Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think Bonino would be a good 3c. Probably wont get more than 3 mil and a short term deal
He's toward the bottom of guys I am good with at 3C (mostly due to age/upside), but if the term and dollars are low I could be okay with it. His underlyings look really good in that he managed to out perform Minny's Team xGF% while playing 35% OZ starts and also was close to 60% in terms of high danger chances for/against. Also like that he's a strong faceoff guy. Overall would be a fine 1 year option if that was something he'd be willing to do for a team that already trade him once.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah, rumor is he’s asking for $5 million. He was already getting $3.35 million on his last deal so someone is going to drastically overpay.

Odds that NYI was the team Sheng was referencing and we’re moving Simek for Matt Martin lol.

DW will justify paying Cizikas 5x4 by saying he scored 20 goals in the last full NHL season. As if this guy is ever going to shoot 18% again.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
DW will justify paying Cizikas 5x4 by saying he scored 20 goals in the last full NHL season. As if this guy is ever going to shoot 18% again.
I am hoping that the asking price along with the fact that he wants term puts us out of the running. Don't think we see DW adding long-term deals this offseason, especially not on a 30 year old 4th liner. Could be wrong, but think he's smart enough to not triple down on that after it blew up on him when the cap stopped rising.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I’m sure it’s been mentioned in one of our threads but I was watching an interview with William Eklund and he talks about how he and Alex Holtz are childhood friends and how it would be a dream to play together in the NHL. With NJ fans clamouring for Timo to play with Hischier, I wonder if something could be worked out around those two players?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I’m sure it’s been mentioned in one of our threads but I was watching an interview with William Eklund and he talks about how he and Alex Holtz are childhood friends and how it would be a dream to play together in the NHL. With NJ fans clamouring for Timo to play with Hischier, I wonder if something could be worked out around those two players?
No clue how legit the rumors were, but that was the speculated trade on draft day. Timo for Holtz and either their late first, or Sharks move up to 4 (and maybe some other stuff).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No clue how legit the rumors were, but that was the speculated trade on draft day. Timo for Holtz and either their late first, or Sharks move up to 4 (and maybe some other stuff).

Either one of those would have been a good trade for the Sharks and a much needed admission the franchise should be looking 5 years out instead of 1 or 2.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Personally hoping for Janmark or Granlund. I'd be okay with Foligno on paper as well but think he'll be out of their price range.
Janmark is one of the guys I am hoping to avoid at all costs. Fancy stats are pretty poor for him and think he's more winger than center.

Don't think Granlund really fits the mold of what DW is looking for at 3C as he isn't a guy that is going to play tough minutes (also don't want to buy high on his absurd 17.6% shooting percentage last year that inflated his numbers). I also think he's far better on the wing than he is at center, which was something discussed heavily last offseason.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Either one of those would have been a good trade for the Sharks and a much needed admission the franchise should be looking 5 years out instead of 1 or 2.
I would've liked the Holtz+ trade, not so sure about moving up though. Either way it didn't happen so whatever, but if we do trade Meier i would want a prospect like Holtz or a high pick in next years draft coming back.
Maybe we trade for Holtz so he and Eklund can stay close.

Reactions: Hodge

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
So today is the day we'll know if Jones is going to be bought out, right? Because you need to put any players for buy out on waivers by today so they clear tomorrow and can be bought out before tomorrow's 5pm ET for buy outs, correct?

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
With Clarke falling to 8 my half sarcasm post about trading Kane to LAK would have worked out pretty well IMO.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
They could also buy him out in the second window if Hill files for arbitration.
I really like Hill, and his potential, but I do think they could destroy him in arbitration if they want to.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008

So no Jones buyout. DW about to fleece someone to take the money off the books me thinks.

Just can't see any GM dumb enough to take that contract on. He's either getting buried in the minors or we're stuck with him another year. Gross.

Reactions: Cas

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
They could also buy him out in the second window if Hill files for arbitration.
Does Hill just have to file for arbitration or does the negotiation have to go to arbitration? I.e. if they settled prior to the arb hearing would they be able to buy him out still in another window?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Is there a deadline till when Jones needs to be put on waivers to be bought out? I am genuinely curious if DW is looking to try out Jones in a backup role and see if he can retain some form.

There are also grumblings of DW trying to move Meier and I wonder if that creates the extra cap space (and gets assets) to help out with the 3C and top-6 winger IF Jones still stays on the roster.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Is there a deadline till when Jones needs to be put on waivers to be bought out? I am genuinely curious if DW is looking to try out Jones in a backup role and see if he can retain some form.

There are also grumblings of DW trying to move Meier and I wonder if that creates the extra cap space (and gets assets) to help out with the 3C and top-6 winger IF Jones still stays on the roster.

I think we just passed that deadline at 12pm ET today for waivers for a buy out.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The period to put him on waivers for buyout has now passed. They're keeping him for now. The only way out now is trade, burial, or an arbitration. The only guys with arbitration rights as of now is Hill and Jaros.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

The deadline was 8 minutes ago.

Jones staying on the roster does not affect any of that other cap stuff for this season, because his replacement would cost less than the cap savings they would get by buying him out.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca