OT: 2021 Weather thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Lightning does occur in winter storms in winter climates. it can happen, not as common, but also harder to see and detect in a squawl.
I can remember an electrical storm driving to work at 7:30 in the morning in the middle of December (probably 1989 or 1990). So it has happened here before. That was one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen before, weather wise.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can remember an electrical storm driving to work at 7:30 in the morning in the middle of December (probably 1989 or 1990). So it has happened here before. That was one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen before, weather wise.
I've seen a big thunder/lightning storm the middle of January not too long ago. Of course, the wins weren't as crazy as last night. But it was weird for sure.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As an Edmonton sports fan I'll take any wins at this point, bring it on..;)
Lol.

Well, I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end. I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend. But I've never thought I'd see f***ing winds like that again....

- Stoneman Taylor

Reactions: Drivesaitl

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Hope you finished all your marking already.

This has been my best year so far for keeping up on my marking for some odd reason.

Just give them all A’s and be done.

He’s a teacher, not a charity.

Ok if he is heartless then chuck a few B’s, C’s, D’s and an F in there to make it look random.

More like he’ll chuck the occasional C in there amidst a sea of Fs.

I prefer the stair method. I throw the pile down the stairs and they get 10% for every stair.

Just have him go A C D C as he flips through their papers

No but I threatened to make that the entire pattern for one of my multiple choice tests, just to mess with them.

I’m surprised you didn’t say DDD.

That is something one of my high school students would do.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This has been my best year so far for keeping up on my marking for some odd reason.

I prefer the stair method. I throw the pile down the stairs and they get 10% for every stair.

No but I threatened to make that the entire pattern for one of my multiple choice tests, just to mess with them.

That is something one of my high school students would do.

Probably your best year because there’s a generation pandemic going on. ;)

Teaching high school must be bonkers with everything that goes on.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not looking good for the remainder of January and worse through February 11th, when the Arctic air makes a big push after the 1st.
Just looked at the long term (2 week ) forecast and not so bad. Sure, there are some cold periods, but that should be more than expected this time of year. January 25th is our coldest average day, and everything surrounding it is cold. The good news is that this doesn't look like it's going to be a month long deep freeze, and the temps aren't projected to be mind numbing like last year.

Silver lining - it should keep people away from each other for a while, and help the self isolating part.;)

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Just looked at the long term (2 week ) forecast and not so bad. Sure, there are some cold periods, but that should be more than expected this time of year. January 25th is our coldest average day, and everything surrounding it is cold. The good news is that this doesn't look like it's going to be a month long deep freeze, and the temps aren't projected to be mind numbing like last year.

Silver lining - it should keep people away from each other for a while, and help the self isolating part.;)

If you're going off the Weather Network, I'd be leery of the long range forecast. It's mostly just showing the average and treating that as the expected temperatures.

I use the GFS 2m (shaded) temperature model at Forecast Models - Tropical Tidbits. Generally, they have a 384 hour forecast trend. It defaults to the continental United States view but the only other relevant view is the North America one.

Yesterday, it looked bad. Today, there might be a longer warm period before the Arctic air plunges south.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember some model of forecasting saying we were going to have an extremely cold winter. Almost 3 months done, and still waiting. As long as we can avoid weeks of minus 35-40, I'm ain't 'fraid.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
These last two weeks were colder than average but still pretty damn nice. Not much wind and plenty of sunshine. It's been a lovely winter since the November debacle.

Looks like we're heading into a deep freeze and general cold that won't end until the beginning of March to make up for it.

I did see the 2020 weather models and how the whole globe was warmer.. Looked at Alberta and saw it was warmer in 2020 and I call mother f***ing bullshit.
I'm not a climate change disbeliever.. but there is no f***ing way we had a warm year in 2020... no f***ing way.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
These last two weeks were colder than average but still pretty damn nice. Not much wind and plenty of sunshine. It's been a lovely winter since the November debacle.

Looks like we're heading into a deep freeze and general cold that won't end until the beginning of March to make up for it.

I did see the 2020 weather models and how the whole globe was warmer.. Looked at Alberta and saw it was warmer in 2020 and I call mother f***ing bullshit.
I'm not a climate change disbeliever.. but there is no f***ing way we had a warm year in 2020... no f***ing way.
September: High 25, Low -2, Avg 12
October: High 18, Low -12, Avg 3
November: High 12, Low -20, Avg -3
December: High 6, Low -18, Avg -7

September: High 27, Low 1, Avg 13
October: High 22, Low -14, Avg 3
November: High 17, Low -18 Avg -4
December: High 9, Low -20, Avg -4

So outside of the average for November it was warmer.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
September: High 25, Low -2, Avg 12
October: High 18, Low -12, Avg 3
November: High 12, Low -20, Avg -3
December: High 6, Low -18, Avg -7

September: High 27, Low 1, Avg 13
October: High 22, Low -14, Avg 3
November: High 17, Low -18 Avg -4
December: High 9, Low -20, Avg -4

So outside of the average for November it was warmer.

I'm sure there's recordings with those numbers. I'm just at a loss at how I'd describe last year as one of the coldest ones I've ever remembered is actually one of the hottest?
I know it was one of the wettest. And I'd associate wet years with cooler weather.

I guess I'm either out to lunch or the numbers are.... massaged or changed in a way to reflect an agenda.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sure there's recordings with those numbers. I'm just at a loss at how I'd describe last year as one of the coldest ones I've ever remembered is actually one of the hottest?
I know it was one of the wettest. And I'd associate wet years with cooler weather.

I guess I'm either out to lunch or the numbers are.... massaged or changed in a way to reflect an agenda.
Unless you think all the thermostats were changed in some conspiracies...

I feel like the whole Covid thing and people spending less time enjoying life might make things feel cooler.

Last year absolutely wasn't good, especially the start of winter was weirdly warm.

Also with the whole warmer temperature thing often the average temperature climbs but the extremes can get more extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad