WJC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This post make no sense at all.
Sweden as a country don't seem to be dealing very well with COVID. The Junior Team however, has depth to handle a few players not playing.

I am saying Sweden need to do better...be better.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Sweden as a country don't seem to be dealing very well with COVID. The Junior Team however, has depth to handle a few players not playing.

I am saying Sweden need to do better...be better.

I think Sweden is doing fairly ok. We've got a separate thread for Sweden in the Covid section of the forum.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I think Sweden is doing fairly ok. We've got a separate thread for Sweden in the Covid section of the forum.
fair enough... i feel the Swedes are deep enough to not miss a beat. Solid on the back end and in goal. Some will probably be worried about their round robin record. ..

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
fair enough... i feel the Swedes are deep enough to not miss a beat. Solid on the back end and in goal. Some will probably be worried about their round robin record. ..
To me it is a silly record - I would feel the same even if it belonged to Canada.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to the article Sweden are not allowed to call in a replacement player for William Wallinder, anyone know if this is true?
May have something to do with this tweet "All teams, starting today, are now in a seven-day closed preparation window. Only players currently in team camps today will be WJC eligible."

So, the deadline was Dec 7th? If you are not in camp on that day, you can not play at WJC.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
According to the article Sweden are not allowed to call in a replacement player for William Wallinder, anyone know if this is true?

It's true, anyone not in the bubble know won't be able to go.
It's to ensure no Corona on the plane to Canada.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Tomas Montén is on the other hand a larger loss. Who is going to coach and lead this team now?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
From all the criticism I hear about him in this thread, it seems like the loss of Monten was the best thing that could happen to this team. :laugh:

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
From all the criticism I hear about him in this thread, it seems like the loss of Monten was the best thing that could happen to this team. :laugh:

The only thing that is consistent over time is that Sweden WJC leadership (regardsless of who is the top dog) gets attacked on internet forums about who was selected to the squad and who was not selected. That happens every year, so nothing extraordinary with Monten in that regard.

Hope Monten gets well soon. It is of course a big blow to have him out.

TheGreekShot

Nov 28, 2019
It feels like any of the nations that set their camps up so there wasnt built in time to deal with positive cases set themselves up for this honestly.
Agreed, Canada seems to be the only country taking this as seriously as needed. If the other teams started their camps 4-7 days earlier, we wouldn't be seeing as many issues as we are now.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Agreed, Canada seems to be the only country taking this as seriously as needed. If the other teams started their camps 4-7 days earlier, we wouldn't be seeing as many issues as we are now.

Already difficult for teams to grab players from their pro clubs for 10 or so games as is, not sure the clubs would've let the players leave even earlier, I'm sure there’s been a lot of dealings back and forth. Easier to get guys to an early camp if you're dealing with junior teams, of which the majority haven't even started their season yet.

It is what it is, we knew this year would be a different one. The positive is that they might try Raymond at center, think it could be beneficial for him as a player, and Sweden as a team.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
It feels like any of the nations that set their camps up so there wasnt built in time to deal with positive cases set themselves up for this honestly.

Lets not kid ourselves - the only reason Canada is set up for this is that the junior leagues arent even running so all players were available. Lets also not forget that Canada couldn't even pull off their own camp without having a 14 day quarantine implemented. Now you want to add in players from all over the world during the absolute peak of pandemic? Its pretty dumb timing. Players will test positive now and then you will have players who are negative now traveling in airports and who will certainly test positive when they get to Canada.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Lets not kid ourselves - the only reason Canada is set up for this is that the junior leagues arent even running so all players were available. Lets also not forget that Canada couldn't even pull off their own camp without having a 14 day quarantine implemented. Now you want to add in players from all over the world during the absolute peak of pandemic? Its pretty dumb timing. Players will test positive now and then you will have players who are negative now traveling in airports and who will certainly test positive when they get to Canada.
I mean Canada going into quarantine for 2 weeks kind of proves my point no? Canada had enough time to quarantine and wont miss any players. Now I understand that the other countries couldnt start as early as Canada but they should have started to give the players some leg room on testing positive intially and still being able to travel to Canada.

Reactions: TheGreekShot

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
I mean Canada going into quarantine for 2 weeks kind of proves my point no? Canada had enough time to quarantine and wont miss any players. Now I understand that the other countries couldnt start as early as Canada but they should have started to give the players some leg room on testing positive intially and still being able to travel to Canada.

Ideally I guess you should have teams there for a month or so if they wanted to do it right. Kids arrive and go immediately into bubble and all teams quarantine for 14 days then give them 14 days of practices to get back on the ice. It sucks but the timing right now is AWFUL. Cases are at an all time high everywhere. Right now the only team I think that will have full squad is Canada.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There has to be insufficient testing going on via their leagues and their club teams. How can so many pause from their club team play , and test positive in days prior to leaving? I feel bad for everyone involved. It sucks for the team, fans, players.. Someone screwed up here taking a chance.

Reactions: Statsy

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
There has to be insufficient testing going on via their leagues and their club teams. How can so many pause from their club team play , and test positive in days prior to leaving? I feel bad for everyone involved. It sucks for the team, fans, players.. Someone screwed up here taking a chance.
Grewe said he has tested 10 times "this month", all negative.

Eklund got infected a while back and never joined the camp, Henriksson felt it on saturday and never joined either, Wallinder joined but was in quarantine in his room, and is a part of MODO's outbreak.

No idea about the leadership.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Grewe said he has tested 10 times "this month", all negative.

Eklund got infected a while back and never joined the camp, Henriksson felt it on saturday and never joined either, Wallinder joined but was in quarantine in his room, and is a part of MODO's outbreak.

No idea about the leadership.
Terrible for Grewe then .. wow 10 times

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Grewe said he had tested negative ten times via his team the last month leading up to him testing positive so I think it's just bad luck. Wallinder plays for Modo which had a major breakout this week and so on. The SHL/Allsvenskan teams test frequently.

Edit: Guess I was late to the party.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad