2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
After giving the JQ pick more thought, the Saad deal really pissed me off. We retain $ on Saad, and 1 year later the guy we get back is so worthless that an expansion team doesn't want him for free? WTF from a pro scouting perspective?

sheesh thats bad when you put it like that...seattle rather take on a beer leaguer thats a ufa right now

Crow

May 19, 2014
After giving the JQ pick more thought, the Saad deal really pissed me off. We retain $ on Saad, and 1 year later the guy we get back is so worthless that an expansion team doesn't want him for free? WTF from a pro scouting perspective?
That’s because he is an RFA who apparently wants top dollar. And what does it matter? Saad is a UFA

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Big Z "isn't for free". He's an RFA with arb rights. The Kraken were more comfortable giving a possibly somewhat more finished product (?) in Oleksiak (a UFA) the money that Big Z may have gotten in arb, so the Kraken passed. Totals at NHL level for Oleksiak and Big Z through age 26 season:

Big Z 411 23 60 83 419 -9
JO 244 15 33 48 214 -5

Totals over last two seasons

Big Z 119 5 16 21 101 +7
JO 125 9 15 24 76 -9

Adv CF oZS dZS

Big Z 46.6 41.9 58.1
40.6 35.8 64.2

JO 51.3 47.1 52.9
49.7 46.1 53.9

Note the "fireman" role Big Z was given by Hawks (zone starts), and the closer to balanced starts JO got with the Stars.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Hawks pro scouting has been terrible forever

Reactions: scorehawks

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Hawks pro scouting has been terrible forever
The Kraken scouting sucks because after further review an unappreciated aspect of Big Z's game was how good he was at bailing out the Hawks in their own zone with their shitty face off stats. Can't hold his o stats against him because the Hawks didn't give him the opportunity.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Kraken had some puzzling picks

Count me in as someone who would love Dunn. Even Soucy or Lauzon.

Maybe they would have interest in Strome for one of those

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
They did draft seven double digit goal scorers from last season...

Gourde, Donskoi, McCann, Eberle, Jarnkrok, Appleton and Blackwell

Giordano, Larsson, Oleksiak, Dunn, Soucy and Lauzon is a nice starting six on defence

And I for one wanted Driedger to play with Lankinen here in Chicago

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Big Z "isn't for free". He's an RFA with arb rights. The Kraken were more comfortable giving a possibly somewhat more finished product (?) in Oleksiak (a UFA) the money that Big Z may have gotten in arb, so the Kraken passed. Totals at NHL level for Oleksiak and Big Z through age 26 season:

Big Z 411 23 60 83 419 -9
JO 244 15 33 48 214 -5

Totals over last two seasons

Big Z 119 5 16 21 101 +7
JO 125 9 15 24 76 -9

Adv CF oZS dZS

Big Z 46.6 41.9 58.1
40.6 35.8 64.2

JO 51.3 47.1 52.9
49.7 46.1 53.9

Note the "fireman" role Big Z was given by Hawks (zone starts), and the closer to balanced starts JO got with the Stars.

It might be a small sample size, but JO looked good when the Stars went to the finals last year.

In either case Francis would rather take nothing of value than Zadorov, a year after we moved a valuable player and retained salary in the deal to obtain him. This just proves what we thought - that was a bad deaL

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Why are people complaining about the Hawks not losing a good enough player?

Zadorov's contract is an issue but it's not a huge problem.

The Hawks can sign him, trade his rights or if neither of those work let him walk, leaving no cap problems.

If they want to move de Haan, they can especially if they retain a bit. He is exactly the kind of depth dman teams like and only has one year left, so the contract is very movable. If they keep him to start the season I guarantee de Haan will be easily moved for assets at the trade deadline especially with salary retained which isn't a problem in season due to ltir.

They were able to move Keith before the expansion draft opening up an extra spot and allowing them to protect two young dmen under contract. I still can't believe Edmonton did this deal before the draft.

They are in a position to choose whatever option works best for them.

Reactions: bwana63

TJBrocker

May 6, 2019
Not been following Hockey too long (3 seasons or so...), and was hoping for a little more intrigue. Sounds like GMs learned from past mistakes with Vegas, and were prepared to let the guys go who they exposed. Seattle for some reason didn't seem to pick the best value out there?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I'm wondering if the Kraken passing on Big Z will be reflect on his contract hearing...could be a benefit to the Hawks. All in all, looks like they got some decent folks for 2 lines and some grinders for 2 lines----their D is better than the Hawks, that's for sure.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Big Z plays the position that had the most options for Seattle in the expansion draft....LD. Seattle currently has roster 6 legit NHL level LD. They also took 3 more that are AHL/NHL tweeners. Consider Giordano was a no brainer given what Calgary had to offer and that they decided to commit financially to Oleksiak pretty significantly...I completely understand why Z and his contract demands were of little interest to the Kraken. The really question is while Quinville over Gaudette or even Carpenter other then the expansion draft is also there to stock the AHL team?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'm pretty sure Francis saw the Blackhawks exposed list and said "no thanks."
Pick JQ and just let him go unsigned to UFA next week?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
That’s because he is an RFA who apparently wants top dollar. And what does it matter? Saad is a UFA
It's better to just whine as if FA status and cap hits don't mean anything.

We're a decade and half into the cap era, stop ignoring real dollars and cap hits folks...and he's still probably asking for $25 million of Rocky's money in some structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad