2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
AZ is only $10m from the floor next year with only 10 guys on their roster. They will have no problem getting to the floor. There are no cap floor teams anymore.

ah, didn't realize that but guess it makes sense with all the contracts they handed out to their core players in recent years

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
High probability it'll be either Carlsson or de Haan. While I like both, neither will be a loss of much consequence. Far different than where we sat before Seabs' announcement.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Big thing is if it's De Haan, we get his $4.5m off the books and don't have to make a tough decision next year of whether we sit him (a veteran) in favor of a kid like Beaudin. In that respect, I'd hope it's De Haan.

But losing either of him or Carlsson will be minimal. Some teams will have it a lot worse.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Blackhawk losses in past expansion drafts

2017...Trevor van Riemsdyk,d, VEG
2000...Radim Bicanek,d, CBS and Jeff Daw,f, MIN
1999...Sylvain Cloutier,f, ATL
1998...Greg Johnson,f, NAS
1993...Stu Grimson,f, ANA and Milan Tichy,d, FLA
1992...Mike Peluso,f, OTT and Dan Vincelette, f, TB
1991...Bob McGill,d, SJ

2021...??? SEA

I still think Seabrook is going to the Kraken, I believe for a non factor prospect that Seattle drafts from another NHL team...the Kraken will draft someone like Madison Bowey or John Quenneville and receive Wyatt Kaiser,d, currently at U of Minn. Duluth along with taking Seabs contract for said non factor prospect and maybe a 7th rounder...Norm MacIver(a Duluth boy) is asst.GM in Seattle now and that'll be the Xfactor in this deal, Kaiser while being a good prospect is in line behind guys like Mitchell Beaudin Kalynuk Regula and Vlasic so I think clearing cap space would equal Kaisers loss

Last edited:

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Seattle drafts Madison Bowey from Chicago

Chicago trades Brent Seabrook and rights to Wyatt Kaiser to Seattle for 'insert minor leaguer here' and 2021 7th rounder

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

1991...Bob McGill,d, SJ

2021...??? SEA

I still think Seabrook is going to the Kraken, I believe for a non factor prospect that Seattle drafts from another NHL team...the Kraken will draft someone like Madison Bowey or John Quenneville and receive Wyatt Kaiser,d, currently at U of Minn. Duluth along with taking Seabs contract for said non factor prospect and maybe a 7th rounder...Norm MacIver(a Duluth boy) is asst.GM in Seattle now and that'll be the Xfactor in this deal, Kaiser while being a good prospect is in line behind guys like Mitchell Beaudin Kalynuk Regula and Vlasic so I think clearing cap space would equal Kaisers loss

Why would Seattle want the Seabrook contract? It's three years long and almost $7M AAV. That's a really long time to play cap gymnastics with a big contract if you don't have to. They can get the quality of prospect you're talking about simply by picking and then flipping players to other teams. TVR and a 7th got Vegas a 2nd. Kaiser was picked in the 3rd.

Reactions: bwana63

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Seattle drafts Madison Bowey from Chicago

Chicago trades Brent Seabrook and rights to Wyatt Kaiser to Seattle for 'insert minor leaguer here' and 2021 7th rounder
1) Only Kaiser is far too little for Seabrooks contract
2) There will be so damn good players available that they don't need big contracts to get over cap floor

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

1991...Bob McGill,d, SJ

2021...??? SEA

Seattle's gonna swallow Seabs' contract for Kaiser? Put down the pipe, man!

Reactions: SuterHaglshev

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's looking like these guys will be protected:

7 Fs
Toews
Kane
Debrincat
Strome
Kampf
Hagel
Nylander

3D
Keith
Murphy
Zadorov

1G
Lankinen

Exposed:
Carpenter
Shaw
Wallmark
Highmore
DeHaan
Carlsson
Bowey
Subban
Delia

UFA
Janmark
Soderberg
Smith
Piri
Quenneville

Reactions: pvr and ClydeLee

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019

7 Fs
Toews
Kane
Debrincat
Strome
Kampf
Hagel
Nylander

3D
Keith
Murphy
Zadorov

1G
Lankinen

Exposed:
Carpenter
Shaw
Wallmark
Highmore
DeHaan
Carlsson
Bowey
Subban
Delia

UFA
Janmark
Soderberg
Smith
Piri
Quenneville
1) I would try to trade Strome and Nylander for roster player, if not would protect Carpenter over Nylander.
2) No way as Kraken I would take CDH

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
1) I would try to trade Strome and Nylander for roster player, if not would protect Carpenter over Nylander.
2) No way as Kraken I would take CDH
I wouldn't, Carpenter is looking slower and slower, and we have depth players in spades at the moment.
I'd rather keep the potential of Nylander over slow Carpenter, and I'm no fan of Nylander.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

7 Fs
Toews
Kane
Debrincat
Strome
Kampf
Hagel
Nylander

3D
Keith
Murphy
Zadorov

1G
Lankinen

Exposed:
Carpenter
Shaw
Wallmark
Highmore
DeHaan
Carlsson
Bowey
Subban
Delia

UFA
Janmark
Soderberg
Smith
Piri
Quenneville

If I was a betting man, this would be my bet.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

7 Fs
Toews
Kane
Debrincat
Strome
Kampf
Hagel
Nylander

3D
Keith
Murphy
Zadorov

1G
Lankinen

Exposed:
Carpenter
Shaw
Wallmark
Highmore
DeHaan
Carlsson
Bowey
Subban
Delia

UFA
Janmark
Soderberg
Smith
Piri
Quenneville
that looks bang on to me

Reactions: Pez68

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What Hawkaholic put seems to me what the protection as of now will be

So what is Seattle going to take? I think Carpenter may be the best looking option if they don't want bad cap. I guess they could like Stillman still but he may be considered nothing.

DeHaan if he isn't traded, has they 1 year left and maybe they want him on reputation still. Not a lot of promise to choose.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

7 Fs
Toews
Kane
Debrincat
Strome
Kampf
Hagel
Nylander

3D
Keith
Murphy
Zadorov

1G
Lankinen

Exposed:
Carpenter
Shaw
Wallmark
Highmore
DeHaan
Carlsson
Bowey
Subban
Delia

UFA
Janmark
Soderberg
Smith
Piri
Quenneville

does a guy starting/ending the year on LTIR effect anything? Like Shaw might be done, seabrook isn’t officially retired so where does he factor in?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
does a guy starting/ending the year on LTIR effect anything? Like Shaw might be done, seabrook isn’t officially retired so where does he factor in?
The league evaluates LTIR cases and basically has put out guys that are LTIRetired are exempt and don't need to be protected. That's Seabs situation now and I'm sure why they had the whole announcing it.

Shaw could be taken but why. Because I'm sure he still wants to come back but really should retire.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The league evaluates LTIR cases and basically has put out guys that are LTIRetired are exempt and don't need to be protected. That's Seabs situation now and I'm sure why they had the whole announcing it.

Shaw could be taken but why. Because I'm sure he still wants to come back but really should retire.

i really hope Shaw never plays again. He needs to think about his future

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Strome, Nylander, Hagel, Borgstrom

Keith, Seabrook, Murphy or Zadorov

Lankinen

That's what the protection list is looking like right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad