Pre-Game Talk: 2021 Training Camp

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It’s probably just me and my delay into paying deeper attention this season but it feels like there’s exceedingly little info out there for this camp. I’ve basically read the one article from Sara and not really anything else...

Given the current lack of TV providers and lack of hype and general information around camp I'm not sure how a casual fan would know that the Canes are playing this Thursday. One would think they would want to drive interest.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Gardiner's been given main power play assignments throughout camp, while Bean hasn't. He's almost certainly going to be the #5.

Yeah, I guess I was meaning as the season wears on. Skjei and Bean getting glowing reviews out of camp, and while you see Gardiner's name on the PP unit - you don't hear a lot of positives coming out about him.

We've all seen him play, and honestly - if it weren't for the contract we've signed him to, he wouldn't be getting this opportunity. I hope I'm wrong, but the only way I see him being in ahead of Jake Bean by mid-Feburary is stubbornness.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Like I said before, this was a camp largely without intrigue in the form of roster battles. We got a little bit of hemming and hawing about lines for like a minute. Even in normal times, the most exciting thing would have been seeing our better prospects in a game or two. Nothing much to see here.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jarvis scored in the scrimmage, per this recap:

Three Takeaways from Red-White Scrimmage

That’s about the only mention of him or Rees at all since camp began.

From the article:

"I like to use my skating to my advantage and get up into the offense," Skjei said. "I was playing with Pesce for most of the scrimmage, and with him back there to man the fort, you feel pretty good jumping up into the play."

This is why the Canes paid a 1st round pick for Skjei. Rod wants the same Slavin-Hamilton dynamic on the 2nd pair.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
From the article:

"I like to use my skating to my advantage and get up into the offense," Skjei said. "I was playing with Pesce for most of the scrimmage, and with him back there to man the fort, you feel pretty good jumping up into the play."

This is why the Canes paid a 1st round pick for Skjei. Rod wants the same Slavin-Hamilton dynamic on the 2nd pair.

I think that Hockey Twitter pays too much attention to the rote analytics sometimes when judging the value of players. Even in bad years, Skjei's always had a tantalizing physical profile. Much like Dougie, big guys are usually not as agile or fast as Skjei is. A low first rounder for 4 seasons of a potential top-4 guy who's only 26 is good value, especially when you consider that Taylor Hall's expiring contract got considerably more. Of course, Taylor Hall is a far better player and a borderline franchise guy, but the point remains that team control is valuable. I'm hopeful that Skjei's analytics will skyrocket this year, but we'll see.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure it was closed to the public and there was no streaming service, so other than blurbs online from coaches and reporters that could attend, none of us really know.

That's insane. Great way to grow team support, huh? I enjoyed my trip to see my Flyers play in Raleigh last season, despite the L lol.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yeah, I guess I was meaning as the season wears on. Skjei and Bean getting glowing reviews out of camp, and while you see Gardiner's name on the PP unit - you don't hear a lot of positives coming out about him.

We've all seen him play, and honestly - if it weren't for the contract we've signed him to, he wouldn't be getting this opportunity. I hope I'm wrong, but the only way I see him being in ahead of Jake Bean by mid-Feburary is stubbornness.

I'm optimistic about Gardiner. His underlying numbers indicate that low save percentages while he was on the ice last year, relative to past seasons, are probably unlikely to occur this year. His numbers were also way better with Fleury than with any other third-pairing partner last year. Of course, though, we'll see. Overall, I'm genuinely excited about our defense with a healthy Dougie and Pesce.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Given the current lack of TV providers and lack of hype and general information around camp I'm not sure how a casual fan would know that the Canes are playing this Thursday. One would think they would want to drive interest.

I was screwed with YTTV and FSS/FSSE as well. I'm a big ATL UTD fan (and resident) and it was how I watched all the matches. Not that I had incentive to watch the shit show the team had become, but I have no way to watch now.

Crazy times.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
On a side note, with Ryan on waivers, it's interesting to see that Nedeljkovic is about to make the roster. Seems like the organization is a lot higher on him than some members of our board are. Because Geekie and Bean are waivers-exempt, you can still do the requisite cap gymnastics with them in order to keep the options open at the trade deadline.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's insane. Great way to grow team support, huh? I enjoyed my trip to see my Flyers play in Raleigh last season, despite the L lol.

It's Covid related that are preventing people from being there. There are limits to how many people can gather indoors in North Carolina. Plus, the last thing the Canes need is for a player to be out for 2 weeks due to Covid.

As for the streaming, it's a brand new training facility so they just weren't set up for it yet.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It’s probably just me and my delay into paying deeper attention this season but it feels like there’s exceedingly little info out there for this camp. I’ve basically read the one article from Sara and not really anything else.

The Rod quote on Bean is fascinating and at the same time completely unsurprising. Doesn’t want to see him in the lineup this season because that means something has gone wrong. In the same article where she says Bean is basically killing it. We know he’s down in the lineup but you could at least say you enjoy watching him play well? Just part of not having that much info, probably just one quote that doesn’t see a bigger picture but still...

He does say he’ll play this season but because Rod expects we’ll have enough injuries to force it.

My understanding, is that due to Covid, there has been limitations to even reporters being able to attend, so it make sense that there's less info out there. they are getting it via zoom calls /videos from players/coaches after the fact and a few blurbs from others.

EDIT: Canes0506 beat me to it.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It's Covid related that are preventing people from being there. There are limits to how many people can gather indoors in North Carolina. Plus, the last thing the Canes need is for a player to be out for 2 weeks due to Covid.

As for the streaming, it's a brand new training facility so they just weren't set up for it yet.

Should've had scrimmage in the arena (if possible). That's what the Flyers did and broadcast the whole thing on NBC Philly.

Sorry, I just love the canes prospect pool and own a bunch in my dynasty fantasy league.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Should've had scrimmage in the arena (if possible). That's what the Flyers did and broadcast the whole thing on NBC Philly.

Sorry, I just love the canes prospect pool and own a bunch in my dynasty fantasy league.

Maybe that would have been better, but streaming a scrimmage (or having a small number of fans come watch) in the middle of the day would have had zero impact on growing the game in Carolina, because the only ones watching it would have been people who are already more heavily invested in the team.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Might have been possible. But with NC State playing games, that might have meant a change in the flooring between the scrimmage to the next basketball game. That cost money and with neither event having any paying customers, I can see why they wouldn't have done it even if possible.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
On a side note, with Ryan on waivers, it's interesting to see that Nedeljkovic is about to make the roster. Seems like the organization is a lot higher on him than some members of our board are. Because Geekie and Bean are waivers-exempt, you can still do the requisite cap gymnastics with them in order to keep the options open at the trade deadline.
I feel like Nedeljkovic making the roster has a lot more to do with the COVID shortened season, compressed schedule, chance of a team or position group outbreak, and teams like WAS and NJD recently losing their backup goalies. Ned may or may not pass through waivers and the likelihood of needing the 3rd string goalie this season is higher than normal years. Plus, he did win goalie of the year in the AHL 2 seasons ago so he likely has some perceived value. It is just too big of a risk, and potential bad asset management, to try and slip him through waivers and lose him for nothing.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
They have to have a 3rd goalie and it's either him or Bibeau. Not wanting him to potentially be claimed when he's the obvious 3rd goalie right now doesn't seem to equate to the front office loving him necessarily. They may just wait until the dust settles, especially with a team like NJ losing a goalie late in camp, and then try to push him through waivers and onto the taxi squad.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Yes. You would think the Canes would at least be promoting the (legal) ways of watching the broadcasts given the current state of affairs. TD always taked about marketing being important.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Hope this is for experimental purposes.

As an aside, Skjei was on SiriusNHL yesterday. He was pretty lowkey but did speak about what a big presence Trocheck is in the locker room - sounds like he's moving into an informal leadership role on the team.

Negotiations with Svech's agent hitting a rough patch?

*Dundon lurking in the shadows*: "Put him with Staal"

We will see how much Svech commands after his 40 point season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

And now the Canes claim Forsberg. Interesting.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Negotiations with Svech's agent hitting a rough patch?

*Dundon lurking in the shadows*: "Put him with Staal"

We will see how much Svech commands after his 40 point season.
going with the older lineup where Turbo and Aho were with Staal.

turn Svech and Necas loose on the NHL and let Staal be the 3rd defender?

Turn Trocheck, Foegele and Fast into the checking line that has more scoring potential.

I like that much better than Necas and Foegele with Staal.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I know. Maybe Forsberg is their #3?

I assume that's why they claimed him, but I may be wrong. If there are no other moves (ie...Reimer getting moved), to me this probably means 1 of 2 things.
1) Canes don't trust Ned as a #3
2) Canes don't want Ned sitting on the sideline so they hope to get him to the AHL and play games there (if he passes through waivers).

Reactions: AD Skinner

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Looks like NJ claimed a goalie of a somewhat similar profile to Ned. Probably lends credence to wanting to protect Ned for now. I would assume Forsberg will need to quarantine before we get him on the squad. Might line up fairly well with being able to send down Ned for the start of Chicago's season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad