2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Who do you expect the hawks to protect or expose? Below are some rules on the draft.

When making players available in the draft, teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie, or eight skaters and a goalie, with these provisos:
  • Players with no-movement clauses who decline to waive those clauses must be protected.
  • First- and second-year NHL players and all unsigned draft choices are exempt from selection and do not count toward protection limits.
  • One available player must be a defenseman who is under contract in 2021-22 and played at least 40 NHL games in 2020-21 or 70 games in ’19-20 and ’20-21 combined.
  • Two available players must be forwards who are under contract in 2021-22 and played at least 40 NHL games in 2020-21 or 70 games in ’19-20 and ’20-21 combined.
  • One available player must be a goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or who is a restricted free agent having received a qualifying offer from his team.
  • Players who missed the final 60 games of the ’20-21 season or who have otherwise been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury cannot be exposed in the draft without league approval.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Protected:
Toews
Kane
DeBrincat
Strome (if he stays)
Nylander
Keith
Seabrook (because we have to)
Murphy
One of Maatta/Carlsson

If I'm not mistaken, this would leave Carpenter, Kampf, De Haan, 1 of Maatta/Carlsson, and the goalies as the likely players to be picked up.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Current roster

Go 7-3-1

Protect

Toews (NMC)
Kane (NMC)
Cat
Kubalik
Strome
Nylander
Saad (pending extension)

Keith (NMC)
Murphy
Seabrook (NMC)

Crawford (pending extension)

Expose

Kampf
Carpenter
Highmore
Shaw (If healthy)
Caggiula (If extended)

De Hann
Maatta
Koekkoek
Carlsson (would hate to lose)

Delia & Lankinen

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Current roster

Go 7-3-1

Protect

Toews (NMC)
Kane (NMC)
Cat
Kubalik
Strome
Nylander
Saad (pending extension)

Keith (NMC)
Murphy
Seabrook (NMC)

Crawford (pending extension)

Expose

Kampf
Carpenter
Highmore
Shaw (If healthy)
Caggiula (If extended)

De Hann
Maatta
Koekkoek
Carlsson (would hate to lose)

Delia & Lankinen
Maatta is gone this fall.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Barring him coming back from his surgeries as his former self, I hate that seabs is once again going to hurt the blackhawks. I'd easily rather keep koekkoek, maatta, or de Haan over him.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Probably Caggiula as well. I hope they can find the room to bring back Koekkoek, but 4K might go to arbitration and if he does, the Hawks will probably going to have to let him walk.
Losing cagguila would make me sad. He does so many things I like, and I know he recently said he'd love to finish his career with the hawks. I guess even if they re-sign him, he could be taken by Seattle though. God damn expansion!

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I would give them Nylander as a sweetener to take Seabs. More if necessary.

Agreed on Seabs tho. West Coast guy will see opportunities for playing time on this expansion team

I just don't think they would take Seabrook. He would still have three years on his contract and at almost $7 million? It would require a haul the Hawks wouldn't pay. Vegas quickly needed the cap space after the expansion.

Why would Seattle put themselves in cap hell with the Seabrook contract? They may want to sign free agents. And to boot Seabrook is probably not even an NHL player by that point.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Okay...so looking at it the Must-protects are Toews, Kane, Keith, & Seabrook. I'm going to operate under the assumption that they don't waive.

Lankinen and Delia right now meet the Goalie exposure requirement--I'd probably expose Delia.

Maata meets the D exposure requirement, Murphy is close, followed by 4K and DeHaan. The rest have 40 games needed to meet exposure requirements. I would probably expose 4K and DeHaan--DeHaan for cap reasons, and 4k since he's a bottom-pair. I'd want to keep Murph. Maata is a take-it-or-leave-it guys but I liked how he played in the playoffs.

Caprenter and Debrincat right now meet the exposure requirements. I'm torn on Carpenter, He is bottom pair but on the pother hand he brought heart. Debrincat should live and die based on his play next season but if I had to make the decision right now, it would be expose.

Given that none of our D youth are exposed, I'd go 7/3/1:

Toews/Kane/Saad/Caligula are my definities. Debrincat/Strome/Nylander depend on their play next season--if it's Meh. then expose them. I would also consider Kampf, Highmore, & Carpenter pending their play next year if Debincat, Strome, or Nylander fail to live up to expectation.
Keith/Seabrook/Murphy. I think everyone else is someone we can risk moving (and this is under the assumption that none of the NMC's waive)
Goaltender is wait-and-see. If we resign Crawford it will depend on whether or not the succession plan is working whether to keep or expose him--i.e. if we have someone who looks ready to take over the crease expose him--if not protect him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hopefully Seabrook is bought out or traded by the time the protection picks need to be made...Unless he's ready to be a #7 and mentor Mitchell and Boqvist next year then his time is up in Chicago...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad