WC: 2021 Slovakia Roster Talk

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
We have had troubles also with Denmark in the past, but on the other hand we can make some upset against Russia or Czechia
We must take it game by game. Starting off with a win vs Belarus would be a big confidence boost. I still remain optimistic that we can make quarter finals. Last year was mental breakdowns that cost us the trip to quarter finals. This year I’m just excited to see young guys (Slafkovsky and Nemec) but also guys like Pospisil and Skalicky to see the progress they have made. Skalicky was great in Finnish playoffs.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
We have had troubles also with Denmark in the past, but on the other hand we can make some upset against Russia or Czechia
True. I completely forgot about Denmark. As far as I know our NT, I am pretty sure we will stumble in one of these games against outsiders. It always happened. That´s why the most important game for us is the one with Swiss. Even though they have players like Meier and Hischier, I don´t see them beating the Czechs. On the other hand, they will most likely gain all the points against the previously mentioned teams (so nine points guaranteed).

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
True. I completely forgot about Denmark. As far as I know our NT, I am pretty sure we will stumble in one of these games against outsiders. It always happened. That´s why the most important game for us is the one with Swiss. Even though they have players like Meier and Hischier, I don´t see them beating the Czechs. On the other hand, they will most likely gain all the points against the previously mentioned teams (so nine points guaranteed).

I wouldn't dare to label teams like Belarus and Denmark outsiders when comparing them to us. We may be a slight favorite in games vs them, but it definitely wouldn't be a big surprise if we lose. Also, Switzerland is clearly better than us. I'm not saying we can't make the quarterfinals, but I wouldn't expect it. After all, it's been 8 big tournaments in a row without quarterfinals for us.

Reactions: stastny12

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I wouldn't dare to label teams like Belarus and Denmark outsiders when comparing them to us. We may be a slight favorite in games vs them, but it definitely wouldn't be a big surprise if we lose. Also, Switzerland is clearly better than us. I'm not saying we can't make the quarterfinals, but I wouldn't expect it. After all, it's been 8 big tournaments in a row without quarterfinals for us.
They may not be the outsider in the purest sense of the word, but imho Slovakia has a qualitative advantage over them, and that´s why I use this term. If we want to make QF, it is simply necessary to beat them.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
This team making the QF would be a huge upset, but that's not the most important thing. Having many young players is an investment to the future. Slaf exposure will definitely help him towards the next season and get closer to the TPS men team. Just like Nemec will improve again. This tournament won't take anything from the youngsters.

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
They may not be the outsider in the purest sense of the word, but imho Slovakia has a qualitative advantage over them, and that´s why I use this term. If we want to make QF, it is simply necessary to beat them.
I’m not sure we have a major qualitative advantage over Belarus and Denmark. Plus anything can happen in 1 game, we should know this best. There are no easy games at the WC, we struggled against Italy a couple years ago. As @kudla said, the most important thing is seeing young guys and also for non-NHL guys to show out and potentially earn contract.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think we can delete Ruzicka from our lineup projections as Calgary will probably want to keep him until the end of their season which is 19.5. They might call him up for some NHL games. If that happens, he would miss most of group stage games due to being allowed to play after I don't know how many days in bubble.

I think I'd take advantage of the situation and try some NHL if I was him. It's better to see the NHL ice before the next season than travel to Latvia for 3 games.
Correct me if Im wrong, not quite sure how the bubble works

That leaves us with something like:

Cehlarik - Hrivik - Lantosi
Pospisil - Kristof - Skalicky
Slaf - Holesinsky - Studenic
Liska - Sukel/Roman - MFR/Kelemen

Basically 2 lines that can score and 2 lines that can surprise

Last edited:

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I checked the comparison with Belarus. I must admit that their roster is better than I thought. The gap between both teams is not wide. Simply put, Slovakia has a clear edge only in the goalie section. Slovak goalies may not be impressive – after all, they are not NHL goaltenders. Nevertheless, the difference between Hudacek and Kolosov is quite significant. Other Belarusian goalies are Shostak and Taylor. They are not better than duo Huska/Konrad, for sure. Mainly, Taylor´s numbers are simply not good. At the same level is defence. Obviously, Bailen is the one who can do damage from the Belarusian side. Although, I do not see him as better defenceman than Gernat. Furthermore, it is pretty tough to measure quality of each defenceman. Lot of them look like shutdown types even though I can´t really tell since I do not regularly watch KHL. But Grman or Janosik used to have similar stats while they were in the league. In the offensive part, I see contrast especially in the depth of the roster. The first two formations could be of similar quality. Third and fourth attacks are the ones where Slovakia should be better and potentially win the game.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I checked the comparison with Belarus. I must admit that their roster is better than I thought. The gap between both teams is not wide. Simply put, Slovakia has a clear edge only in the goalie section. Slovak goalies may not be impressive – after all, they are not NHL goaltenders. Nevertheless, the difference between Hudacek and Kolosov is quite significant. Other Belarusian goalies are Shostak and Taylor. They are not better than duo Huska/Konrad, for sure. Mainly, Taylor´s numbers are simply not good. At the same level is defence. Obviously, Bailen is the one who can do damage from the Belarusian side. Although, I do not see him as better defenceman than Gernat. Furthermore, it is pretty tough to measure quality of each defenceman. Lot of them look like shutdown types even though I can´t really tell since I do not regularly watch KHL. But Grman or Janosik used to have similar stats while they were in the league. In the offensive part, I see contrast especially in the depth of the roster. The first two formations could be of similar quality. Third and fourth attacks are the ones where Slovakia should be better and potentially win the game.

Good news for Slovakia, is that the Kostitsyn's, Platt and Taylor have regressed as age cought up with them. I really hope Slovakia wins that first game. I hate National teams that are runned like club teams, such as Belarus and Kazakhstan, who build their core with imported players instead of fixing their own program.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Good news for Slovakia, is that the Kostitsyn's, Platt and Taylor have regressed as age cought up with them. I really hope Slovakia wins that first game. I hate National teams that are runned like club teams, such as Belarus and Kazakhstan, who build their core with imported players instead of fixing their own program.

I hate it either. What a contradiction when a player born in some country, having 2 citizenships and playing hockey let's say until he turns 11 in his home country can not represent his country because of the stupid IIHF's law mentioned below but a player (mercenary) who has absolutely no roots to some country but only played 2 seasons, gained citizenship can represesent his new home ... that is such nonsense

Bylaw 4 Player Eligibility to Participate in the IIHF Championship Program and Olympic Competitions

4.2.1 A male player who has two legal citizenships or more, or has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered a citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF Championship and/or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for his country of choice the player must:
(a) prove that he has
(i) participated in the competitions within his country of choice on a consistent basis, over at least 16 consecutive months (480 days) and during two hockey seasons after his 10th birthday
(ii) resided in his country of choice during that period and
(iii) neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey for a team registered or located within any other country during that period; and
(b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least 16 months (480 days) prior to his proposed participation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Kolosov is the 3rd goalie on the Belarus roster so he hardly matters. In general, goalies seem pretty even. Taylor has regressed but so has Hudacek, Shostak is actually the best Belarussian goalie at the moment going by the eye test. Overall, if this was an evaluation for an entire regular season in some league I'd say Slovakia has a slight edge but in a short tournament like this it's pretty meaningless.

Belarus' defense, on the other hand, is clearly much better. Guys like Khenkel or Lisovets didn't land on the teams they are playing for by just looking pretty. Falkovsky and Solovyov are also quite excellent (for their roles). They basically have the defense of the mid-table KHL team while Slovak D is much, much weaker.. I do agree Bailen and Gernat are pretty even but after that, the comparison favors Belarus every step of the way.

At forward, since we now know Panik, Ruzicka aren't coming Slovak advantage is also very slight (if at all there). Belarus has the best forward on both teams in Sharangovich, they also have excellent KHL-level centers for all 4 lines. Slovaks probably have an advantage on 2nd and 4th line wing but again, that is so minor it's barely there.

Overall Slovakia just really doesn't have any areas of overwhelming strength on Belarus. The fight between those two will obviously come down to minor details but in this purely on the paper comparison, Belarus probably has an advantage if anything (due to defense and the Sharangovich factor). I don't like the whole naturalization thing as much as the next guy but it is what it is.

Reactions: stastny12

erik26

Apr 10, 2012
Hudacek >Shostak
Gernat=Bailen
but

Grman (CZ) - Rosandic (CZ)
Daloga (CZ) - Nemec (SVK)
Janosik (SWE) - Grman (FIN)
Ivan (SVK) - Knazko (FIN jun.)
Koch (CZ) - Gachulinec (SVK)

Khenkel (KHL/Kazan) - Bailen (KHL/Minsk 4. most productive defender of the league)
Lisovets (Ufa/KHL) - Korobov (Ufa/KHL)
Solovyov (Minsk/KHL) - Falkovsky (Minsk/KHL, 29. point this season)
Kolyanchuk (AHL) - Shinkevich (Minsk/KHL)
Znakharchuk (Minsk/KHL) -- Yeremeyev (Minsk/KHL)

Cehlarik (SWE, 41. point) - Hrivik (SWE, 1. most productive player of the league, 53. point) - Lantosi (AHL, 15. point, and 18. point in Slovak league )

Pospisil (FIN, 30. point ) - Kristof (FIN, 26. point) - Skalicky (FIN, 48. point)

Slafkovsky (FIN jun.) - Holesinsky (SVK, 24. point ) - Studenic (AHL, 7. point and 2. point in NHL)

Liska (Cherepovest/KHL, 19. point) - Roman (CZ, 15. point) - Hrehorcak (CZ, 18. point)
Regenda (SVK, 30. point) - Sukel (CZ, 20. point) - Kelemen (SVK, 44. point)

Prince (Minsk/KHL, 55. point) - Pare (Minsk/KHL, 11. point) - Sharangovich (NJ Devils/NHL, 30. point + 25. point in KHL)

Platt (Ufa/KHL, 18. point) - Kodola (Cherepovets/KHL, 34. point) - Protas (AHL, 5. point and 18 point in KHL)

S. Kostitsyn (ICHL, 8. point) - Nesterov (BEL, 55. point) - A. Kostitsyn (CZ, 15. point and 10. point in KHL)

Belevich (Torpedo/KHL, 17. point) - Usov (Minsk/KHL, 6. point) - Demkov (Minsk/KHL, 21. point)

Martynov (Minsk/KHL, 4. point) - Drozd (BEL, 31. point) - Komarov (Omsk/KHL, 2. point)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
An admirable attempt at something but some guys aren't even on the teams :laugh: Also Belevich and Komarov are crucial parts of the Belarussian center core while you moved them to the wing (or out of roster in Komarov's case :laugh: ) for whatever reason. Trust me, hell freezes over sooner than Nesterov gets to center Kostitsyn brothers ahead of those two.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Well, Kolosov is the 3rd goalie on the Belarus roster so he hardly matters. In general, goalies seem pretty even. Taylor has regressed but so has Hudacek, Shostak is actually the best Belarussian goalie at the moment going by the eye test. Overall, if this was an evaluation for an entire regular season in some league I'd say Slovakia has a slight edge but in a short tournament like this it's pretty meaningless.

Belarus' defense, on the other hand, is clearly much better. Guys like Khenkel or Lisovets didn't land on the teams they are playing for by just looking pretty. Falkovsky and Solovyov are also quite excellent (for their roles). They basically have the defense of the mid-table KHL team while Slovak D is much, much weaker.. I do agree Bailen and Gernat are pretty even but after that, the comparison favors Belarus every step of the way.

At forward, since we now know Panik, Ruzicka aren't coming Slovak advantage is also very slight (if at all there). Belarus has the best forward on both teams in Sharangovich, they also have excellent KHL-level centers for all 4 lines. Slovaks probably have an advantage on 2nd and 4th line wing but again, that is so minor it's barely there.

Overall Slovakia just really doesn't have any areas of overwhelming strength on Belarus. The fight between those two will obviously come down to minor details but in this purely on the paper comparison, Belarus probably has an advantage if anything (due to defense and the Sharangovich factor). I don't like the whole naturalization thing as much as the next guy but it is what it is.
I agree with most of what you say here, the teams are pretty evenly matched overall. Although I would point out that guys like Holesinsky should not be overlooked because of their point total in weaker Slovak league. Both him and Fominykh (who was recently cut) were skating circles around top German DEL defenders in the O-zone. The matchup will probably come down to special teams. Even though it’s just the first game of the tournament, it is essentially a must win for both. Reminds me of Swiss-Slovak game on opening day during WJC.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Komarov dnes hraje na křídle.
Well, Nesterov is also playing 1st line center today so take that as you will.

which guys? Kolyanchuk come, Protas come and Sharangovich come....
Is there any information about Kolyachyonok or Protas actually coming? It would be kinda surprising especially since Belarus doesn't even have a particular need to call someone like Kolyachonok up, he would be like 10th defenseman, would have to be integrated into the lineup somehow (for no real benefit), and struggle through the whole bubble thing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
a few days back
Can you link it? In an interview posted today the agent literally says he doesn't know if they are gonna play for NT or not, why would that even be a question if they were confirmed a few days back? The older stuff just says that there will be no AHL playoffs so the AHL guys might be available for that reason.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Correct me if Im wrong, not quite sure how the bubble works
I don't either but Hajek, Zadina and Hronek flew in two days ago and all 3 are playing today. No idea how that's possible but it is. Chytil is also practicing with team and he arrived yesterday as well.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad