WC: 2021 Slovakia Roster Talk

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Since we can't really discuss U18 team this year for Slovakia and the men's team is playing the first preparation games today and tomorrow, I thought I might as well start a thread.

April 20th Slovakia vs. Latvia
April 21st Slovakia vs. Latvia

April 24th Slovakia vs. Germany
April 25th Slovakia vs. Germany

May 1st Slovakia vs. Austria
May 8th Slovakia vs. Austria

Current Roster:
Filip BELÁNYI HC 05 Banská Bystrica 2001
Denis GODLA HC Litvínov (CZ) 1995
Branislav KONRÁD HC Olomouc (CZ) 1987

Martin BUČKO HC Dynamo Pardubice (CZ) 2000
Marek ĎALOGA HC Dynamo Pardubice (CZ) 1989
Daniel GACHULINEC HC 07 Detva 1994
Mário GRMAN SaiPa Lappeenranta (FIN) 1997
Martin CHOVAN iClinic Bratislava Capitals
Adam JÁNOŠÍK IK Oskarshamn (SWE) 1992
Patrik KOCH HC Vítkovice Ridera (CZ) 1996
Martin VITALOŠ HK Nitra 2000
Šimon Nemec HK Nitra 2004
Samuel Kňažko TPS Turku/FIN U20 2002

Miloš BUBELA iClinic Bratislava Capitals 1992
Dávid BUC iClinic Bratislava Capitals 1987
Martin FAŠKO-RUDÁŠ HC 05 Banská Bystrica 2000
Daniil FOMINYKH HK Levice/HK Nitra 1998
Adrián HOLEŠINSKÝ HK Nitra 1996
Michal CHOVAN HK Košice 1987
Andrej KOLLÁR HK Nitra 1998
Patrik LAMPER HC 05 Banská Bystrica 1994
Adam LIŠKA Severstal Cherepovets (RUS/KHL) 1999
Miroslav MUCHA Lake Superior Stat Univ. (USA/NCAA) 1997
Oliver OKULIAR HK DUKLA Trenčín 2000
Andrej ŠŤASTNÝ HK Nitra 1991
Juraj Slafkovsky TPS Turku/FIN U20 2004

Reactions: hellwar9 and jaro

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How big chance for youngsters such as Slafkovsky, Rudas, Okuliar, Knazko and Nemec to make final roster? Also any chance Filip Mesar gets a invite?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm guessing we won't see a proper lineup until those Austria games?

Hrivik and Cehlarik were recently eliminated from the SHL playoffs. Maybe they'll join the team before the Germany games?

I'm assuming Kristof, Skalicky, Kristof, K. Pospisil, Ceresnak, Cajkovsky, Gernat, Rosandic, Rybar and Tomek are busy with playoffs in their respective leagues.

And I'm not sure what the word is on the AHL, if they will have playoffs or not this year. Otherwise Ruzicka, M. Pospisil and Lantosi should be in the mix.

From the NHL, only Panik, Studenic and Jaros should be available (unless Studenic and Jaros will be in the AHL). Other than them, Slovakia is gonna have to keep their fingers crossed for some early playoff exists. And even then, I'm guessing only Jurco and Marincin would be interested in playing, as they've been limited to only a handful of games this season.

Then there's Fehervary, who is in the AHL, but Washington is probably going to keep him around for depth during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

But guys like Tatar, Cernak and Halak, who are locks for the Olympics next year... I doubt any of them will come. I doubt Panik will join either for the same reason. But the shortened season and Detroit missing the playoffs gives a little hope.

Reactions: mirec04

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Technically im not wrong. :sarcasm:

True, but I wanted to point out for posters who aren't aware about the Slovak league that it's technically not possible for him to be invited. As it was also the reason why he wasn't invited to the u20 games where Ramsey got to watch the other 3 U20 players.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I'm guessing we won't see a proper lineup until those Austria games?

Hrivik and Cehlarik were recently eliminated from the SHL playoffs. Maybe they'll join the team before the Germany games?

I'm assuming Kristof, Skalicky, Kristof, K. Pospisil, Ceresnak, Cajkovsky, Gernat, Rosandic, Rybar and Tomek are busy with playoffs in their respective leagues.

And I'm not sure what the word is on the AHL, if they will have playoffs or not this year. Otherwise Ruzicka, M. Pospisil and Lantosi should be in the mix.

From the NHL, only Panik, Studenic and Jaros should be available (unless Studenic and Jaros will be in the AHL). Other than them, Slovakia is gonna have to keep their fingers crossed for some early playoff exists. And even then, I'm guessing only Jurco and Marincin would be interested in playing, as they've been limited to only a handful of games this season.

Then there's Fehervary, who is in the AHL, but Washington is probably going to keep him around for depth during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

But guys like Tatar, Cernak and Halak, who are locks for the Olympics next year... I doubt any of them will come. I doubt Panik will join either for the same reason. But the shortened season and Detroit missing the playoffs gives a little hope.
Cajkovsky is not going due to personal reasons. M. Pospisil and Ceresnak are injured.

Not sure about the North American players, but I think we won´t see many of them in the Slovak roster. Hopefully, the youngsters from Slovak league such as Kelemen, Regenda or even Gaspar will take a shot. They have made a huge step forward in their careers in the current season.

Reactions: Elvs

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Marek Tvrdon and Radovan Bondra have a shoot?
Not really. Tvrdon doesn´t have a skating for international hockey, imho. On the other hand, Bondra definitely has a chance to be nominated, at least for couple of pre-tournament games. However, I don´t know if it´ll be enough to make a team. And furthermore, his team Zvolen advanced to the league final yesterday.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
After I saw both games vs Latvia I liked few guys, especially our young players.
Both goalie looked solid, even though they didn't face many shots.
From defense: Nemec, Daloga, Knažko.
Offense: Faško-Rudaš, Slafkovsky, Fominykh, Okuliar, Líška.
This team will be very young, maybe our youngest ever, I wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: hellwar9

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Not really. Tvrdon doesn´t have a skating for international hockey, imho. On the other hand, Bondra definitely has a chance to be nominated, at least for couple of pre-tournament games. However, I don´t know if it´ll be enough to make a team. And furthermore, his team Zvolen advanced to the league final yesterday.

Tvrdon was injured and has now been replaced by F Rastislav Gaspar from Slovan Bratislava for the games against Germany.

Reactions: stastny12

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
Panik - Hrivik - Cehlarik
Studenic - Ruzicka - Liska
Skalicky - Kristof - Pospisil
Hrehorcak - Roman - Faško Rudaš

Extra : Okuliar, Slafkovsky

Sekera - Jaros
Daloga - Knazko
Gernat - Nemec
Grman

Godla
Konrad

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
All three u20 players survived the first cut and are invited to camp before games against AUT this weekend.

Roster changes:

OUT
G Denis Godla
D Martin Vitalos
F Miroslav Mucha
F Milos Bubela
F Michal Chovan
F Oliver Okuliar
F Rastislav Gaspar (injured)

IN
G Julius Hudacek Spartak Moscow / KHL
G Matej Tomek Saipa / Kalpa / FIN
D Matrin Gernat HC Ocelari Trinec / CZE (from May 3rd)
D Mislav Rosandic HC Bili Tygri Liberec / CZE (from May 3rd)
F Peter Cehlarik Leksand IF / SWE
F Marek Hrivik Leksand IF / SWE
F Michal Kristof Karpat Oulu / FIN
F Matus Sukel Sparta Prague / CZE
F Pavol Regenda Hk Michalovce
F Milos Roman HC Ocelari Trinec / CZE
F Patrik Hrehorcak HC Ocelari Trinec / CZE

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Wow, Okuliar cut already? And Godla? He always seem to perform well on the national team, compared to Hudacek for example. Not to mention he is younger.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Wow, Okuliar cut already? And Godla? He always seem to perform well on the national team, compared to Hudacek for example. Not to mention he is younger.

Godla looked kinda shaky in the exhibition games.

As for Okuliar, he was a bot unlucky in terms of line-mates in the exhibition games, but he didn't show that much in those games himself.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Okuliar is a goal-scorer. But unfortunately, now only in Slovak league. And for this there are other players from better leagues.
Godla is good, but not a difference-maker. Hudacek, Tomek, Rybar play in better leagues.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Okuliar is a goal-scorer. But unfortunately, now only in Slovak league. And for this there are other players from better leagues.
Godla is good, but not a difference-maker. Hudacek, Tomek, Rybar play in better leagues.

Yeah, I'm not surprised Okuliar didn't make the World Championship team. He's born 2000 and his production in Tipos Liga slowed down towards the end. But I thought they'd let him stick around longer for experience.

As for Godla, I just feel like he's proved to rise to the occasion when it's really mattered. Hudacek is getting old, and always seem to fumble under pressure on the national team.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So right now...

Tomek
Hudacek
Konrad
Belanyi

Daloga - Janosik
Gernat - Grman
Knazko - Nemec
Rosandic - Koch
Chovan/Bucko/Gachulinec

Cehlarik - Kristof - Hrivik
Liska - Sukel - Slafkovsky
Hrehorcak - Roman - Lamper
Rudas - Kollar - Stastny
Buc - Holesinsky - Regenda
Fominykh

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
So right now...

Tomek
Hudacek
Konrad
Belanyi

Daloga - Janosik
Gernat - Grman
Knazko - Nemec
Rosandic - Koch
Chovan/Bucko/Gachulinec

Cehlarik - Kristof - Hrivik
Liska - Sukel - Slafkovsky
Hrehorcak - Roman - Lamper
Rudas - Kollar - Stastny
Buc - Holesinsky - Regenda
Fominykh
Belanyi, Lamper and Stastny are injured. Chovan did not survive one of the last cuts.

Besides that I doubt that two young defenceman like Nemec and Knazko will play together. Also Slafkovsky in the second. I´m rooting for him but he has not achieved that kind of level yet.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I remember Gachulinec from the first year I started following Slovakia at the World Juniors. I liked his game in that tournament. I imagine he must finally have taken a big step in Tipos Liga this season to make it this far.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Belanyi, Lamper and Stastny are injured. Chovan did not survive one of the last cuts.

Besides that I doubt that two young defenceman like Nemec and Knazko will play together. Also Slafkovsky in the second. I´m rooting for him but he has not achieved that kind of level yet.

i think Michal Chovan was cut but not Martin Chovan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad