Pre-Game Talk: 2021 Training Camp

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Agreed, if you look at it as the team not having a preference between Ned or Forsberg then it's a no-risk attempt to save 700k against the cap and get a third goalie on the taxi squad.

Worst case Ned gets claimed and they're back to having a third goalie on the 23 anyway, with the possibility the claiming team waives soon anyway. Best case scenario, he clears and then you just waive Forsberg again and Edmonton claims him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the game group has been pretty obvious to everyone.

Nino, Aho, TT, Svech, Trochek, Fast, Foegele, Staal, Necas, Martinook McGinn, Dzingel, Geekie (13F)
Slavin, Hamilton, Skjei, Pesce, Gardiner, Fleury (D) plus probably one of Bean / Ryan as the extra (7F)
Mrazek/Reimer.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ugh, i just realized Nino is on the books for 2 more years. :banghead:
he is expansion fodder. TBH, I dont think it would be hard to move him if we needed to this upcoming off-season. If it is, he is a good bridge for any of the upcoming top picks we have waiting to join the roster, Suzuki, Rees, Jarvis, etc. It will work out for us.

TBH most of our contracts work out just fine with the timeline to keep our young folks and make room on the roster.

21-22 Out Dzingel, one of McGinn/Marty, in: bridged but expensive Svech, expensive Dougie, cheap ELCs like Drury, Rees, etc
22-23- out Nino and possibly Trocheck. In more expensive Necas and more ELCs
23-24- out Staal, Gardiner, in Even more but long term Svech, cheaper Staal, and more ELCs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
he is expansion fodder. TBH, I dont think it would be hard to move him if we needed to this upcoming off-season. If it is, he is a good bridge for any of the upcoming top picks we have waiting to join the roster, Suzuki, Rees, Jarvis, etc. It will work out for us.

TBH most of our contracts work out just fine with the timeline to keep our young folks and make room on the roster.

21-22 Out Dzingel, one of McGinn/Marty, in: bridged but expensive Svech, expensive Dougie, cheap ELCs like Drury, Rees, etc
23-24- out Staal, Gardiner, in Even more but long term Svech, cheaper Staal, and more ELCs.

My personal expectations for the young guys in terms of introduction:

21-22: Bean (full-time), Geekie (full-time), Cotton, Lorentz
22-23: Keane, Sellgren, Drury, Jarvis
23-24: Bokk, Suzuki, Gunler, Rees
24-25: Puistola, Tieksola, Honka, Ponomaryov

If some of the guys are ready earlier, great! Most of these guys will be ready later than my timeline or never ready at all (aka. traded at the deadline for win-now players or "busted"). But for the most part, I expect a VERY patient development curve for almost every prospect in our system unless a guy like Jarvis utterly blows everyone away next year in camp. Guys in Russia/Europe or in the NCAA will be even more slowly tracked in. I see plenty of 23-25 year old rookies in our future, for that reason.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I actually believe the 2 of 3 out of McGinn, Martinook, and Foegele will be gone next season.

My personal expectations for the young guys in terms of introduction:

21-22: Bean (full-time), Geekie (full-time), Cotton, Lorentz
22-23: Keane, Sellgren, Drury, Jarvis
23-24: Bokk, Suzuki, Gunler, Rees
24-25: Puistola, Tieksola, Honka, Ponomaryov

If some of the guys are ready earlier, great! Most of these guys will be ready later than my timeline or never ready at all (aka. traded at the deadline for win-now players or "busted"). But for the most part, I expect a VERY patient development curve for almost every prospect in our system unless a guy like Jarvis utterly blows everyone away next year in camp. Guys in Russia/Europe or in the NCAA will be even more slowly tracked in. I see plenty of 23-25 year old rookies in our future, for that reason.

You do know our coach is Rod Brind'Amour, right? Unless there are injuries galore and Geekie and Bean get significant minutes this season, there's no way you'll see 4 rookies in the line up on this team....

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You do know our coach is Rod Brind'Amour, right? Unless there are injuries galore and Geekie and Bean get significant minutes this season, there's no way you'll see 4 rookies in the line up on this team....

Funnily enough, Rod Brind'Amour's 1st season he had 5 rookies in the opening night line-up. Svechnikov, Wallmark, Necas, Foegele, and Zykov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad