a black hole. On merit alone, Slaf should be kept in the NHL. He is rapidly adapting and coming along just fine. But the realit is ; as soon as Armia comes back, Slaf is on his way down. Roster spots are given according to “contacts” rather than talent. It’s the only reason why Hoffman, Dadonov and Armia, Drouin and Gallagher are on the roster.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fair. It's too early. What a shitty year to draft #1OA. Looks like a bunch of 2nd tier talent to me. We will see cause we will only know for a few years yet.

Cooley is off to a hot start in the NCAA. Not really fair to compare NCAA to AHL/NHL but worth noting.
He had 3 points in one game against the worst team in the US.

If possible, I would keep him away from the AHL. We really do not have a good track record with our prospects development down there. Sometimes it feels like a black hole. On merit alone, Slaf should be kept in the NHL. He is rapidly adapting and coming along just fine. But the realit is ; as soon as Armia comes back, Slaf is on his way down. Roster spots are given according to “contacts” rather than talent. It’s the only reason why Hoffman, Dadonov and Armia, Drouin and Gallagher are on the roster.
Hows our track record with rushing prospects in the NHL?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of the three, Galchenyuk looked the best at 18 where he had incredible 5on5 ES stats, then Kotkaniemi, then Slafkovsky, but this was expected, and we'll see. It's early in the year.

That's the thing though... It's not about what you do at age 18, it's about what you do at age 18-21 years. That's where most of the growth happens. Some players come in and look good but stall. Some players come in and struggle but overcome the challenges and become very good.

I believe we drafted the guy we felt would be the best player in their prime. Not at age 18.

Reactions: CaptainKirk and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Of the three, Galchenyuk looked the best at 18 where he had incredible 5on5 ES stats, then Kotkaniemi, then Slafkovsky, but this was expected, and we'll see. It's early in the year.
Kotkaniemi looked better at 18 than Nick Suzuki did at the same age.

Performance and development is so volatile at that age, it doesn't really mean much or rather, it's important not to draw too many conclusions at this stage.

Ozolynch

May 28, 2022
I agree players can develop without putting up numbers but Slaf has never shown he can put up the sort of numbers needed that indicate future NHL success

Vinny and Joe both were phenoms in Jr. and put up bundles of points. Not so Slaf.

That isn't to say Slaf won't ever put up points -- Pasternak is a good example of someone who did that. Pasta had 24pts in 36 SEL games in his draft year however...
This would have been a good debate if brought up before the draft. Unfortunately, it is October so you really should compare the Thornton of 1997/98 Bruins not the one in OHL. BTW, Slaf also had 19p in 11g when playing in finnish junior last year. But alas, right now the question is what is the best for his future and I am still not able to see how 4th line in the NHL is worse then AHL, given his mental state

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
How’s our track record with developing players in the AHL ?
I don’t think we can answer any development related questions at present until we see results from the new development program / approach…

Since GOAT Claude Ruel retired following 93 Cup, this org has lacked that development guru / focus.

Will need to wait & see how it plays out under Nicholas, Pellerin, Poulin.

Sure looks as if Slaf will be the litmus test.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
How’s our track record with developing players in the AHL ?

It's a different regime now, who is putting things in place for the development, which will have a bigger emphasis. So the track record is irrelevant right now.

But if you want to see at least one guy who was developed in the AHL and became a full-time NHL'er, you can look at Jake Evans. Started in Laval as a 4C when he turned pro. Worked his way up to becoming their 1C. Then got call ups. And then he earned a full-time spot in the NHL.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Knowing what you know today... Who would you have picked #1OA?

Slaf, Nemec, Cooley, Wright? @WeThreeKings ... Your boy Cooley may be the best when it's all said and done.

Not like I dislike Slaf. It's early. Just wondering who stands out more than the other today?

None of them stand out yet. None of them should probably playing in the NHL this year also. I'm a weirdo who would have drafted Nemec (yes, not a sexy 1OA but not a sexy year for that) but it's going to take a couple of years to see his potential. I just feel our D would have been set for a decade.

Guhle-Nemec
Harris-Mailloux
Jackeye-Barron

Sounds sexy as f***. Who cares about wingers - should be the last of our concerns.

Reactions: Saxon

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
At this moment, the question I'm asking myself is if it's better for Slaf to simply continue getting NHL reps or if he's better off sent down to Laval, where I know it won't hurt him going down, but maybe even in a limited TOI, him getting NHL reps is beneficial.

Lafrenière didn't flourish his first year. But the Rangers kept him in the NHL in a limited role and ice time. It's been a slow build with him and last year in the playoffs, he was real good. And he's off to a good start to the season this year.

Jack Hughes also didn't flourish his first year. But he was never sent down to the AHL (as he was eligible once he turned pro). The Devils kept him in the NHL and he got all his reps. He also wasn't granted top line minutes either.

This isn't to say he should stay in the NHL no matter what. It's just at this moment, I'm asking myself if regardless of his spot in the line-up, maybe he's still better off staying up. Maybe in a few games, I will be convinced he needs to be sent down.
Slaf doesn’t have the same upside Lafrenière and Hughes had.

Reactions: ReHabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would send him down to Laval. It looks like everything is a half step ahead of him. He needs to adjust to the North American game and ice surface. He doesn't look exactly lost on the ice but he does look like he is a step or a reflex behind the play.

I'm okay with things being half a step ahead of him now. It's normal since he's only played 4 games so far. If he stays in the NHL and by the end of October-start of November he's still half a step behind, then send him down.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
None of them stand out yet. None of them should probably playing in the NHL this year also. I'm a weirdo who would have drafted Nemec (yes, not a sexy 1OA but not a sexy year for that) but it's going to take a couple of years to see his potential. I just feel our D would have been set for a decade.

Guhle-Nemec
Harris-Mailloux
Jackeye-Barron

Sounds sexy as f***. Who cares about wingers - should be the last of our concerns.

And then we would be like every other team and in need of muscle and size upfront in our Top 6 as Josh Anderson gets too old when our window open.

Now, we don't have to think about this shit any longer. Slafkovsky will obviously play on our Top 6, plus we got Dach who will probably play on the 2nd or 3rd line. So that's that.

Right now, I certainly wouldn't trade Guhle for Nemec. Obviously getting both would make our defense incredible, but we already have a ton of prospects at D. We didn't need Nemec, ESPECIALLY now as Guhle is showing legit #1 upside.

Reactions: Kennerback

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Slaf isn’t having much impact why waste a year of is ELC on him playing 10min a game on the 3rd line… He need ice time and lot of it, he will get it in the AHL, ice time will accelerate is development, he will adapt to the NHL, playing in the AHL won’t have any negative affect. Let the Dadonov and co ride the bench.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
And then we would be like every other team and in need of muscle and size upfront in our Top 6 as Josh Anderson gets too old when our window open.

Now, we don't have to think about this shit any longer. Slafkovsky will obviously play on our Top 6, plus we got Dach who will probably play on the 2nd or 3rd line. So that's that.

Right now, I certainly wouldn't trade Guhle for Nemec. Obviously getting both would make our defense incredible, but we already have a ton of prospects at D. We didn't need Nemec, ESPECIALLY now as Guhle is showing legit #1 upside.

I just find it's easier to get a top 6 winger through trade and free agency. First pairing Ds you need to draft. Now we need to hope Mailloux becomes that - if he does, perfect, if not, back to square one. That's all, nothing against Slaf per se.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I just find it's easier to get a top 6 winger through trade and free agency. First pairing Ds you need to draft. Now we need to hope Mailloux becomes that - if he does, perfect, if not, back to square one. That's all, nothing against Slaf per se.

A Top 6 winger maybe. A 6'4'' 230 lbs Top 6 winger? I don't think so. Josh Anderson's value on the market tells us everything we need to know about the difficulty of acquiring such a player.

Reactions: Kennerback

Jul 6, 2016
Lafreniere is one of the most overrated 1st overall picks i've ever seen.
He was rated at the right place by most, if not all, pro scouts. Are you one of them ?

the big mistake made by the rangers, and by most other NHL org drafting 1st overall, is to keep the player at NHL level at 18. One more long season in Junior or in Europe would had been better or Laff...and for Slaf & cie. Rangers and Gorton made that mistae not only with Laff, but also with Kravstov and Kakko who are 1st rounders. Habs have done the same with KK. Claude Julien was wise enough to shelter him on a third line and ply him against lesser opponents.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Guhle-Nemec
Harris-Mailloux
Jackeye-Barron

We will see who rises above the other. I don't dislike Nemec either but not so sure he is a top pairing guy either. Top 4D yes.

Nemec as a top 4D
vs
Slaf as a Power forward top 6F.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
At this moment, the question I'm asking myself is if it's better for Slaf to simply continue getting NHL reps or if he's better off sent down to Laval, where I know it won't hurt him going down, but maybe even in a limited TOI, him getting NHL reps is beneficial.

Lafrenière didn't flourish his first year. But the Rangers kept him in the NHL in a limited role and ice time. It's been a slow build with him and last year in the playoffs, he was real good. And he's off to a good start to the season this year.

Jack Hughes also didn't flourish his first year. But he was never sent down to the AHL (as he was eligible once he turned pro). The Devils kept him in the NHL and he got all his reps. He also wasn't granted top line minutes either.

This isn't to say he should stay in the NHL no matter what. It's just at this moment, I'm asking myself if regardless of his spot in the line-up, maybe he's still better off staying up. Maybe in a few games, I will be convinced he needs to be sent down.

I agree with everything you wrote. He is improving each game which for now which would point that he should maybe stay up? At the same time, maybe he would develop faster in the AHL?

Slaf is a bit of a mixed bag right now. He creates high quality scoring chances several times per game and more than most of his linemates but at the same time he still crowds the puck carrier and seems lost at times. He needs to defer to his linemates less and shoot more too

I would not be shocked if he's either kept in the Montreal or sent to Laval. Who has his right in the OHL btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad