Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp II

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’m happy with this lineup. Younger bigger faster. I hope Ritchie proves me wrong. I read here he thinner. Maybe he was just out of shape (pretty unprofessional)

If he was out of shape no wonder ducks moved him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They reeeallly like grzlyeck. Having McAvoy on unit 2 means he's not likely up for the first 5 on 5 shift coming off the PP.

Which is even more reason to me to use him (McAvoy) on Unit 1. They Bruins had the 2nd best PP last year at 25%. Middle of the pack was around 20%. So best case, 3 out of 4 PPs will be unsuccessful, average 4 out of 5. I'd hedge my bet that the PP will be unsuccessful, and that way you can roll out McAvoy as soon as possible 5 on 5 following an unsuccessful PP as Unit 2 will finish up the PP.

I'd even take it step further and do what they did last year with two D-men on PP 2 so that when the play resumes 5 on 5, you have 2 D on the ice. Whether it was McAvoy or Gryz on unit 2, Have Zboril or Lauzon on PP unit 2, ideally Zboril as then you can roll out McAvoy-Lauzon first chance 5 on 5 where you will likely be getting the Penalty Killing teams better scoring players right after a PK, similar to how Boston would always roll out the Krejci line following a PK. I could be wrong but doesn't Zboril have a bomb for a shot? Why not utilize it on the PP?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I’m happy with this lineup. Younger bigger faster. I hope Ritchie proves me wrong. I read here he thinner. Maybe he was just out of shape (pretty unprofessional)

If he was out of shape no wonder ducks moved him.

I haven't heard any coaches or media people say he's thinner, just fans saying his face seems slimmer (which I'm not really seeing). We'll find out tomorrow night if he's any quicker or playing with any more energy.

Reactions: Kegs and BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
They reeeallly like grzlyeck. Having McAvoy on unit 2 means he's not likely up for the first 5 on 5 shift coming off the PP.

I don't know about that. Last year Gryz and Mac would both be out for PP2 and when the PP would expire they would just stay on the ice 5on5.

This 2nd setup is really risky in terms of having no center and only one defenseman, so when the PP expires, who is going to defend? Who is going be the center defensively? Yet another thing to watch tomorrow night.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know about that. Last year Gryz and Mac would both be out for PP2 and when the PP would expire they would just stay on the ice 5on5.

This 2nd setup is really risky in terms of having no center and only one defenseman, so when the PP expires, who is going to defend? Who is going be the center defensively? Yet another thing to watch tomorrow night.

Another drawback of that unit as it is current comprised. Good opportunity for opposing teams to take advantage of a failed Bruin PP and continue momentum.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Columbus going be dealing Dubois from a position of weakness thanks to Torts

Dubois wants to leave Blue Jackets, Tortorella says

I hate Tortorella. Every 3 years people seem to alternate between loving and him and hating him, but I double down on the hate. Pompous, disrespectful to his players and the media, acts like he's Bob Probert tough but looks like he'd shit his pants if anyone ever called him out for his act. Worst of all his act wears thin, either he loses the team or he loses the star players.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I actually like PP2. I'm glad they've FINALLY taken DeBrusk out of the net front spot on PP1 and are trying him out as a shooter on the elbow. I'm also really happy they're FINALLY using Coyle as the net front guy on PP1.

Maybe in the elbow spot Debrusk will start one-timing pucks a bit more. He can one-time from the off-wing, but rarely uses it. Granted it's not a OV-type bomb, but just getting good wood on it getting it on net when he doesn't beat the goalie clean.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Grzelcyk is on the first unit because he is a left shot. Otherwise, we have four right shots, which does not work well with the typical formation.

The key replacement for Krug is not Grzelcyk, it is Krejci. Krejci was a dominant force on the pp during the bubble, and proved again just how skilled he is. Krejci is the one who can handle the puck and distribute in place of Krug, and he also has a bomb of a shot when he uses it.

Reactions: wintersej and PB37

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I hate Tortorella. Every 3 years people seem to alternate between loving and him and hating him, but I double down on the hate. Pompous, disrespectful to his players and the media, acts like he's Bob Probert tough but looks like he'd shit his pants if anyone ever called him out for his act. Worst of all his act wears thin, either he loses the team or he loses the star players.
Torts backs down from no one. If he looks to you that he would **** his pants, you don’t know him. I know his college roommate at UMaine very well and he says Torts is the toughest SOB you’ll ever find in a hockey sweater. He’s tried to reach out to PLD but so far without success. A change of scenery would help.

I’ve never been to Columbus, just passed through. But apparently Kekkelainen has trouble keeping his star athletes on campus.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Studnicka :D

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Torts backs down from no one. If he looks to you that he would **** his pants, you don’t know him. I know his college roommate at UMaine very well and he says Torts is the toughest SOB you’ll ever find in a hockey sweater. He’s tried to reach out to PLD but so far without success. A change of scenery would help.

I’ve never been to Columbus, just passed through. But apparently Kekkelainen has trouble keeping his star athletes on campus.

True, I don't know him. Still, can't stand him, and am glad he doesn't coach here.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Torts is a tough but fair coach. It’s too bad it’s come to this but apparently Pierre Luc won’t be forthcoming about his grievances.

It’s now on Sweeney to exploit the situation.

Rumors are starting to leak about Dubois

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Grzelcyk is on the first unit because he is a left shot. Otherwise, we have four right shots, which does not work well with the typical formation.

The key replacement for Krug is not Grzelcyk, it is Krejci. Krejci was a dominant force on the pp during the bubble, and proved again just how skilled he is. Krejci is the one who can handle the puck and distribute in place of Krug, and he also has a bomb of a shot when he uses it.

Good post but i disagree a little bit on Krejcj. He has a beautiful one timer and there's been a few times over the past couple of seasons when Pasta has been out where they used Krejci as the one time option in the high slot, which is normally Pasta's House on the PP. I bet he'll be there again.

PP1 relies on quick passes and opening lanes for the two main triggers - the Glen Murray Bumper where Bergeron has perfected the past 2 or 3 seasons and Pasta's one timer on the other side of the ice. All other options usually happen organically based on the flow of play.

Grz can help open the lanes like Krug with his skating but he can't dish like him, so it will be interesting to see if they've added some new wrinkles to cover the loss of a high end puck distributor or they're confident Grz can be a good enough facsimile for Krug and Krejci for Pasta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad