Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Only player linked with San Jose is Cizikas. Hope and pray we don’t go down that route.

But he plays a MAN'S role!!!!

Signing Cizikas to be the 3C is stealth tank material but I don't know if DW actually realizes that.

Reactions: Friday

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It seems likely that DW is just waiting until the last minute to see if he can find a trade for Jones.

I mean, I suppose you can't blame him...but maybe it is a sign that he hasn't properly assessed the market? That he has fallen in love with his own players a bit too much?

Granted, if he doesn't buyout Jones, either he really is stealth-tanking or it is just further proof that he's lost his touch.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
It seems likely that DW is just waiting until the last minute to see if he can find a trade for Jones.

I mean, I suppose you can't blame him...but maybe it is a sign that he hasn't properly assessed the market? That he has fallen in love with his own players a bit too much?

Granted, if he doesn't buyout Jones, either he really is stealth-tanking or it is just further proof that he's lost his touch.
Or he is simply waiting till the last day like many GMs do or he feels like they can live with the contract for the next few years even if they don’t play Jones. Time will tell.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Ultimately, I don't think it's the direction we should go, but I have no doubt Wilson is running through every Eichel to SJ option. I'll almost be more surprised if it doesn't happen. First time since Karlsson he's had trade capital, he can't help himself.

The bolded seems a bit much, but it's hard not to agree that he can't help himself. With Eichel demanding out from an Eastern Conf Team, you have to think DW is thinking he can pull off another massive Joe Thornton trade, not in terms in getting Eichel for that much of a steal, but for acquiring a franchise-defining player. Landing Thornton is a huge reason for the Sharks astonishing success in the mid to late 00's and 2010s. Doug is probably thinking, "I can have us be a perennial contender again if we get Eichel, and if we get into the playoffs enough times, we're bound to win one Cup at some point."

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Saw talk of Cizikas getting 5 mil lol. I will die if Doug gives him that

I think hes fine for like 1.5 - 2 mil but hes going to get more. Basically only provides depth defense

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If the Sharks do get some more forward depth, what are they going to do with all their current depth? It's not high quality, but those players have to go somewhere!

I suppose that's always the problem managing timelines.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Looking at the FA list, I'd probably look into targeting Stastny, Wennberg, and Nosek as potential centers to acquire.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Looking at the FA list, I'd probably look into targeting Stastny, Wennberg, and Nosek as potential centers to acquire.

The question, of course, is whether they're man enough to be Doug Wilson's man.

I would go for Wennberg, but Doug's UFA track record is terribly worrying. I guess we can hope for Manny Malhotra instead of Adam Burish, but Malhotra stands out as a historical exception at this point, I'm afraid.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Just to get ahead of it: think of signing a UFA like getting a player for free. When that happens, if it isn't a charity case, you know that the cost is taking on a bad contract. Once again it seems like there are going to be many teams chasing a few biggish fish, so I expect players will be overpaid relative to "expected" value. There's a reason you can't build a team through free agency.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If Goodrow can get 3.6x6 what's Cizikas' market value? Gotta be 4x4 at a minimum. This is going to be a hilarious contract.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If Goodrow can get 3.6x6 what's Cizikas' market value? Gotta be 4x4 at a minimum. This is going to be a hilarious contract.
Yeah, rumor is he’s asking for $5 million. He was already getting $3.35 million on his last deal so someone is going to drastically overpay.

Odds that NYI was the team Sheng was referencing and we’re moving Simek for Matt Martin lol.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
How do you figure? Ristolainen got a 1st, 2nd, and a NHL Dman.

This deal nets a 1st, a recent 2nd round forward who’s on track, a recent 2nd round Dman who’s on track, and a young NHL middle 6 winger.

I figure because they got that return for Rasmus Ristolainen, who is a bad defenseman

This is for Jacl Eichel, who is actually a good center and it's basically the same return, so it's better value for RR

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
What was the sentiment with the deal after Timo signed it? Sure seems like DW poison pilled his own contract as it gets closer to expiring

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What was the sentiment with the deal after Timo signed it? Sure seems like DW poison pilled his own contract as it gets closer to expiring
Most people thought it was a pretty fair deal. 4 years and $6 million per year for a guy that was coming off a 30-36-66 season as a 22 year old. I don't think DW is going to sell low on Meier though. He is still signed to a fair deal by most standards, only 24 years old, and still been at 50+ point pace per 82 over his last two seasons combined (which are considered down years). If they move Meier, they're either going to attach a Jones contract to it and get back a lesser upside winger in the process or they're going to get a young center I think. It won't need to be a discount if he's moved.

While DW overpays sometimes on trades, he's proven to be very good at maximizing the value of his NHL proven assets when he moves them. It hasn't happened often over the past 15 years, but the times it happens he gets some nice packages.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Most people thought it was a pretty fair deal. 4 years and $6 million per year for a guy that was coming off a 30-36-66 season as a 22 year old. I don't think DW is going to sell low on Meier though. He is still signed to a fair deal by most standards, only 24 years old, and still been at 50+ point pace per 82 over his last two seasons combined (which are considered down years). If they move Meier, they're either going to attach a Jones contract to it and get back a lesser upside winger in the process or they're going to get a young center I think. It won't need to be a discount if he's moved.
I meant the 10M to qualify at the end of it. Had to be included to get him at a fair 4x6?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I meant the 10M to qualify at the end of it. Had to be included to get him at a fair 4x6?
Think it was mostly just assumed that he's going to be signed long-term beyond that. I think entirely too much is made of that QO with Meier and my thoughts on it are well-documented anywhere hockey is discussed on the internet haha. Just treat/view him as an expiring UFA rather than an expiring RFA and it's a non-event. Too many galaxy brained people out there trying to make it into something that it isn't.

Reactions: Cas and spintops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad