Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Just want to say you guys might be the sleeper team for jack eichel with Eklund to win it all
I think the only way DW is back in on Eichel is if they decide to take a DW special. Quantity over quality. Kinda like what EK65 brought back. Doubt it's 2 firsts though. The injury gamble is real with Eichel. EK65 was about as healthy as he could be expected to be when he moved to the Sharks. It'll have to include salary going back and it'll have to involve guys without clauses unless they can somehow move Couture to another team and get a 1st back.

Just Sharks assets:
Meier, Labanc, Merkley, 2022 1st (lottery protected), 2023 3rd, 2 mid Prospects

As the price comes down for Eichel, and it will, always does... The Sharks package will start to look better compared to other teams because other teams with better prospects are going to be reluctant to give up their best assets for damaged goods like Eichel. When you start comparing Labanc and Meier to anyone that other teams might give up, their age and potential starts to look like a better bet for a rebuilding team like the Sabres. And if someone is betting that the Sharks still suck despite the changes then a 2022 unprotected first looks like gold in that trade and maybe you pull something back out.

Buffalo needs a goalie right? And they want high picks...? :naughty:

Reactions: hockeyCEO

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Why would anyone trade any assets for Jones, even if he's in the middle of one of his patented hot streaks, knowing he's going to turn back into a rotting pile of vegetables and do something like blow a 6 goal lead against an empty net?

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
This may seem like a completely ridiculous question, but what would it take to sign Ovie? How much do we think he wants on his next contract and how could we make it work under our current cap situation?
back the truck up

would pay $25 million just to see ovi in a sharks uniform for 1 preseason game

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I agree with those who think Wilson will be in on Eichel. With Eklund in the bag it becomes much easier to move Wiesblatt (preferably), Bordeleau, or even both for a franchise center.

Beyond that, Buffalo’s window is closing to trade him anywhere and when it does Jack can say NYR or Boston, and their leverage tanks.

I’ve got to think Buffalo will target a non lottery protected pick in 2022 (and ‘23 perhaps). Target a team that could end up missing the playoffs with some bad luck or injuries.

I still would like to tank for the next year or two and try and grab Wright, Bedard, or Michkov, but this feels like something that’s got Wilson written all over of it.

Also perhaps that’s why Jones hasn’t been bought out?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I agree with those who think Wilson will be in on Eichel. With Eklund in the bag it becomes much easier to move Wiesblatt (preferably), Bordeleau, or even both for a franchise center.

Beyond that, Buffalo’s window is closing to trade him anywhere and when it does Jack can say NYR or Boston, and their leverage tanks.

I’ve got to think Buffalo will target a non lottery protected pick in 2022 (and ‘23 perhaps). Target a team that could end up missing the playoffs with some bad luck or injuries.

I still would like to tank for the next year or two and try and grab Wright, Bedard, or Michkov, but this feels like something that’s got Wilson written all over of it.

Also perhaps that’s why Jones hasn’t been bought out?

Jones for Eichel straight up?

I get the feeling the org loves Ozzy and won’t trade him. I can see a Merkley/Meier/Labanc situation though.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Sens fan here. I was checking the trade board and saw that Jones hasn't been put on waivers yet. Seemed like the most straight-forward buyout of anyone in the NHL not accused of rape or racism. What gives? Are they trying to shorten the time it would take for his buyout penalty to end?

They picked up Hill, so they obviously have a backup plan for next year, but the cap penalty on Jones buyout is pretty manageable and would give the team more flexibility to improve the team before guys like Couture, Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic decline further. If they don't intend to compete now, it still makes sense to buy him out to save money and develop a new guy alongside Hill to be a long-term solution in net.

I figured there was something I'm missing.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Sens fan here. I was checking the trade board and saw that Jones hasn't been put on waivers yet. Seemed like the most straight-forward buyout of anyone in the NHL not accused of rape or racism. What gives? Are they trying to shorten the time it would take for his buyout penalty to end?

They picked up Hill, so they obviously have a backup plan for next year, but the cap penalty on Jones buyout is pretty manageable and would give the team more flexibility to improve the team before guys like Couture, Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic decline further. If they don't intend to compete now, it still makes sense to buy him out to save money and develop a new guy alongside Hill to be a long-term solution in net.

my only thought is that since there is another buyout window, and that the buyout option always exists in DW's back pocket, he will try other ways to get Jones off the roster before resorting to a buyout

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Gotta make sure you guys have less of a chance at getting Wright.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

It’s either he has somehow managed to find a trade for him, plans on buying him out tomorrow, or is going to bury him in the AHL. The other option is that the Sharks are low-key tanking for one more year to give Eklund, Bordeleau, etc. a year of development while trying to get another high pick next year. Honestly, I don’t think any of us really know what DW’s plan is exactly next year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If they're not going to use the 2.7 mil in cap dollars that's the difference between buyout and burial, they should bury.

Reactions: weastern bias

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Honestly, I don’t think any of us really know what DW’s plan is exactly next year.

If we take the team president at his word, they're going to try to make the playoffs because they don't want to hemorrhage any more ticket sales.

I'm normally skeptical of front office-speak, but this seems believable because it has to do with the team's revenue.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
If we take the team president at his word, they're going to try to make the playoffs because they don't want to hemorrhage any more ticket sales.

I'm normally skeptical of front office-speak, but this seems believable because it has to do with the team's revenue.

If things keep going the way they are, they might not be able to go full capacity anyways.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I’m guessing DW is trying to do two things at once — he’s rebuilding, grabbing draft picks, trying to build the next generation of Sharks while simultaneously trying to please his bosses and make the playoffs. I think he figured, like most of us do, that even a pretty good goalie and a capable third line will at least make them competitive while buying him another year to get Bordeleau, Ozzy, Eklund etc etc ready.

DepressedSharksFan

Jun 7, 2020

welcome to a low rent operation organization that won't sniff a Stanley cup anytime soon because of the clowns in charge.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Why would anyone trade any assets for Jones, even if he's in the middle of one of his patented hot streaks, knowing he's going to turn back into a rotting pile of vegetables and do something like blow a 6 goal lead against an empty net?
It might not be "assets". Maybe it's a bad forward contract instead or part of a package with the Sharks taking less back as an enticement. It doesn't have to be as simple as jones for an "asset". If jones is moved I'm betting it isn't that simple. Jones at 3-3.5 mil as a backup to an established starter isn't that bad of an option considering his spurts of good play. Is it ideal? No but it can work depending on what the other team needs to get rid of what else the Sharks might be working on.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Pagnotta has SJ still listening on Meier post draft. Mentions center as a spot they’re looking to upgrade (not shocking) so curious how it all plays out leading into Wednesday.
is this on twitter?
I can’t imagine those two are related, though. Meier is worth way more than a 3C, surely.
Kuznetsov? Obviously Eichel could be an option. Are there any other centers being rumored to move that would be worthwhile?

How about Sharks move Couture, Meier and Labanc and bring in Kusneztov and Tarasenko to play with Barabanov. :sarcasm::laugh:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I can’t imagine those two are related, though. Meier is worth way more than a 3C, surely.
Tend to agree. Have to think that until tomorrow comes around that DW has something with Meier and Jones lined up. If Arizona can move OEL with no retention then surely there’s a market for Jones with a little retention.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

The deadline for waivers isn't until tomorrow. Pretty common for GMs to wait until the very last minute. DW probably still trying to trade him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad