Pre-Game Talk: 2021 Training Camp

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Zykov and Necas didnt stick around long / play much.

True, but those guys were pretty much replaced with Bishop (20 games), Maenalane (34 games), Roy (6 games), Kuokkanen (7 games)...so for a good part of the season, there were 4 rookies in the line-up. Granted, a lot of it was because Rod didn't have a choice (mainly Wallmark) as we didn't have enough good NHLrs to begin with.

Also, the post @NotOpie was responding to didn't say all those guys would be full time NHLrs those years, he said they'd be introduced that year.

Wallmark was a 23 years old but yes a rookie.

That's not really relevant because the NotOpie's comment was in response to this (below) where most of the "rookies" will be 22/23 or older in the timeframe listed:

21-22: Bean (full-time), Geekie (full-time), Cotton, Lorentz
22-23: Keane, Sellgren, Drury, Jarvis
23-24: Bokk, Suzuki, Gunler, Rees
24-25: Puistola, Tieksola, Honka, Ponomaryov

Most of the guys he listed will be 23 or older in the year he projects they are introduced. Here's the ages those guys will be in the season that the poster said they'd be introduced to the NHL in that scenario:

21-22: Bean (23), Geekie (23), Cotton (24), Lorentz(25)
22-23: Keane (23), Sellgren (24), Drury (22), Jarvis (20)
23-24: Bokk(23), Suzuki (22), Gunler(22), Rees(22)
24-25: Puistola (24), Tieksola (23), Honka (24), Ponomaryov(22).

* I used current age on Hockeydb and added 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on when they were projected so I may be off by a 1/2 year or so depending on when the season starts and when their birthday is.

Granted, I agree that this is way overly optimistic, so I don't think all these guys will even make it at all, much less all in a given year. Just that it wasn't a case of a bunch of 18-19 year olds making the team at once.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes Assign Five Players to Taxi Squad

Carolina also assigns 13 players to Chicago (AHL)

RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned forwards Morgan Geekie, Steven Lorentz and Max McCormick, and defensemen Jake Bean and Joakim Ryan to the team's taxi squad.
Additionally, the Hurricanes have assigned forwards Jeremy Bracco, David Cotton, Jason Cotton, Seth Jarvis, Stelio Mattheos, Jamieson Rees, Sheldon Rempal, Drew Shore, Spencer Smallman and Ryan Suzuki, defensemen Joey Keane and Maxime Lajoie, and goaltender Antoine Bibeau to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has assigned forwards Morgan Geekie, Steven Lorentz and Max McCormick, and defensemen Jake Bean and Joakim Ryan to the team's taxi squad.
Additionally, the Hurricanes have assigned forwards Jeremy Bracco, David Cotton, Jason Cotton, Seth Jarvis, Stelio Mattheos, Jamieson Rees, Sheldon Rempal, Drew Shore, Spencer Smallman and Ryan Suzuki, defensemen Joey Keane and Maxime Lajoie, and goaltender Antoine Bibeau to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL).
Unsurprisingly light on prospects is the taxi squad. I'm a little annoyed Geekie didn't get a primary spot. He's a better center than Martinook imo. I'd move Marty to wing and rotate which wing sits. Injuries will no doubt have Geekie in soon though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Unsurprisingly light on prospects is the taxi squad. I'm a little annoyed Geekie didn't get a primary spot. He's a better center than Martinook imo. I'd move Marty to wing and rotate which wing sits. Injuries will no doubt have Geekie in soon though.
Do you think it might be cap management? I agree Geekie would be a better option at c, frankly I’d sit Dzingel.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Geekie might be there on paper only. Since he doesn’t have to clear waivers, he can bounce back and forth to save money. Zinger can’t.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
True, but those guys were pretty much replaced with Bishop (20 games), Maenalane (34 games), Roy (6 games), Kuokkanen (7 games)...so for a good part of the season, there were 4 rookies in the line-up. Granted, a lot of it was because Rod didn't have a choice (mainly Wallmark) as we didn't have enough good NHLrs to begin with.

Also, the post @NotOpie was responding to didn't say all those guys would be full time NHLrs those years, he said they'd be introduced that year.

That's not really relevant because the NotOpie's comment was in response to this (below) where most of the "rookies" will be 22/23 or older in the timeframe listed:

21-22: Bean (full-time), Geekie (full-time), Cotton, Lorentz
22-23: Keane, Sellgren, Drury, Jarvis
23-24: Bokk, Suzuki, Gunler, Rees
24-25: Puistola, Tieksola, Honka, Ponomaryov

Most of the guys he listed will be 23 or older in the year he projects they are introduced. Here's the ages those guys will be in the season that the poster said they'd be introduced to the NHL in that scenario:

21-22: Bean (23), Geekie (23), Cotton (24), Lorentz(25)
22-23: Keane (23), Sellgren (24), Drury (22), Jarvis (20)
23-24: Bokk(23), Suzuki (22), Gunler(22), Rees(22)
24-25: Puistola (24), Tieksola (23), Honka (24), Ponomaryov(22).

* I used current age on Hockeydb and added 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on when they were projected so I may be off by a 1/2 year or so depending on when the season starts and when their birthday is.

Granted, I agree that this is way overly optimistic, so I don't think all these guys will even make it at all, much less all in a given year. Just that it wasn't a case of a bunch of 18-19 year olds making the team at once.

You did see that I said in my original post that this was an absolute best-case scenario, right? Personally, I predicted that a huge chunk of them became trade bait for win-now pieces before they reach the seasons that I listed! Most of these guys, IMO, will start their NHL careers in the rebuilding team du jour, if at all.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You did see that I said in my original post that this was an absolute best-case scenario, right? Personally, I predicted that a huge chunk of them became trade bait for win-now pieces before they reach the seasons that I listed! Most of these guys, IMO, will start their NHL careers in the rebuilding team du jour, if at all.
So let me get this straight. I stick up for you in 2 posts about these prospects and you focus on the 1 line out of multiple paragraphs where I say that it’s overly optimistic?

Um OK. Carry on.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
So let me get this straight. I stick up for you in 2 posts about these prospects and you focus on the 1 line out of multiple paragraphs where I say that it’s overly optimistic?

Um OK. Carry on.

It's a natural, reflexive, and defensive reaction. In the life of TRPF, it's called a normal day. Yes, you're right about everything else hahaha

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

2 things surprise me: 1) Geekie didn't make the team to start the year? granted he didn't show much in the playoffs...nor did over half the team. 2) Bean would rather play in the AHL than ride the taxi squad, so he's on the taxi squad? Unless he's going to be rotated in and out a fair bit? Maybe as @Boom Boom Apathy said, just bouncing them for cap savings.?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Funnily enough, Rod Brind'Amour's 1st season he had 5 rookies in the opening night line-up. Svechnikov, Wallmark, Necas, Foegele, and Zykov

Please, do not let facts get in the way of a good narrative. :sarcasm:

And I agree with your contention that it was mostly out of necessity that Roddy iced the youngsters (except Wallmark, who deserved/earned his spot with his work/performance w/Charlotte). It has become clear to me that you have to earn your ice time w/Roddy (appropriately so, I might add), yet it feels as if he does lean toward the safety of veterans.

Do you think it might be cap management? I agree Geekie would be a better option at c, frankly I’d sit Dzingel.

I wonder if Dzingel is being show-cased for a mid-season trade. Or course he'll have every opportunity to do so on that high scoring 4th line of ours. :naughty:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And I agree with your contention that it was mostly out of necessity that Roddy iced the youngsters (except Wallmark, who deserved/earned his spot with his work/performance w/Charlotte). It has become clear to me that you have to earn your ice time w/Roddy (appropriately so, I might add), yet it feels as if he does lean toward the safety of veterans.

Wallmark (IMO) was less about "earning it" and more about the Canes not having a choice. The rookies that year:

Svech: #2 OA was always going to be in the line-up and not sent back to Juniors.
Foegele: Earned his spot in training camp. Rod even said he just made it too hard to send him down.
Necas: My "guess" is that they always planned on him getting only a handful of games because they knew he needed more time and wanted to not have him exceed the # games played.
Zykov and Wallmark: Didn't want to lose them via waivers.

Remember, after Derek Ryan followed Bill Peters, and the Canes traded Lindholm and Marcus Kruger, the Canes only had 2 players on the roster with any real NHL experience at Center...Staal and Rask. Aho had very little experience and had to play center whether Rod wanted him to or not. Martinook could play 4th line, or someone like Bishop or Wallmark as well, but when Rask sliced his hand, the Canes really had no choice but to keep both Necas (temporarily) and Wallmark on the roster.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
granted he didn't show much in the playoffs...nor did over half the team.
Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes persistent misinformation. Geekie, in fact, showed a helluva a lot during the playoffs. In particular, his line dominated the NYR's 4th line, and on one even-strength shift during Game 3, he was instrumental in an extended duration of possession that eventually led to TT's goal that tied the game.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
How had Troch looked in camp? Has he regained his foot speed yet?

For Florida, it looks like Eetu will be out 3C and Priskie will be in the minors but I think there is a good chance that Priskie makes his way up once Yandle is jettisoned! Pretty happy with Luo’s development this season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How had Troch looked in camp? Has he regained his foot speed yet?

For Florida, it looks like Eetu will be out 3C and Priskie will be in the minors but I think there is a good chance that Priskie makes his way up once Yandle is jettisoned! Pretty happy with Luo’s development this season.
we've only heard good things, not that I would expect a lot of negative things being said. Eetu is a good 4C but, i think his skating probably makes him a stretch at 3C.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
we've only heard good things, not that I would expect a lot of negative things being said. Eetu is a good 4C but, i think his skating probably makes him a stretch at 3C.
Hope he rebounds for you guys! Trocheck with speed is a dynamic player that can really impact the games; he never rebounded from the injury with Florida.

What you described with Luo is what I thought but he’s come in hot from Finland and looked strong alongside Vatrano and Tippett: let’s see!

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Interesting that Suzuki, Rees, & Jarvis were all sent to the AHL...I thought they had to be 20 or have completed like 4+ CHL seasons to do that? Have they made an exception this year because the OHL/WHL aren't playing?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->