Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Does Hill just have to file for arbitration or does the negotiation have to go to arbitration? I.e. if they settled prior to the arb hearing would they be able to buy him out still in another window?

Not 100% sure on this but I believe he just needs to file for arbitration and regardless of whether he and the Sharks end up settling or the case goes to a hearing the Sharks will get a second buyout window.

It is honestly pretty smart to utilize this option IMO since it allows them to explore the UFA goalie market before pulling the trigger on a Jones buyout.

Reactions: ChompChomp

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Just can't see any GM dumb enough to take that contract on. He's either getting buried in the minors or we're stuck with him another year. Gross.
If the Sharks retained 50% and attached another asset(s) as part of the deal then I would not be shocked. Jones at $2.875 million is still too much, but not unbearably bad either. Especially if you send him to a team like Arizona who is actively selling cap space for assets and also going to be without a goalie going into next season as Hill was traded, Kuemper is being moved, and Raanta is a UFA. They could use a tank commander for their rebuild.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Sharks retained 50% and attached another asset(s) as part of the deal then I would not be shocked. Jones at $2.875 million is still too much, but not unbearably bad either. Especially if you send him to a team like Arizona who is actively selling cap space for assets and also going to be without a goalie going into next season as Hill was traded, Kuemper is being moved, and Raanta is a UFA. They could use a tank commander for their rebuild.

Arizona and Buffalo both make sense provided that Jones is willing to go there. I can't imagine he has either on his three team trade list.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Hey, I traded Jones to ARZ for Kuemper and won the cup. Clearly that's what we need to do!

In reality, I'm honestly not confident Jones isn't on the roster to start the season, and that's just disgusting.

Reactions: SharksAddict

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Not 100% sure on this but I believe he just needs to file for arbitration and regardless of whether he and the Sharks end up settling or the case goes to a hearing the Sharks will get a second buyout window.

It is honestly pretty smart to utilize this option IMO since it allows them to explore the UFA goalie market before pulling the trigger on a Jones buyout.
Yeah, if it is that shut and dry of a process then I am on board with this move by DW to keep pushing the decision out longer and expanding your options coming into and out of UFA on Wednesday. Also means that they weren't lying whenever they said they had still not made a decision on the goaltending. I don't expect Jones to be here regardless next year, just a matter of what avenue they go to ensure that he is gone. Like shrewd DW a lot.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Arizona and Buffalo both make sense provided that Jones is willing to go there. I can't imagine he has either on his three team trade list.
Yep. Both are going to be going tank mode and are going to need a goalie that can play 40-55 games (and honestly probably don't care at what level that goalie plays those games). Jones is not good, but he is pretty durable and can handle a workload which gives those teams to rebuild and not ruin prospects while also getting assets back in return for eating money.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I believe that it's a two day period beginning on the 3rd day following the last settlement or last receipt of the team's last award in arbitration.

Reactions: Hodge

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. Both are going to be going tank mode and are going to need a goalie that can play 40-55 games (and honestly probably don't care at what level that goalie plays those games). Jones is not good, but he is pretty durable and can handle a workload which gives those teams to rebuild and not ruin prospects while also getting assets back in return for eating money.

Shit, if Buffalo is wanting a tank commander and wants to toss Eichel west, if we're able to give them Jones in the process, I'd call that trade a huge win even with Eichel's injury risk. lol

Reactions: Sandisfan

wishman

Jan 20, 2007

Looks like we have to wait one more day to confirm if Jones is being bought out or not.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to this.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
No clue how legit the rumors were, but that was the speculated trade on draft day. Timo for Holtz and either their late first, or Sharks move up to 4 (and maybe some other stuff).
Timo for Holtz + Top 10 protected 2022 first Would be fantastic. That’s the kind of deal we should be going for. Works a lot better for our future and expected compete window and even if DW wants to compete this year, use that cap space to sign Granlund or something like that.

Reactions: Patty Ice

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Timo for Holtz + Top 10 protected 2022 first Would be fantastic. That’s the kind of deal we should be going for. Works a lot better for our future and expected compete window and even if DW wants to compete this year, use that cap space to sign Granlund or something like that.
id 100% do that

Reactions: Patty Ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->