Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm not surprised one Bit.
His skating/gap control are elite IMO.

Vaakanainen is interesting because he is our highest upside young D for sure. He is the best skater and has the best hockey sense. Likely the best skill level too. If one of our young guys is truly going to grow into a top 4 role and be a game changer rather than a complementary player, it is probably him. That said, he is also the only young guy who doesn't need to clear waivers. Starting him would mean we have to place one of Zboril, Moore or Clifton on waivers. The only obvious choice here is Moore, but I really think the club is looking to him with the loss of 2 veteran defensemen, and that they'd like him to get off to a good start.

In short, I don't think Vaak is going to get a starting job out of the gate. As Cassidy said, evaluation will have to occur in the regular season. However, don't be surprised to see him moved in there fairly early if there are issues on D.

Reactions: Blowfish and kjpm

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Perhaps. But Miller has had a separated shoulder, as well as the knee issues.

No one is afraid of Mr. MIller.

Not yet, anyway.

While rehabbing his knee his shoulder has had plenty of time to heal completely, along with the rest of his body. From what I've seen/read Killer is in the best shape of his career.

Let's see what he can do before writing him off.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What I saw of Vaakananien last year in Providence was a player with zero consistency. He has plus skills and skating, little physical game and makes a LOT of mistakes. Maybe part of that was recovering from the concussion and he may have worked on his game this off-season but he needs to be much more consistent in his reads, his passes out of the zone and physical play. I do not expect him to run guys but at least get in the way.

If he has found some consistency and his mistakes last year were from being gun shy after the concussion he could easily pair with Carlo on the second pair. John Moore should not be a consideration in whether or not Vaakananien makes the team unless he outplays him. No one is taking Moore with that ridiculous contract

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
From Ty...I think he has the anticipated line up correct (very close).

Bruins notebook: Bruce Cassidy's team ramps up pace in scrimmage

First crack at figuring out Boston's Game 1 lineup
This is all speculative at this point in time, but based on usage and pairing-line combos through the first four (invaluable) days of camp, I think we're getting a good look at what the B's will roll out next week. And if I were a betting man, this is who I think will make up the B's Opening Night 18 on forward and defense.

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Jack Studnicka
Jake DeBrusk - David Krejci - Ondrej Kase
Nick Ritchie - Charlie Coyle - Craig Smith
Anders Bjork - Sean Kuraly - Chris Wagner

Jeremy Lauzon - Charlie McAvoy
Matt Grzelcyk - Brandon Carlo
Jakub Zboril - Kevan Miller

Extras: Par Lindholm, Connor Clifton, and John Moore.
******* terrible. Par Lindholm instead of Frederic. Wonder what Lindholm is using to blackmail Cassidy or if Brucey is just this stupid. Moore should be put in Providence/Taxi squaded just to save cap space. First three lines are fine until Pastrnak comes back. Still hate Grzelcyk in the top 4.

This isn't a critique of Anderson, I fear he is right. This is on the two headed monster Sweeney/Cassidy.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What I saw of Vaakananien last year in Providence was a player with zero consistency. He has plus skills and skating, little physical game and makes a LOT of mistakes. Maybe part of that was recovering from the concussion and he may have worked on his game this off-season but he needs to be much more consistent in his reads, his passes out of the zone and physical play. I do not expect him to run guys but at least get in the way.
If he has found some consistency and his mistakes last year were from being gun shy after the concussion he could easily pair with Carlo on the second pair. John Moore should not be a consideration in whether or not Vaakananien makes the team unless he outplays him. No one is taking Moore with that ridiculous contract

You consider $2.75 mil a ridiculous contract?

Reactions: Blowfish

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
******* terrible. Par Lindholm instead of Frederic. Wonder what Lindholm is using to blackmail Cassidy or if Brucey is just this stupid. Moore should be put in Providence/Taxi squaded just to save cap space. First three lines are fine until Pastrnak comes back. Still hate Grzelcyk in the top 4.

This isn't a critique of Anderson, I fear he is right. This is on the two headed monster Sweeney/Cassidy.

It doesn't matter. Frederic can be on the taxi squad without waiverrs - same thing as him being on the bench. Weird hill to die on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad