2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
If he doesn't play this season, they likely wouldn't even need him to waive.

It would have to be really evident it was career ending. Lupul wasn't exempted in the Vegas draft and he never played a game again.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So...unless they waive their NMCs Keith and Seabrook must be protected from exposure in the Expansion draft...Murphy Zadorov and Bowey all qualify to be exposed...no other Hawks dman has enough GP to be qualified for exposure.
They will protect Zadorov.

The assumption is that Bowey was acquired to be exposed in the draft under the rules Hawks must expose at least 1 qualifying dman.

De Haan...does he qualify. For exposure? The rule says a dman must either have played 40 games or more the season prior OR at least 70 games in the 2 seasons prior combined...this I assume means in 2019/20 and 2018/19 and does not mean the season just played for the 40 game rule...IF they mean 40 games in 2020/21 or 70 games combined during 2020/21and 2019/20 then you could remove DeHaan from exposure merely by limiting him to
39 games this season.

So you would think Bowey is exposed and the Hawks protect Murphy with 1 year (2021/22( remaining on his cobtract.

However Hawks could expose Murohy if Seattle pays the price price in an exoansion trade of considerations.

Otherwise Hawks protect Murphy and hope to get more in trading hom to another team after the draft ...in that case protecting Murphy may cost is a forward we wanted to keep should Seattle opt for that forward instead of taking Bowey.

I need to look at the forwards who qualify and who we probably do not protect..

So what does "prior season " mean(the current one just played OR referring to the 2 seasons before this current one?

If the latter then DeHaan must be exposed unless limited to 39 GP this season ...If the former he must be exposed as he would qualify by being over the 2 yr prior rule.

So if he does qualify and we do not protectvhom ,then we get nothing for DeHaan...which is why he must get traded at tge TDL or Murphy must get traded.

They are nit tradibg Zadirov...nor are they goibgvtl protect 5 dmen and justc3 forwards.

This tgexarfument is 1 of DeHaan or Murphy simply had to be traded at the TDL or before ...
Or maybe BOTH if Hawks choose 7F +3 D

Last edited:

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
Probably. But at that point, you're talking about a guy who missed over 100 games, and hadn't played a game in almost two years...

Effectively confirmed, from ESPN's story on today's Seabrook news:

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN's Greg Wyshynski that Seabrook will "likely not" have to be protected in the expansion draft.
"It's also likely he can't be selected by Seattle," Daly said. "Before the draft we will review list of players and deem players who have long-term, career-ending injuries as 'exempt' for purposes of draft."

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Effectively confirmed, from ESPN's story on today's Seabrook news:

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN's Greg Wyshynski that Seabrook will "likely not" have to be protected in the expansion draft.
"It's also likely he can't be selected by Seattle," Daly said. "Before the draft we will review list of players and deem players who have long-term, career-ending injuries as 'exempt' for purposes of draft."

I've maintained that this was the plan the moment Seabrook's surgeries were announced. It just had to play itself out. This organization knows what they are doing.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I've maintained that this was the plan the moment Seabrook's surgeries were announced. It just had to play itself out. This organization knows what they are doing.

NHL also has incentive to not screw over big market teams, agree or disagree the league is in a better place when Chicago is good...They let Toronto send off multiple players to ltir

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I agree

Off topic, but I think the Zadorov trade looks good regardless. After warming up for a bit, Saad is now 0/0/-4 in his last 6 games.
Saad is good $3MM dollar player. He was not a good value and he was inconsistent in his production. I love this deal not because Zherdev is a great defender, but the role he plays is so important----much more than a forward who wasn't physical and was a 40 point guy for 6MM.....we can go rob the Swiss league, match the production for 1/5th the cost.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Correct me if I am wrong here, but Seabs would be an even more attractive player for Seattle right?. With his LTIR, that is not actual paid money from the team- but it goes towards the cap which Seattle would probably love to have and NOT have to pay his salary as well...Interesting to see how this plays out as a Seabs has 2 years left at a $6.7 mil cap hit that helps Seattle reach the floor...just saying...

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Correct me if I am wrong here, but Seabs would be an even more attractive player for Seattle right?. With his LTIR, that is not actual paid money from the team- but it goes towards the cap which Seattle would probably love to have and NOT have to pay his salary as well...Interesting to see how this plays out as a Seabs has 2 years left at a $6.7 mil cap hit that helps Seattle reach the floor...just saying...

3 more years (after this one).

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

This is why the NHL exempts these contracts from the expansion draft. It's exactly what they DON'T want.

Reactions: SnakePlissken

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So the D and G is pretty set and they'll go 7-3-1 now. One thing for me I forgot thinking about it is you need to leave 2 forwards who played x amount of games and are signed.

So I think Carpenter will be one of those exposed for that and maybe Wallmark with his RFA tender signed might be the other. And protected being
Toews-Kane-Cat-Strome-Nylander-Hagel-Kampf(still an rfa)

Reactions: bwana63

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
So the D and G is pretty set and they'll go 7-3-1 now. One thing for me I forgot thinking about it is you need to leave 2 forwards who played x amount of games and are signed.

So I think Carpenter will be one of those exposed for that and maybe Wallmark with his RFA tender signed might be the other. And protected being
Toews-Kane-Cat-Strome-Nylander-Hagel-Kampf(still an rfa)

Highmore also meets the requirement to be exposed.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Seattle is a new market and ownership will be trying to field a competitive team right off the bat. Seabs does nothing to advance a competitive team.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Seattle is a new market and ownership will be trying to field a competitive team right off the bat. Seabs does nothing to advance a competitive team.

In a vacuum, of course. But you also have to consider the king's ransom we'd have to give them to swallow Seabs' contract. Powers threw out Mitchell and Hagel. Obviously, those 2 would help Seattle a ton. FWLIW, I wouldn't do that trade.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
In a vacuum, of course. But you also have to consider the king's ransom we'd have to give them to swallow Seabs' contract. Powers threw out Mitchell and Hagel. Obviously, those 2 would help Seattle a ton. FWLIW, I wouldn't do that trade.
Yeah that’s a no go.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
That'd be a "no" from me as well.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Just to be clear, I really don't think Powers was advocating it. I think he gave an example, so that fans would have some idea of what it would take. It's gonna take a lot. Probably not worth the pain, until the $ and term get smaller and there's daylight at the end of the cap tunnel.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

I would imagine Nylander would be the price. They would likely sniff on Strome too.

Wouldn't be surprised if they see a guy like Krys as a player they ask for too or Carlson. A young D caught in a log jam in addition to one of the aforementioned.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I would imagine Nylander would be the price. They would likely sniff on Strome too.

Wouldn't be surprised if they see a guy like Krys as a player they ask for too or Carlson. A young D caught in a log jam in addition to one of the aforementioned.

Well, if Nylander is the price, he gone. I'm a staunch defender, but that is an utter no-brainer. FWIW, I think Seattle is gonna need a whole lot more.

Reactions: Pertti and Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2