Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Trying not to get too excited about this Bjork talk...seems like in pre-season he's always on 'fire'
In warmups too - remember thinking he was a man on a mission before a game, then was meh ok once the puck dropped and everyone was at full speed.

Would LOVE to see him take that next step

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Gryz looked like true top pair against Carolina and was not good against Tampa.
And this is my issue with Gryz. Carolina doesn't have as determined a forecheck or the size and grit Tampa does. He struggles against bigger, more aggressive forechecking teams. Against a more passive forecheck he can use his speed to get pucks up and out of the zone and looks like a legit top 4 D.

You can't have a top pair D who will struggle against half the teams in his division.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kalus

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I hope Bjork is only there because Marchand is not. It appears defensive pairings and lines 2-4 are set. We are almost there...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fully agree. I proposed such a 4 lines balanced attack two days ago in this thread and it was not very well received :laugh: I think the coaching staff (and some here too) are not open to the idea based on the success the merlot line had 7 to 9 years ago. I think it would be time to explore something different in terms of lines configuration if we expect different results (i.e., perfection line centric attack with limited offensive support from the other lines).

As you said, the Bruins seem to have the personnel this year to do some more balancing, especially if Studnicka and Bjork can be just decent nhl offensive players.

I'll use Ritchie as an example. Because of the way the 4th line is used to match-up against other teams best lines, and how Ritchie hasn't gained the coaching staffs trust defensively, they are reluctant to use him with say Kuraly and Wagner. Meanwhile he looks more like a traditional 4th line player thus far in Boston than he does belonging on a scoring line. But because of the defensive responsibilities of the 4th line, they can't/won't use him there. So instead he gets plugged higher up in the line-up.

David Backes was the same issue. Butch was willing to use him on the Krejci line but never on the 4th line. Its kind of absurd really.

Reactions: Number6

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Trying not to get too excited about this Bjork talk...seems like in pre-season he's always on 'fire'
This is the same for me as well. I'm a bit hard on the guy at times, but I really hope he can find some consistency. I'd like to see him be a consistent 40 point guy.

If he has another sub par year offensively it might be time to look at other options.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'll use Ritchie as an example. Because of the way the 4th line is used to match-up against other teams best lines, and how Ritchie hasn't gained the coaching staffs trust defensively, they are reluctant to use him with say Kuraly and Wagner. Meanwhile he looks more like a traditional 4th line player thus far in Boston than he does belonging on a scoring line. But because of the defensive responsibilities of the 4th line, they can't/won't use him there. So instead he gets plugged higher up in the line-up.

David Backes was the same issue. Butch was willing to use him on the Krejci line but never on the 4th line. Its kind of absurd really.

Backes was very defensively responsible! I think his issue was the Bruins never having a RWer for Krejci.

Ritchie can be a middle six winger if he is engaged. He is quite talented for a power forward - has good hands somewhat like Lucic did.

Reactions: BruinDust

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
And this is my issue with Gryz. Carolina doesn't have as determined a forecheck or the size and grit Tampa does. He struggles against bigger, more aggressive forechecking teams. Against a more passive forecheck he can use his speed to get pucks up and out of the zone and looks like a legit top 4 D.

You can't have a top pair D who will struggle against half the teams in his division.

Carolina had a VERY aggressive and speedy forecheck. You couldn’t be more wrong there. It’s like there thing.

But it’s not a physically imposing forecheck at all as you say.

Reactions: lxndr

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Horton was not too shabby as Krejci’s RW. But I get your point.

Since Horton, I meant.

I was never impressed with Iginla either at that stage of his career. It has been a while... perhaps Kase is the one we've been searching for.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
NJ and Boston were the 2 teams rumored to be in on Hutton.

NJ signs Vatanen.

Tik toc
tenor.gif

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated: