Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Vancouver Ben Hutton fits best in the AHL.

LA Ben Hutton is super intriguing to me.

I wouldn't be enitrely opposed to signing him for a one year, or even a two year deal at around 1 million for exansion draft purposes. I don't love the fact that he'd take a spot from a young defenceman, but if he really is the player that he was in LA (and not in Vancouver) he could be a real hidden gem. If there was a choice between Moore and Hutton I'd rather see them roll the die with Hutton.

Reactions: Gator Mike

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I wouldn't be enitrely opposed to signing him for a one year, or even a two year deal at around 1 million for exansion draft purposes. I don't love the fact that he'd take a spot from a young defenceman, but if he really is the player that he was in LA (and not in Vancouver) he could be a real hidden gem. If there was a choice between Moore and Hutton I'd rather see them roll the die with Hutton.

For me its if you let Chara go with the reasoning to go with the kids to give them playing time, then you HAVE to go with kids. The only justified reason to turn around and sign a free agent, is if the kids struggle. Until now I didnt hear that this is the case.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Conor Ryan has been providing excellent reporting. Impressive.

For as much as Vaakanainen had previously drawn the ire of Cassidy for his lax practice habits, such wasn't the case on Thursday. It remains to be seen if the Finnish blueliner can beat out a guy like Zboril and earn a starting gig out of camp, but Vaakanainen clearly made a great impression with his play in this scrimmage. We'll see if he can build on that during Friday's scheduled scrimmage.
"I thought Vaakanainen was excellent," Cassidy said. "Probably the better of the younger defensemen today in this particular game."

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Thoughts & Observations From Boston Bruins Camp Scrimmage

Good to hear some Ritchie positives ... still not one word from inside reports on Z Synyshyn - this can't be good. Filipe has been receiving some praise as well. Don't know much about him. Was signed in the offseason.

The Black Team ended up taking home bragging rights with a 3-1 win highlighted by a Matt Filipe breakaway goal, and a backhanded top shelf finish from Nick Ritchie while all alone in the middle of the slot. The hulking Ritchie actually looked pretty good skating with Charlie Coyle and Craig Smith during the scrimmage and could be the trio we see start the season on the third line. Steve Kampfer had a goal for Team White finishing off a scrum around the front of the net, but they fell short in the scrimmage despite boasting newly minted captain Patrice Bergeron, Charlie McAvoy and Tuukka Rask within their group.

*Anders Bjork has made it something of a habit of performing well in these training camp scenarios, and the speedy winger was once again noticeable in Thursday’s scrimmage. Bjork had several scoring chances and was regularly buzzing around the net and getting into the danger areas that sometimes elude him during the regular season.

*Tons of chances for Ondrej Kase, who had a stuff attempt at the post at one point and had a couple of good looks from the slot area during the second half of the scrimmage. In general, both Kase and Jake DeBrusk enjoyed an abundance of scoring chances in the scrimmage while skating on either side of David Krejci. That’s absolutely a good thing, but we also saw both Kase and DeBrusk get chances with Krejci last summer without many plays where they finished things off with a goal.

Vaakanainen moved the puck quickly and managed to dance around pressure with his skating ability. The former first round pick didn’t factor significantly into the offense, but he was also skating with a rookie defenseman in Nick Wolff. Jakub Zboril was just okay during the scrimmage and had some issues moving the puck efficiently at times, and Jeremy Lauzon wasn’t really noticeable at all. Although, I suppose going under the radar as a young defensemen with a quiet performance isn’t exactly the worst thing in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
No ones fear is eased by Miller’s shoulder and knee. Wilson tried that in the preseason a few years back and got clowned when Miller had enough.

Guys like Wilson are absolutely going to test Miller out. A player with his injury record and past reputation for toughness is going to have guys having a crack at him and seeing how much push back he's still willing to give. He'll know it's coming, and while I'm sure he won't take a backward step we're just going to have to wait and see exactly how he responds.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Guys like Wilson are absolutely going to test Miller out. A player with his injury record and past reputation for toughness is going to have guys having a crack at him and seeing how much push back he's still willing to give. He'll know it's coming, and while I'm sure he won't take a backward step we're just going to have to wait and see exactly how he responds.

Imagine they get into a scrum and Chara instincts kick in from all those years in Boston and Chara goes after Wilson lol

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

For as much as Vaakanainen had previously drawn the ire of Cassidy for his lax practice habits, such wasn't the case on Thursday. It remains to be seen if the Finnish blueliner can beat out a guy like Zboril and earn a starting gig out of camp, but Vaakanainen clearly made a great impression with his play in this scrimmage. We'll see if he can build on that during Friday's scheduled scrimmage.
"I thought Vaakanainen was excellent," Cassidy said. "Probably the better of the younger defensemen today in this particular game."

As long as Zboril is decent Vaak will be on the Taxi squad at best. Zboril has to go through waivers and Vaak doesn't. They probably send him to Prov where he will get more games.

Reactions: Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
From Ty...I think he has the anticipated line up correct (very close).

Bruins notebook: Bruce Cassidy's team ramps up pace in scrimmage

First crack at figuring out Boston's Game 1 lineup
This is all speculative at this point in time, but based on usage and pairing-line combos through the first four (invaluable) days of camp, I think we're getting a good look at what the B's will roll out next week. And if I were a betting man, this is who I think will make up the B's Opening Night 18 on forward and defense.

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Jack Studnicka
Jake DeBrusk - David Krejci - Ondrej Kase
Nick Ritchie - Charlie Coyle - Craig Smith
Anders Bjork - Sean Kuraly - Chris Wagner

Jeremy Lauzon - Charlie McAvoy
Matt Grzelcyk - Brandon Carlo
Jakub Zboril - Kevan Miller

Extras: Par Lindholm, Connor Clifton, and John Moore.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Conor is Quality, I hope he keeps getting bigger chances in the Boston media.

Reactions: Blowfish

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

A wolf sheds his fur not his habits.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

This is all speculative at this point in time, but based on usage and pairing-line combos through the first four (invaluable) days of camp, I think we're getting a good look at what the B's will roll out next week. And if I were a betting man, this is who I think will make up the B's Opening Night 18 on forward and defense.

Jeremy Lauzon - Charlie McAvoy
Matt Grzelcyk - Brandon Carlo
Jakub Zboril - Kevan Miller

Extras: Par Lindholm, Connor Clifton, and John Moore.

I'd love to see Frederic in Bjork's spot, provided he deserves it.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
As long as Zboril is decent Vaak will be on the Taxi squad at best. Zboril has to go through waivers and Vaak doesn't. They probably send him to Prov where he will get more games.
I am big on protecting assets but they need to go with their six best D regardless of waivers. If Zboril isn't good enough to make the team and you don't think Vaakanien's development will be hurt you take your chances sending Zboril down.

Same thing at forward, the invisible Senyshyn better not make this team if he is being outplayed because they think they will lose him. I am pretty confident that no other team would put a claim in on a 14 goal AHL "scorer"

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Well those who wanted a heavier, big body presence should be happy with over 650lbs on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Gordoff

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
For me its if you let Chara go with the reasoning to go with the kids to give them playing time, then you HAVE to go with kids. The only justified reason to turn around and sign a free agent, is if the kids struggle. Until now I didnt hear that this is the case.
I’m not so sure about that reasoning. Everyone keeps saying Don let Chara walk because he wants to “play the kids”, and I think there is an element of that in play, but what I really think he wants is to ice a fast, mobile, puck moving D. Exactly what Chara struggled with all last year, not just in the RTP.
I bring this up because if Hutton fits that mold (full disclosure I don’t know his game well enough to say if he does or doesn’t), and he has NHL experience, wouldn’t he be a better fit for this D than Zboril or Urho? Experienced, mobile and fast?

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
if studnicka looks good he centers the 4th line when pasta gets back and kuraly moves to the wing

If Studnicka shows any promise I think it's better he stays. Pasta can join Krejci and Kase to Czech it out. DeBrusk moves on Coyle's line and Ritchie/Frederic can battle out the 4th line duty.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Going to be a battle between Frederick, Ritchie, and Bjork...

Not sure what will happen when Pasta returns.
How about

XXX Coyle Smith
XXX Kuraly Studnicka

Where Ritchie, Frederic and Bjork compete for reps at 3rd and 4th LW. I would use Wagner from time to time based on matchups and Studnicka's play.

Reactions: Blowfish

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
if studnicka looks good he centers the 4th line when pasta gets back and kuraly moves to the wing
I think a lot will depend on how Studnicka, Kase, Ritchie, and Bjork do. If the first line looks good with Studnicka and say the 2nd line can't get going, maybe Pastrnak lines up next to DeBrusk and Krejci. Even though the lines look set already, in my opinion, there's still a chance for a lot of movement and competition for roster spots.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Well those who wanted a heavier, big body presence should be happy with over 650lbs on the 3rd line.

I was actually thinking that line has some parallels with the 700 lb line back in the day. You've got a big body net front guy with some skill on the left, a big, dominant puck possession center and a skilled shooter on the right. Obviously these guys aren't going to be on the same level of Knuble, Thornton and Murray but it's an interesting combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille