Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
God dammit! Was in the middle of a reply...:laugh:
I agree on Knyzhov, I just think that on a good team he's playing on the 3rd pairing rather than the 2nd pairing. Just for fun, let's say the following happens:

DW buys out Jones and Vlasic
Seattle takes Donato
Simek and Labanc are traded (not sure the return but their caps are gone)
DW acquires Khudobin via trade and signs Driedger to a 3x3 in UFA to solidify goaltending.
RFAs are re-signed to the deals we assume are coming.

Would leave $15.3 million in cap space to be allocated to a top 4 LD, bottom pair RD, 3C, and maybe even another top/middle 6 winger. Feel like you could drastically improve the team with that amount of cap space even without thinking of what you're getting back in the Labanc deal. Add in the goaltending tandem improvement by leaps and bounds compared to the last few years and I think that could be the shrewd move needed to turn things around. The counterpoint would be that the team is still an injury to Hertl/Couture away from imploding on itself again, so if that happens you just married yourself to a steep buyout for years to come without much of anything to show for it. Tough line to toe on either side, but if you're not rebuilding you may as well jump in with both feet to trying to compete (without giving up future 1st rounders).
Sharks don't need to sign a 3rd pair D-man. There are enough guys in the system to fill a 6th D slot. Save that money for the additional top/middle 6 player. Whatever forwards are acquired in your scenario they need to be able to play center if necessary and/or the 3c needs to be able to move up to the top 6 and at least be passable in the event of an injury to Couture or Hertl. Love the idea overall though.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Dvorak would be a great center pickup. I don’t see why Labanc isn’t a close to even swap but the fans didn’t love it.

Also, Jake Allen could probably be in SJ if they wanted him. Apparently MTL is trying to move but value is not high considering most teams have a goalie they are protecting. Hopefully the sharks aren’t worried about protecting Korenar because there’s advantages to be taken here.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Imagine handicapping your cap space by 20% for three years because of your ego and wanting to make "your team". Not to mention FA's thinking twice about signing with your team because you've shown a lack of commitment.

Guerin is an idiot and is driving the Wild into the ground already.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Imagine handicapping your cap space by 20% for three years because of your ego and wanting to make "your team". Not to mention FA's thinking twice about signing with your team because you've shown a lack of commitment.

I honestly wonder if he talked to the rest of the team? I'd be surprised if many of them were on board with this.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Unless you’re talking about someone else, I have no idea why anyone would think Guerin had commitments to Parise and Suter, and therefore think anything of him buying them out.

Now not telling them is a bad look, but he didn’t sign those atrocious contracts.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Unless you’re talking about someone else, I have no idea why anyone would think Guerin had commitments to Parise and Suter, and therefore think anything of him buying them out.

Now not telling them is a bad look, but he didn’t sign those atrocious contracts.

Guerin didn't, but the team and Leipold did. Who's gonna want to sign with them long term now when Leipold can just fire Guerin and bring in the next guy and have their relationship with the team become jeopardized?

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Wow, that is astounding.

In the realm of buyouts, I think I'd prefer we wait a year before buying out Jones. I want him gone, but it saves an extra year of penalty and reduces the annual penalty a fair amount (aside from this year, obviously). Ultimately, I think's best chance to open is a window is after the next two drafts. #7 Overall, Bordeleau, and next years 1st will likely come into the team. All three will need new contracts in 2024-2025. If you buy Jones out next summer, he's off the books when they need new contracts. Maybe the extra $1M will be helpful while those players are on ELCs (and as cheap as possible). If kept, Burns and Kane would also be off the books they need a new contract, and Vlasic and Karlsson would follow the following year.

My offseason 'stealth tank' plan:
1. Check market for Hertl- If you can get a '22 or '23 lottery pick, a blue-chip asset (Bowen Byram), or a mid-1st and a good prospect, consider it. That said, I'd prefer to retain him, as you'll need some vet based on some of the other moves.
2. Check market for Kane- if you can get a 1st+good prospect move him, if not keep an ear to the ground
2. Move one large contract- preferably Couture or Burns for the best possible pick, or retain up to 2M and get value consistent with their play (but not term)
3. Shoot for a buy low goalie- UFA or Jake Allen. Someone better than Jones, but maybe not a proven #1 on a 2-yr deal. I'd love a quality young guy, but wouldn't give up next year's 2nd or better
4. Keep Jones for this year, let him try and beat out the new #1 goalie, when he fails, send him down (and buy him out following year), Korenar is back-up unless Jones somehow wins starting job
5. Sign a 3C on a 1 year deal
6. Retain up to 50% on Meier for a mid 1st+ or 2022 1st
7. Vlasic & Karlsson contracts expire in 6 years....

Offseason Alternative:
1. Acquire Jack Eichel--> be better for the next 5 years, solve the teams #1 problem.
2. Hope a starting goalie and quality secondary players (from the prospect ranks) appear
3. Hope things work, but at least I'd feel like there's a chance
4. Hope Karlsson can wide back the clock for 2-3 of the 5 years.
5. Matt Trick is entertained at least ultimately culminating in
6. (Probably death and destruction around 2027)....

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Havent heard anything on who the sharks want in net. Gotta wonder if Kurz keeps insinuating the Labanc hockey deal because they want a young goalie. Id be interested in Sorokin, Demko, Saros, Shesterkyn or Peterson in the right deal, although none of them are guys id expect on the market.

We should offer sheet Sorokin. Isles are in cap hell. 1 year $4 million deal would only cost a 2nd.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Mess with LL, and you'll come to regret it.

LL should have thought of that before he gave Leo Komarov and Matt Martin $4.5 million a year.

The more I think about it a Sorokin offer sheet should be a no-brainer for the Sharks. The only risk is that if the Isles take the full seven days to match most of the good UFA goalies will probably be gone. But I don't think it would be easy for them to match a $4 million offer for him.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
LL should have thought of that before he gave Leo Komarov and Matt Martin $4.5 million a year.

The more I think about it a Sorokin offer sheet should be a no-brainer for the Sharks. The only risk is that if the Isles take the full seven days to match most of the good UFA goalies will probably be gone. But I don't think it would be easy for them to match a $4 million offer for him.
And they will not be happy. 1 year walks him to UFA which they really wont like, but he should love.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
...My wayward Sharks.

Also, @themelkman @Doctor Soraluce I think you guys were looking for this previously?

/ccpa/

Edit: not sure why the link keeps going to: "/ccpa/" instead of:

triblive.com/sports/if-you-were-an-nhl-player-which-team-would-you-veto-a-trade-to/
Thank you so much for this! Awesome of you to find this!

So SJ is 20th... Some team below them are likely only there because they weren't competitive at the time. This was a few years ago when the Sharks were still "good" and coming off their conference finals appearance. That tells me that SJ taxes and cost of living are a real detriment to signing UFAs and a big reason why the Sharks never seem to get a home town discount with their guys. All 3 California teams in the lower 1/3. Locations SJ is better than are mostly places no one in their right mind would want to live. Vancouver is likely to climb that list as the become more competitive. Beautiful city. Seattle probably already ranks higher than SJ IMO.

Reactions: landshark
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad