Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I imagine that if a team claims a player on waivers that player would have to go directly on the roster or can he go on the taxi squad this year?

Does anyone know?

I'm asking because I don't see Seny making the roster so he will likely have to go on waivers, not really worried about any team grabbing him unless they can put him on the taxi squad.

Reactions: Gordoff

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I imagine that if a team claims a player on waivers that player would have to go directly on the roster or can he go on the taxi squad this year?

Does anyone know?

I'm asking because I don't see Seny making the roster so he will likely have to go on waivers, not really worried about any team grabbing him unless they can put him on the taxi squad.
He would have to go on waivers to go on the taxi squad right?

Reactions: JOKER 192

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Does anyone know?

The taxi squad in all aspects is considered being in th AHL

Anyone claimed on waivers has to be on the NHL club

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don’t know which poster(s) drove @BruinsNetwork away from here, but they’re a real asshat for doing so. One of the best here for knowledge. Hope you come back Anthony sometime. You are missed by the majority.

That's really unfortunate. He was always a good source of information and gave insightful stuff none of us would ever be privy too.

And we're stuck with the asshat. Real cool.

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Im fine with balancing three lines more. But four is pushing it. Marchand and Pastrnak are two of the premiere offense talents in the league and need their ice time.

All I know is that line was horrible in the role last year. Horrible.

So, balancing the 4 lines is not a good option and last year 4th line were horrible in their main role. Therefore, what is the solution for that 4th line? Keep the same players there and complain at the end of the season that they were bad again? Or expecting that Frederic replacing Nordstrom will change everything?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Because he's terrible, that's why.

His older brother, brought in to provide toughness, descended to PO.

The younger Ritchie, 24, and a former top 10 draft selection by Anaheim, was acquried by the Bruins for the same purpose.

As Scouting Post's Kirk Luedeke had noted repeatedly, do you think the Ducks would deal someone with that pedigree if they thought he was worth keeping?

The guy is a dud, and a bonehead. Get rid of him.

And, PS, THE BRUINS NEED TEAM WIDE TOUGHNESS, ONE FOR ALL, ALL FOR ONE PHYSICALITY, AND YES, MEAN & INTIMIDATING.

THEY AREN'T GOING TO GET THAT FROM *ONE GUY,* HOWEVER CAPABLE.

Please.

The bruins have always been known to be difficult to play against...why? You nailed it Gordon.

And, PS, THE BRUINS NEED TEAM WIDE TOUGHNESS, ONE FOR ALL, ALL FOR ONE PHYSICALITY, AND YES, MEAN & INTIMIDATING.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So, balancing the 4 lines is not a good option and last year 4th line were horrible in their main role. Therefore, what is the solution for that 4th line? Keep the same players there and complain at the end of the season that they were bad again? Or expecting that Frederic replacing Nordstrom will change everything?

There are three levers you can pull when putting together lines.

1. Personnel
This is the obvious one. Nordstrom, Kuraly and Wagner were not good last year. Even the Nordstrom we saw in the playoffs that was high effort and making hits and blocking shots was a black hole. Wagner had his goal total cut in half back to normal career levels. Kuraly is the key to that line and we know he can be good, but he didn’t really get his “on” switch fully in position last year. The line didn’t score. It needs some more personnel that can provide some offense. I know I am not saying anything controversial so far.

2. Role
Bruins used their 4th line like a classic old school 3rd line; defensive against good competition. I don’t see that role changing. It hypothetically could, but then you are taking away offensive opportunities from Pasta or Marchand or Krejci and that seems like you are fighting against yourselves. You suppose they do it because they didn’t have enough talent to role 4 lines, I say they view it as a feature. Give your best offensive players better chances. Optimize the 4th line around guys that neuter the other teams top six. So, you want guys you can trust defensively here. Some truculence to wear down the other team is good, especially come the playoffs, but most importantly you want guys that you can trust defensively with some offensive pop...but not so much offensive pop that you are shooting yourself in the foot by not giving them an offensive role. I hope the history of Marchand and Bergeron and their offensive explosion since Julien left teaches us something about how role matters.

3. Time on ice
The 4th line guys played around 10 minutes at evens a game last year. Someone like Pasta played 15. I know you think that bringing those numbers closer together is a feature of spreading out the talent over four lines. I think they already do a good job of not taxing the older centers. Bergeron only plays 13 minutes at even strength. That’s fewer than Coyle. He has the tough PK minutes and then some easy PP minutes on top of that. Marchand and Pasta are given the freedom to take longer shifts so they can team their TOI higher at evens. All the top 9 guys play 13-15 minutes a night at evens. And the 4th line plays less but harder more defensive minutes to make everyone else’s minutes easier. This is a good setup! The problem is the personnel.

So you ask if Frederic is enough. Not unless we see “good Kuraly” all the time, which we have enough history to show that he can’t keep up the intensity all year long (and he just didn’t flip the switch in RTP this year). Wagner is what he is. Likes to hit, loves in the room. Lunch pail guy that really isn’t very good. If it was me, his job would be much much much less secure.

Assume your top 8 is Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, DeBrusk, Krejci, Kase, Coyle and Smith and assume that Kuraly has a secure spot on the 4th line.

That means you have Bjork, Frederic, Studnicka, Ritchie, Wagner as favorites to fight for the last three spots. Can you make up a 4th that can still be limited in TOI but can provide good D and a little offensive pop from that list? I think so.

I would love to see Frederic/Kuraly/Bjork get a shot. Truculent, responsible, and enough speed and skill to be a threat to counter attack.

I don’t think, at the core, we disagree too much really. Im just less willing to rob peter to pay paul to make the 4th line better and see the fourth lines limited TOI shutdown role as a feature and not a bug.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Canes said no if that's true ? Boy that's dumb.
Canes have a solid group. Necas is a star and Pesce is solid. Core guys. You don’t trade them for a one way forward that’s a locker room cancer looking for a long term contract not willing to put an effort in unless he’s on the top line. Canes have no trouble scoring and they are only getting better

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
There are three levers you can pull when putting together lines.

1. Personnel
This is the obvious one. Nordstrom, Kuraly and Wagner were not good last year. Even the Nordstrom we saw in the playoffs that was high effort and making hits and blocking shots was a black hole. Wagner had his goal total cut in half back to normal career levels. Kuraly is the key to that line and we know he can be good, but he didn’t really get his “on” switch fully in position last year. The line didn’t score. It needs some more personnel that can provide some offense. I know I am not saying anything controversial so far.

2. Role
Bruins used their 4th line like a classic old school 3rd line; defensive against good competition. I don’t see that role changing. It hypothetically could, but then you are taking away offensive opportunities from Pasta or Marchand or Krejci and that seems like you are fighting against yourselves. You suppose they do it because they didn’t have enough talent to role 4 lines, I say they view it as a feature. Give your best offensive players better chances. Optimize the 4th line around guys that neuter the other teams top six. So, you want guys you can trust defensively here. Some truculence to wear down the other team is good, especially come the playoffs, but most importantly you want guys that you can trust defensively with some offensive pop...but not so much offensive pop that you are shooting yourself in the foot by not giving them an offensive role. I hope the history of Marchand and Bergeron and their offensive explosion since Julien left teaches us something about how role matters.

3. Time on ice
The 4th line guys played around 10 minutes at evens a game last year. Someone like Pasta played 15. I know you think that bringing those numbers closer together is a feature of spreading out the talent over four lines. I think they already do a good job of not taxing the older centers. Bergeron only plays 13 minutes at even strength. That’s fewer than Coyle. He has the tough PK minutes and then some easy PP minutes on top of that. Marchand and Pasta are given the freedom to take longer shifts so they can team their TOI higher at evens. All the top 9 guys play 13-15 minutes a night at evens. And the 4th line plays less but harder more defensive minutes to make everyone else’s minutes easier. This is a good setup! The problem is the personnel.

So you ask if Frederic is enough. Not unless we see “good Kuraly” all the time, which we have enough history to show that he can’t keep up the intensity all year long (and he just didn’t flip the switch in RTP this year). Wagner is what he is. Likes to hit, loves in the room. Lunch pail guy that really isn’t very good. If it was me, his job would be much much much less secure.

Assume your top 8 is Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, DeBrusk, Krejci, Kase, Coyle and Smith and assume that Kuraly has a secure spot on the 4th line.

That means you have Bjork, Frederic, Studnicka, Ritchie, Wagner as favorites to fight for the last three spots. Can you make up a 4th that can still be limited in TOI but can provide good D and a little offensive pop from that list? I think so.

I would love to see Frederic/Kuraly/Bjork get a shot. Truculent, responsible, and enough speed and skill to be a threat to counter attack.

I don’t think, at the core, we disagree too much really. Im just less willing to rob peter to pay paul to make the 4th line better and see the fourth lines limited TOI shutdown role as a feature and not a bug.

"Truculence"? Is this Brian Burke?

Reactions: Blowfish

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
After reading Dom's lineup projection with KM anchoring the 3rd pair it reminded me of something that I think a lot of us overlook/underestimate and that is just how much the players and coaches respect Kevan Miller.

I remember seeing an interview a few years ago with one of the younger players at the time (no idea who it was but I'm sure someone here does).

The player said something like --- you think you work hard and are in good shape and then you see Kevan Miller and realize you're not even close. (paraphrasing).

I agree with Dom and think he's a lock to start the season on the 3rd pair and kill penalties if he's healthy.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
After reading Dom's lineup projection with KM anchoring the 3rd pair it reminded me of something that I think a lot of us overlook/underestimate and that is just how much the players and coaches respect Kevan Miller.

I remember seeing an interview a few years ago with one of the younger players at the time (no idea who it was but I'm sure someone here does).

The player said something like --- you think you work hard and are in good shape and then you see Kevan Miller and realize you're not even close. (paraphrasing).

I agree with Dom and think he's a lock to start the season on the 3rd pair and kill penalties if he's healthy.

He's really a good player. They beat the Blues with him healthy IMO. Perfect 3RHD and 1st unit PK. Great teammate.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Obviously they could use a good year out of him , He is a fine player when used correctly. I just don’t think he is suited for a top 4 role . He isn’t good enough with the puck on his stick and I don’t think his maneuverability on skates is that great either . If it sounds like I’m down on him , I’m not . Just don’t think he is the answer for a top 4 role .

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Obviously they could use a good year out of him , He is a fine player when used correctly. I just don’t think he is suited for a top 4 role . He isn’t good enough with the puck on his stick and I don’t think his maneuverability on skates is that great either . If it sounds like I’m down on him , I’m not . Just don’t think he is the answer for a top 4 role .

I agree.

He's a decent 5 and a very solid 6 who can kill penalties and provide toughness and leadership.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Agreed.

I think, barring any trade/signing it will be as Dom suggested.

Lauzon - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril - Miller

(Clifton, Moore)

As good an option as we have - this would be ideal.

I do forget Miller is the one who can nearly keep up with Chara in the fitness workouts, yes?

We really need McAvoy/Grzelcyk/Carlo/Miller stay healthy otherwise there will be issues.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Maybe it's time for the coaching staff to drop this template of these set-in-stone 1st and 4th lines used as shutdown lines/match-up lines and run a more balanced attack. Make the opponent decide who to focus on and just roll your lines and keep the tempo high. Seriously if they can't find a balanced approach with these 13 guys (14 when healthy) at their disposal I don't get it.

Pastrnak (IR)
Marchand
Bergeron
Coyle
Krejci
Debrusk
Smith
Kase
Bjork
Ritchie
Kuraly
Frederic
Studnicka
Wagner

That's a pretty balanced group. You have a variety of players, player types, vets and young players, left and right shots, guys who can play multiple positions, take face-offs, etc. It's up to the coaching staff as how to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but the pieces are there. There is no lack of talent or skill-sets. But it may mean taking a different approach than we've seen here for many years now, even dating back before Cassidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad