Pre-Game Talk: 2021 Training Camp

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Interesting that Suzuki, Rees, & Jarvis were all sent to the AHL...I thought they had to be 20 or have completed like 4+ CHL seasons to do that? Have they made an exception this year because the OHL/WHL aren't playing?

Yes. Until the CHL leagues have a definitive start, the U-20 CHL draftees are allowed to play in the AHL.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

More limbo for him. Sounds a little like the Gauthier situation of last season.

I think one difference is Gauthier "kinda" had a spot to take in training camp. Necas got it instead. There really isn't a spot for Bean to take right now. He's not playing ahead of Slavin, Hamilton, Pesce, or Skjei for sure. We've all bemoaned Fleury not getting enough of a chance talked about how good he looked in the RTP/Playoffs last year so he's not taking Fleury's spot.

The only possible spot is Gardiner and rarely to teams sit an NHL vet getting paid what Gardiner does. The real test IMO, is if there is an injury, who does Rod turn to. My "guess" is that if it's an offensive guy that gets hurt (Hamilton, Gardiner...and maybe Skjei), they would turn to Bean. If it's a defensive guy (Slavin, Pesce or Fleury), they probably turn to Ryan. Just a guess though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Staal learning to play offense would mean being able to run two middle six lines that can score. If Nino can do that he can be the 3rd link in the first line letting Svech lead the 2nd line.

I would say that if either one has a good season Canes will be really good.

We don't need a ton of offense from him (Staal). If Staal plays like he did after returning from injury in 2018 (and in the 2018 playoffs), we'll be fine. He had 4G, 6A and was +7 in 15 playoff games, and 17 points and was +17 in 21 games post injury in 2018/19.

If Staal produces as badly as he did last year, then we really need multiple guys like Trocheck and Nino, to have big bounceback years and nobody else drop off a cliff.

I'd like to see about 10G, 30-35P from Staal this year (in 56 games which would be 16G, 45-50P per 82 games). If he gives us that, I'm happy.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
We don't need a ton of offense from him (Staal). If Staal plays like he did after returning from injury in 2018 (and in the 2018 playoffs), we'll be fine. He had 4G, 6A and was +7 in 15 playoff games, and 17 points and was +17 in 21 games post injury in 2018/19.

If Staal produces as badly as he did last year, then we really need multiple guys like Trocheck and Nino, to have big bounceback years and nobody else drop off a cliff.

I'd like to see about 10G, 30-35P from Staal this year (in 56 games which would be 16G, 45-50P per 82 games). If he gives us that, I'm happy.
Be prepared to be sad :naughty:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Interesting that Suzuki, Rees, & Jarvis were all sent to the AHL...I thought they had to be 20 or have completed like 4+ CHL seasons to do that? Have they made an exception this year because the OHL/WHL aren't playing?

I haven't seen anything official from the leagues, but one of the insiders said teams were told the NHL/CHL agreement would not be enforced for as long as their junior seasons are not being played.

With how not ideal the pandemic has made everything, I hope Jarvis/Suzuki/Rees et al. can all get a decent run of AHL games. That experience was certainly a big boost with Staal and Ward during the 04-05 lockout.

Ghost edit: whoops just saw this already answered above, carry on then

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
At this point I think Rod is just projecting himself on Jordan.

Rod was 31/32 when his offense dried up a bit, the year before the lockout. His worst ever. And he came back like the goddamn machine he is and had another 3-4 elite 2-way seasons.

I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in hell that Staal has that in him for a number of reasons, but that’s my only explanation for putting 2 offense first wings out there with him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A center who can keep his head above water against top competition with 3rd line wingers (when absent an offensive driver on a line) and 2nd unit PP time is not much of an inefficiency.

The quality of Staal's minutes has decreased. The expectations of his overall statline should follow. If he can get 35-40 in a full season (24-27 in a 56) and be a plus player at EV, which is not far from he was in 19-20, he'll be pulling his weight.

Reactions: emptyNedder

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
NHL Rookies:
1. Kirill Kaprizov
, LW, Wild: Good things come to those who wait. Kaprizov is finally in St. Paul and is going to step into a top role on a team starved for offense. His skills are ridiculous, and as such, most of the power play will run through him.
2. Igor Shesterkin, G, Rangers: It's hard for a goalie to win the Calder, but Shesterkin already has the skills to be a top-10 netminder in the NHL
3. Alexis Lafreniere, W, Rangers: Lafreniere would be at the top of this list if he were guaranteed a gig in the top six. But he's a natural left winger that's going to play behind Artemi Panarin and Chris Kreider. Lafreniere's gifts are stunning, and he'll be among the league's best for years, but he may only be in the Calder conversation if he gets time on the power play.
4. Ilya Sorokin, G, Islanders: Sorokin took longer to get to the NHL than peers Alexandar Georgiev, Shesterkin and Ilya Samsonov. But he could be the best of the bunch. The Islanders use a platoon, so Sorokin should get plenty of playing time; that is, if he can adjust quickly to NHL traffic in front of the blue paint.
5. Tim Stuetzle, C, Senators: Stuetzle is a beast and flat-out fun to watch. He was the most noticeable player on the ice at the recent IIHF World Junior Championship and finished with five goals and five assists in just five games.
Fantasy Hockey Draft Prep: Top 10 NHL rookies in a loaded 2021 class

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Also might be that they prefer Forsberg, but they are required to have a third goalie for now, so Ned is on the taxi squad until Forsberg presumably finishes quarantining. It will be interesting to see.
interesting thought.

I wonder if passing through waivers for the Taxi squad is the same for the AHL. In olden times, once a player passes through waivers they dont have to pass through waivers again, up or down for 30 days(?), I believe. Not sure if they added another layer to that with taxi squad being between the AHL and the NHL.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
interesting thought.

I wonder if passing through waivers for the Taxi squad is the same for the AHL. In olden times, once a player passes through waivers they dont have to pass through waivers again, up or down for 30 days(?), I believe. Not sure if they added another layer to that with taxi squad being between the AHL and the NHL.
I read somewhere on Hf that the same rules apply. If Ned plays a certain number of games or is on the roster (not taxi squad) for the required number of days (30?), he has to go through waivers again. If he’s on the taxi squad only, I believe it doesn’t count as days on the roster.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I read somewhere on Hf that the same rules apply. If Ned plays a certain number of games or is on the roster (not taxi squad) for the required number of days (30?), he has to go through waivers again. If he’s on the taxi squad only, I believe it doesn’t count as days on the roster.
Thanks for sharing. I believe it was 30 days or 5(or 10) games.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
interesting thought.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. They could send Ned down to Chicago after Forsberg is done quarantining without waivers again before the AHL season is scheduled to start. I'm not sure that's the plan, it's just an option. And in the meantime, they aren't charged a cap hit for both Ned and Forsberg as Ned's one-way contract can be fully buried on the taxi squad. Perhaps Forsberg was just an insurance policy though and he'll hit waivers again soon.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I missed that a third goalie is required on the taxi squad if you don't carry 3 goalies on the roster. That explains the pickup of Forsberg just in case Ned was claimed.

Now the question is do you keep Ned on the taxi squad, or try to pass Forsberg through waivers to put him on the taxi squad, or keep Forsberg on the active roster and send Ned to Chicago?

Reactions: zman77

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I missed that a third goalie is required on the taxi squad if you don't carry 3 goalies on the roster. That explains the pickup of Forsberg just in case Ned was claimed.

Now the question is do you keep Ned on the taxi squad, or try to pass Forsberg through waivers to put him on the taxi squad, or keep Forsberg on the active roster and send Ned to Chicago?

Uh.....none of the above:

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad