WC: 2021 Slovakia Roster Talk

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Sekera, Jaros and Panik will not join the NT, officially. This not the case of Studenic, though.

This is sad. Sekera usually always says yes, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But Panik has only participated in one international tournament since 2014, and that was when it was on home ice. Every other time (two World Championships and one Olympics) was before he enterted his prime.

And Jaros has barely played hockey this season.

I don't know their reasons for declining, but genereally speaking, I wish Slovak NHL'ers would be more happy to help. The Slovak people still loves hockey and have waited for their National team to make the quarter finals for nearly a decade now.

Last edited:

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
This is sad. Sekera usually always says yes, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But Panik has only participated in one international tournament since 2014, and that was when it was on home ice. Every other time (two World Championships and one Olympics) was before he enterted his prime.

And Jaros has barely played hockey this season.

I don't know there reasons for declining, but genereally speaking, I wish Slovak NHL'ers would be more happy to help. The Slovak people still loves hockey and have waited for their National team to make the quarter finals for nearly a decade now.
Reasons:
Panik and Sekera - pregnant wives
Jaros - no contract for next season

Reactions: Elvs

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Reasons:
Panik and Sekera - pregnant wives
Jaros - no contract for next season

Thanks.

I don't really buy the contract excuse for Jaros, though. Sure, for a lot of NHL players it makes sense to not play in the WC without a contract if they are in for a raise. But Jaros is a pending RFA and is gonna be making peanuts (relatively speaking) again with his next contract.

Lantosi and Huska are in the same contract situation, as well as Studenic. Not to mention a bunch of European based players with expiring contracts.

The only explanation I can think of, is Jaros' agent eyeing for a 1-way contract in the NHL, something Lantosi, Huska and Studenic surely won't get. Jaros has some NHL experience under his belt, so the possibility could be real, though I doubt it happens.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Thanks.

I don't really buy the contract excuse for Jaros, though. Sure, for a lot of NHL players it makes sense to not play in the WC without a contract if they are in for a raise. But Jaros is a pending RFA and is gonna be making peanuts (relatively speaking) again with his next contract.

Lantosi and Huska are in the same contract situation, as well as Studenic. Not to mention a bunch of European based players with expiring contracts.

The only explanation I can think of, is Jaros' agent eyeing for a 1-way contract in the NHL, something Lantosi, Huska and Studenic surely won't get. Jaros has some NHL experience under his belt, so the possibility could be real, though I doubt it happens.
Yeah ... I think that he just don't wanna be in another bubble. But it is what it is. He would be a good fit because our defense lacks size. Most of our defensemen are offensive and we just don't have that big defensive defenseman who is physical, strong along the boards (maybe only Bucko). Guys like Cajkovsky, Ceresnak, Jaros bring this aspect.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Thanks.

There is zero incentive for Jaros to risk an injury with no contract for the next season.

anyway, my lines prediction for the opening game

Top 9 F
Cehlarik Hrivik Studenic (NHL line)
Pospisil Ruzicka Lantosi (Finnish-AHL line)
Slafkovsky Kristof Skalicky (Finnish line)

Top 4 D
Daloga Nemec
Gernat Janosik

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There is zero incentive for Jaros to risk an injury with no contract for the next season.

anyway, my lines prediction for the opening game

Top 9 F
Cehlarik Hrivik Studenic (NHL line)
Pospisil Ruzicka Lantosi (Finnish-AHL line)
Slafkovsky Kristof Skalicky (Finnish line)

Top 4 D
Daloga Nemec
Gernat Janosik

i have hard to see the greatness with Adam Janosik, he is a very mediocre player.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Again, the same applies for Studenic, Lantosi, Huska and a bunch of European based players in this tournament. Pending RFA's making near league minimum tend to play in the World Championships regardless of not having a contract.

But it doesn't matter much. Jaros alone isn't enough to make Slovakia a quarter final team. They needed Panik and Sekera. I hope I'm wrong, though. If Slovakia somehow makes the quarter finals with this roster, guys like Cehlarik, Hrivik, K. Pospisil and Gernat (or rather, their agents) could get a couple of phone calls from NHL teams, though I doubt any of them (save for maybe Pospisil) would be interested in a 2-way deal.

Last edited:

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Again, the same applies for Studenic, Lantosi, Huska and a bunch of European based players in this tournament. Pending RFA's making near league minimum tend to play in the World Championships regardless of not having a contract.

But it doesn't matter much. Jaros alone isn't enough to make Slovakia a quarter final team. They needed Panik and Sekera. I hope I'm wrong, though. If Slovakia somehow makes the quarter finals with this roster, guys like Cehlarik, Hrivik, K. Pospisil and Gernat (or rather, their agents) could get a couple of phone calls from NHL teams, though I doubt any of them (save for maybe Pospisil) would be interested in a 2-way deal.

Jaros - finished his 4th season as a depth D on a cheap contract. Most likely he will sign 1 year 2 way deal. If not qualified he will be an UFA hence not willing to take risk I guess.
Studenic - got a taste of the NHL with 8 games once Devils were out of the playoffs. Has no leverage as his ELC expired.
Lantosi - because of his size he is below on the deptch chart after Lauko, Senyshyn, Studnicka hence the reason to compete against NHL players.
Huska - 4th goalie in the NYR organization, also if given the opportunity he would like to showcase himself
Cehlarik - if he has a strong tournament he might tempt a GM of NHL team to trade for his rights (Bruins). At 25 he still has a chance to be a regular in the NHL.
Hrivik - KHL
Gernat - KHL/Czech
Pospisil - KHL/FIN/Czech

Last edited:

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Earlier this month, Gernat claimed he is waiting for an NHL bid and willing to take even two-way contract. Like he mentioned, it´s his priority to play one game in the NHL, at least. (Source) Former Leksands player Hrivik has already signed for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. Cehlarik is on his way to Avangard Omsk, since the russian team acquired player rights lately. I don´t know how is the situation with Pospisil and Skalicky. I guess that mainly Skalicky has a chance to be signed by one of the NHL organizations.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You can somewhat understand Jaros, he probably thinks next year is make or break in the NHL for him, he is not a young guy anymore. Many NHL RFAs come without contract but a few are in his exact situation. And the last thing you want is getting injured and messing up your preparation plans going into a year like this.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
That's great news about Studenic. He is technically an NHL player and we could really use some on the NT.

Shame about Panik though, I was kind of hoping he'd show up in the end.

To be completely honest, I'd rather have an average (below average), but experienced NHL player (Panik - over 500 NHL games under his belt) than top performers of the Swedish league.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
That's great news about Studenic. He is technically an NHL player and we could really use some on the NT.

Shame about Panik though, I was kind of hoping he'd show up in the end.

To be completely honest, I'd rather have an average (below average), but experienced NHL player (Panik - over 500 NHL games under his belt) than top performers of the Swedish league.

Panik is defenitely a legit NHL player still. He's slowed down production wise, but much of that comes from seeing less offensive oppurtunities. He's still got great hands, skates well and can shoot. In the right situation, he'd still be the same player he was in Chicago and Arizona. He's looked pretty good in Detroit after the trade. Too bad he couldn't participate in this tournament.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Šatan confirmed he is trying to get Ružička.
According to flames beat reporter, Ruzicka is likely to make his NHL debut tomorrow as Monahan is out for last 4 games. I wonder if this will diminish his chances of coming to play. Calgary’s last game is on the 19th.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think I was a little quick to dismiss Slovakia's chances of making the quarter finals. Several nations are getting a lot of declines from NHL players. Unfortunately for Slovakia in group A, both the Czech's and the Swiss' are among those more lucky with reinforcments. The key is to not lose any points against either of Denmark, Belarus or Great Britain, and then be able to pull of one upset against the stronger nations. Not likely, I know. But not impossible, either.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I think I was a little quick to dismiss Slovakia's chances of making the quarter finals. Several nations are getting a lot of declines from NHL players. Unfortunately for Slovakia in group A, both the Czech's and the Swiss' are among those more lucky with reinforcments. The key is to not lose any points against either of Denmark, Belarus or Great Britain, and then be able to pull of one upset against the stronger nations. Not likely, I know. But not impossible, either.
I think that this team will be exciting to watch. When you look at the age of some players, its basically beginning of new era of Slovak hockey. Very young team (maybe youngest ever), fast, we are creating a lot of scoring opportunities thanks to our speed and forechecking ... we just need goals. I still believe in Cehlarik + Hrivik. Then guys like Studenic, Lantosi, "Finnish guys" Pospisil and Skalicky ,etc. Also we need solid performances from our goalie. Every time when Slovakia accomplished something, it was thanks to our goalies. And a lot of time goalies saved us from big embarrassment. But last 2 WC, our goalies were ... not consistent enough. Hopefully Konrad/Hudacek/Huska can steal some game for us.

Reactions: stastny12

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
If I had to guess this years games for us will be more low scoring, i.e 2-1, 1-0, 3-2. Key will be to not allow many goals because as seen by the exhibition games we aren’t world beaters when it comes to scoring. They key for us will be strong special teams. I hope they have been working mightily on the powerplay

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's hard to be too optimistic, Belarus - Slovakia game seems like a coin toss, roster-wise. Slovakia has more offensive depth but Belarus looks better on defense and has all the tools to get a potentially lethal powerplay. Belarus goalies don't look great but neither does Slovakia's.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
It's hard to be too optimistic, Belarus - Slovakia game seems like a coin toss, roster-wise. Slovakia has more offensive depth but Belarus looks better on defense and has all the tools to get a potentially lethal powerplay. Belarus goalies don't look great but neither does Slovakia's.
Probably. Although, Belarus isn´t the biggest obstacle here. Switzerland is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->