OT: 2021 Weather thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Untreated diesel freezes around -20.

Thankfully in Canada, the fuel suppliers automatically treat the diesel from October till April AND they treat it to stay liquefied in temperatures below -40. Your engine coolant will freeze before your diesel will (learnt this the hard way one night 5ish years ago). This is something Canada gets right with its fuel nationwide.

America does not do this, even in the northern states that see winters. If a cold snap occurs in a state, the truck stop owner will check the weather the morning of their day, and order their diesel to be treated to the forecasted temperature. So if their area is forecasted to see -25, they order diesel to be treated to stay liquefied at -25. So if the weather man blows it, and the actual air temperature is -35.......their fuel will still freeze and gel/solidify.

This is going to be an adventure over the next couple weeks

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Untreated diesel freezes around -20.

Thankfully in Canada, the fuel suppliers automatically treat the diesel from October till April AND they treat it to stay liquefied in temperatures below -40. Your engine coolant will freeze before your diesel will (learnt this the hard way one night 5ish years ago). This is something Canada gets right with its fuel nationwide.

America does not do this, even in the northern states that see winters. If a cold snap occurs in a state, the truck stop owner will check the weather the morning of their day, and order their diesel to be treated to the forecasted temperature. So if their area is forecasted to see -25, they order diesel to be treated to stay liquefied at -25. So if the weather man blows it, and the actual air temperature is -35.......their fuel will still freeze and gel/solidify.

This is going to be an adventure over the next couple weeks

Is there still a rule that a trucker has to buy fuel in a state, even if the truck has enough fuel to pass through the state?

Reactions: yukoner88

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Is there still a rule that a trucker has to buy fuel in a state, even if the truck has enough fuel to pass through the state?

No, I think IFTA took care of that. But as a rule of thumb, it's not a bad habit at this time of the year, when driving northbound because some states are better then others for fuel quality.

There is anti-gel stuff you can get off the shelf, but that gets expensive real quick

Reactions: oilers'72

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wonder if the schools shut down at least for next Monday. -49 with the windchill is pretty insane, especially for kiddos

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yikes!! I am contemplating moving back in a year or two. This is not making that any easier.

It’s really been a beautiful winter for the most part. Not much snow, lots of sunshine, and this is really the first lengthy miserable cold snap we’ve had. And this should only last a couple of weeks.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
And the worst month of the calendar year is coming up. March. Blech.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
artworks-000491899479-nyd7g0-t500x500.jpg

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
:lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! We even had snow on Haleakala a few days ago. Don't worry, when it's 95 degrees with high humidity here and you guys have weather similar to ours right now I will be telling you to f*** off too! :biglaugh:

Not surprised about the snow. Only 7 peaks in Canada are higher than Haleakala. Does the snow at the peak completely melt or is it permanent?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not surprised about the snow. Only 7 peaks in Canada are higher than Haleakala. Does the snow at the peak completely melt or is it permanent?

I believe it melted by the next morning. Last year I believe we had snow on Haleakala for a week straight, that was a first in my lifetime. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are taller mountains on Hawai'i island and they typically get more snow and it likely stays longer as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It’s really been a beautiful winter for the most part. Not much snow, lots of sunshine, and this is really the first lengthy miserable cold snap we’ve had. And this should only last a couple of weeks.
I was actually aware of that. I watch the morning news from Global Edmnton and they had virtually every day in January as above average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->