OT: 2021 Weather thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
AS we approach Christmas season I know a lot of people drive, and maybe even from out of city to spend time with friends and family through Christmas season.

But roads are really bad, and RCMP have ordered tow bans on multiple highways including the main highway, QEII Yellowhead was also a disaster area yesterday west of Edmonton. Cars, trucks, semis off road everywhere or in accidents.

Snowy roads in the Edmonton region, RCMP issue tow ban on QEII - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

The slow gradual accumulation of snow we have been seeing for now days of near constant precipitation is creating gloss conditions few drivers are familiar with. By all means if you can stay home, stay home. Even city streets are a nightmare out there.

Have to mention as well the brutal cold snap approaching. Highway closures are imminent this weekend with these conditions, and if you are on the highway you could be stuck on closed or impassable highways and with stop orders on towing in place.

just figured some advisory needs to be here, and as many people as possible alerted.

Our son drove back to Calgary today instead of tomorrow. He got home safe and sound but the roads were as bad as he’s ever seen it he said. Thankfully he has an AWD with studded winters and is a very experienced winter highway driver so he was good and got home safely.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
NI5bVpQ.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our son drove back to Calgary today instead of tomorrow. He got home safe and sound but the roads were as bad as he’s ever seen it he said. Thankfully he has an AWD with studded winters and is a very experienced winter highway driver so he was good and got home safely.

Good to hear. But also evident it took everything for that safe drive to occur. Yeah, like I said the constant small amounts of glossings of snow, combined with low temperatures and blowing snow on at grade highways such as QEII create near perfect curling ice. Even more so in especially wind exposed segments as much of that highway tends to be. Combine with it being a higher speed highway and doofuses still wanting to drive that at high speed and its treacherous.

Myself as driving skills decrease (of other drivers primarily) and standardization and training of those drivers is less good, I stay off highways/freeways in certain conditions.

Heres something I'll add because I find many people do not do it. How many out there are even throwing safety provisions in the car for usage. This should include blankets, change of coats(always have some warmer coats in the car. maybe be longjohns. Have some food supplies like trail mix and have matches lighters and candles. Something as simple as that can save your life. Also if you do go offroad and it seems like you can't get back on, its advisable to move car to clear the road rather than trying to get half back on the road (and hit) Most people that die after accidents die because a subsequent vehicle piles into them as they sit there or if people are leaving vehicle. Yet again last week a 21 yr old youth was killed post initial accident as he was crossing the road to confer with another driver and got smoke by a semi going high speed.

The lastt part isn't even apparently taught in driver training today, that after an accident your decision making won't be right. People in a state of daze will do stupid things they would not normally do. An accident can result in people not checking both ways before crossing a road, or just standing on a road in shock, etc. The most dangerous time is immediately AFTER an initial accident. Its always one of those vague counterintuitive points that I feel is very important to be teaching. Without which people die unnecessarily It seems like defensive driver training, it doesn't exist to same degree today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is just another mention, and its truly unfortunate. In this province, on all our major highways the number and amount of pullouts has been reduced. Many that used to exist no longer exist. So that once on a highway like QE or the Yellowhead one had to whiteknuckle through to the next major town or pullout despite how they might feel as a driver. Its possible to get stressed, rattled, while on the road and drivers in less than ideal states, including lack of sleep are fairly forced to just keep continuing on as pulling over anytime on shoulders, or especially in winter is very dangerous. There should be more stopping or rest areas and there should be mandaded reduced speeds in these conditions. Even if some feel like the conditions merit full speed it probably shouldn't be full speed. With whiteout conditions, or lack of visibility and increased stopping distances in less than ideal road conditions speeds should be lower. In these conditions the emphasis should be on just making it home, just finishing the journey, not how fast it takes.

Anyway the -40-50C windchills are happening right now. Stay warm and safe peeps.

Gonna link this advisory, its cold conditions out there.

Alerts: Edmonton, Alberta: City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park - The Weather Network

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Happy to hear he made it safe.

I had family do that trip the opposite way back up to Edmonton, said it was the worst they’ve ever seen it.

slow and steady definitely won the race that day

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yesterday, day before, was near perfect out and about weather, Snow shoeing or walking weather. The wife and I were commenting its just the perfect temps where you don't sweat at all. Only thing though is I have to put corks in my nostrils or something. But on Christmas day to me it was just beautiful weather out. -25C is nothing to me.

Only part yesterday getting cold was the hands. Will have to wear insulated mitts today. WE have the nice outdoor boots that are rated to withstand 8hrs of cold. Warm feet, just great. Mine have the good grips as well.

Mad Hatters, MWTC sell EXCELLENT toques (look for the double layered ones with interior faux fur lining) for about 6 bucks. My head never gets cold in these things. They don't let wind through like lousy knit toques do. We're just wearing the thin lined, Eddie Bauer jackets with wind breaker/weather proofing. I think they're rated to around -20 but we're fine. We haven't even pulled out the thicker parkas this year.

One benefit of gaining 20-30lbs over ideal weight is with the blubber you just don't get cold. When I was an ectomorph I hated these temps.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yesterday, day before, was near perfect out and about weather, Snow shoeing or walking weather. The wife and I were commenting its just the perfect temps where you don't sweat at all. Only thing though is I have to put corks in my nostrils or something. But on Christmas day to me it was just beautiful weather out. -25C is nothing to me.

Only part yesterday getting cold was the hands. Will have to wear insulated mitts today. WE have the nice outdoor boots that are rated to withstand 8hrs of cold. Warm feet, just great. Mine have the good grips as well.

Mad Hatters, MWTC sell EXCELLENT toques (look for the double layered ones with interior faux fur lining) for about 6 bucks. My head never gets cold in these things. They don't let wind through like lousy knit toques do. We're just wearing the thin lined, Eddie Bauer jackets with wind breaker/weather proofing. I think they're rated to around -20 but we're fine. We haven't even pulled out the thicker parkas this year.

One benefit of gaining 20-30lbs over ideal weight is with the blubber you just don't get cold. When I was an ectomorph I hated these temps.

You lost me at putting corks in your nostrils. Haha. I like around -10 to -15, as I like to take our little dog with me. Anything colder than that he can’t handle for too long. My wife got some heated gloves as a present this year, will try them out this week. Charge via USB, says the heat lasts 3-6 hours depending on what setting you use.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You lost me at putting corks in your nostrils. Haha. I like around -10 to -15, as I like to take our little dog with me. Anything colder than that he can’t handle for too long. My wife got some heated gloves as a present this year, will try them out this week. Charge via USB, says the heat lasts 3-6 hours depending on what setting you use.

One of our two cats thinks she likes going outside almost every day. But apparently she's not a goldfish brain. There are days like the last week where she's not whining to go out. I take her out for strolls in her harness. She loves going out in summer time or as long as its not under -10.

I find with gloves the Insulated Mitts, a good pair, they work pretty good. But move around a bit before you go outside. Hands and feet stay warmer if the body is active. Another trick is walking around a bit in the house, dressed to go out, and then going out. That captures in some natural heat pretty nicely. My achilles heel outdoors in cold temps is a runny nose. Had that my whole life.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
hey man this is the stuff that kills off the pine beetles and other invasive pests that have been wreaking havoc on the forests

cheer for old man winter to kill off them foreign bastards
Are you also referring to any of the recent immigrants to this country?;)

Reactions: yukoner88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad