2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is what he said when being healthy scratched the first time.

"I feel like I still got a lot to offer in this league and still be a good player for somebody."

And now he’s had a few procedures done that I would imagine have him thinking he’s probably healthier than he’s been in years. For a prideful guy like him, I doubt he thinks he’s anywhere near as awful as the rest of us do.

Well, that's why I said there are only two reasons not to waive his NMC. Delusion and spite.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well, that's why I said there are only two reasons not to waive his NMC. Delusion and spite.

I’d say delusion and not wanting to relocate his family at this stage of his career are why he won’t waive, if he’s even asked to. And I won’t be mad at him one bit.

I’ll continue to scratch my head to how in the world could anyone, especially the GM of an NHL team, have thought this deal was reasonable. It’s incomprehensible.

Reactions: Pertti

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’d say delusion and not wanting to relocate his family at this stage of his career are why he won’t waive, if he’s even asked to.

Lol. Again, how does this have anything to do with relocating his family? Even if he's delusional about his abilities, Seattle isn't taking him because of his cap hit. There is zero risk of that happening. This should be very easy to explain to him.

Hopefully someone will attempt to sit down and have a conversation with Seabs about all of this.

They will absolutely ask him to waive. I'd put money on it. Especially after this season.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Lol. Again, how does this have anything to do with relocating his family? Even if he's delusional about his abilities, Seattle isn't taking him because of his cap hit. There is zero risk of that happening. This should be very easy to explain to him.

Hopefully someone will attempt to sit down and have a conversation with Seabs about all of this.

They will absolutely ask him to waive. I'd put money on it. Especially after this season.

Because like we agreed, he’s probably pretty delusional regarding his on ice performance and thinks he still has a lot to give.... so why even risk it? Who is to say Bowman doesn’t screw him over and attach some assets with him after the fact?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It doesnt do anything for him.

If he comes to the conclusion he is bad and will be regularly sratched, not being deluded, what is in it for him still?

Its not spiteful to say, why should I do this if it doesn't help me? Again there has to be an actual given reason FOR him to say yes.

What is it? If he wants to play he still can't be sent to thr AHL 1 more year. After it his NMC becomes a NTC. Even if he sees he is bad, he still wants to play and saying no gives him a better chance to play. Its not spiteful if he wants to keep playing in the NHL.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It doesnt do anything for him.

If he comes to the conclusion he is bad and will be regularly sratched, not being deluded, what is in it for him still?

Its not spiteful to say, why should I do this if it doesn't help me? Again there has to be an actual given reason FOR him to say yes.

What is it? If he wants to play he still can't be sent to thr AHL 1 more year. After it his NMC becomes a NTC. Even if he sees he is bad, he still wants to play and saying no gives him a better chance to play. Its not spiteful if he wants to keep playing in the NHL.

It helps the TEAM. Which, last I checked, he's still a member of?? It's absolutely spiteful to not waive your NMC and cost your team another defender, if you're being honest about your abilities. This scenario is pretty cut and dry. It's not rocket science. Everyone in the league knows Seattle isn't selecting him if he's exposed. If he can't understand that, f*** him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It helps the TEAM. Which, last I checked, he's still a member of?? It's absolutely spiteful to not waive your NMC and cost your team another defender.
Execpt doing so has personal benefit still. You've never expressed anyway its good for him personally or his career.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Another point being missed here. You think the newer guys, who don't have the undying loyalty to Seabrook that the core does, won't be pissed off that they lose a good defender because he refuses to waive his NMC? Or realize where he's at in his career? It will absolutely happen. I guarantee it's talked about between teammates, outside the circle of his close friends.

The new guys want to win and if a player is preventing that from happening, they will resent him. These guys are super competitive and likely don't give a f*** about Seabrook's contributions in the past, if he's hurting the team now.

Reactions: Pertti

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If hes that bad he will only be there 1 more year then after he could be waived to the AHL and Murphy or CDH would probably only be the yea not be kept. If anything likely they should be traded after saved to get value for a future impact because it would be a miracle for it to matter for the 21-22 season.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If hes that bad he will only be there 1 more year then after he could be waived to the AHL and Murphy or CDH would probably only be the yea not be kept. If anything likely they should be traded after saved to get value for a future impact because it would be a miracle for it to matter for the 21-22 season.

Lol. Did you seriously just suggest Seabrook would be sent to the AHL in 2022?

Murphy is plenty young enough to be a part of this team, going forward. It would be a shame to lose him, and he could be a big help in developing the young defenders here. It's not a hole easily filled.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Lol. Did you seriously just suggest Seabrook would be sent to the AHL in 2022?

Murphy is plenty young enough to be a part of this team, going forward. It would be a shame to lose him, and he could be a big help in developing the young defenders here. It's not a hole easily filled.
Yes that's when Seabs, if he still wants it keep player can be waived with his NMC weakening. You can't waive a player with a NMC.

My point is how long does keeping Murphy help you?? Any extension of Murphy will be signing him post 30. Thats exactly when they traded Hjalmarsson instead of extending him and track records of more Defensive oriented guys breaking down in the 30s is common. He'd probably command more than 4mil, it just wouldnt be worth it unless you got a favorable short deal.

This loss would really only be for some of the 21-22 season and what value you aren't getting from trading him. Its not a loss easily filled, yet either way it may be a loss you wind up having.

Reactions: Crow

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Seabs being allowed to give a shot to play again should be attached to him waiving his NMC for it.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Seabs being allowed to give a shot to play again should be attached to him waiving his NMC for it.

Highly doubt that the Hawks are going to attach a quid pro quo to waiving.

Seattle isn't going to select Seabs. Hawks know it, you know it, I know it and Seabs knows it. Hawks have done right by Seabs, so I'm expecting him to help the team out here. Of course, he may not, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't waive.

Reactions: Pez68

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Highly doubt that the Hawks are going to attach a quid pro quo to waiving.

Seattle isn't going to select Seabs. Hawks know it, you know it, I know it and Seabs knows it. Hawks have done right by Seabs, so I'm expecting him to help the team out here. Of course, he may not, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't waive.

Yeah you can't circumvent the players' collective agreement like that. The association would have a big problem with an ultimatum like that.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Aight, so assuming Seabrook waives his NMC

D: Keith, Murphy, Zadorov

F: Kane, Toews, Strome, DeBrincat, Hagel, Kampf, Nylander

G: Lankinen

Notably left exposed: Shaw, De Haan, Highmore, Carpenter, Carlsson and Subban

Who Seattle picks: Shaw probably but maybe De Haan or Carlsson

I would protect Shaw normally but if we're a youth movement, I can see how they choose the young guys with RFA years over Shaw who is a UFA after next year. Shaw would bring leadership to the Seattle group and really help them come together. There's usually more good d-men than forwards available during an expansion draft but if we lose De Haan or Carlsson, it's not the end of the world.

Janmark is a UFA so the Hawks could simply re-sign after the draft if they want to.

Why protect Hagel, Kampf or Nylander?

Hagel and Kampf are excellent bottom six pieces. I know people complain about Kampf, but a defensively solid 4C who is good at the dot and has a reasonable contract is an important piece for winning team. If Shaw cost less and was younger, I would keep him over Kampf but he doesn't. Nylander's upside is so high you have to give him a chance to develop. If it works out, he's a solid top six piece but worse case he can certainly play in the bottom six and put up some points. He's an NHL player at minimum.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Aight, so assuming Seabrook waives his NMC

D: Keith, Murphy, Zadorov

F: Kane, Toews, Strome, DeBrincat, Hagel, Kampf, Nylander

G: Lankinen

Notably left exposed: Shaw, De Haan, Highmore, Carpenter, Carlsson and Subban

Who Seattle picks: Shaw probably but maybe De Haan or Carlsson

I would protect Shaw normally but if we're a youth movement, I can see how they choose the young guys with RFA years over Shaw who is a UFA after next year. Shaw would bring leadership to the Seattle group and really help them come together. There's usually more good d-men than forwards available during an expansion draft but if we lose De Haan or Carlsson, it's not the end of the world.

Janmark is a UFA so the Hawks could simply re-sign after the draft if they want to.

Why protect Hagel, Kampf or Nylander?

Hagel and Kampf are excellent bottom six pieces. I know people complain about Kampf, but a defensively solid 4C who is good at the dot and has a reasonable contract is an important piece for winning team. If Shaw cost less and was younger, I would keep him over Kampf but he doesn't. Nylander's upside is so high you have to give him a chance to develop. If it works out, he's a solid top six piece but worse case he can certainly play in the bottom six and put up some points. He's an NHL player at minimum.
Like your list add Bowey to exposed dmen

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Like your list add Bowey to exposed dmen

I didn't add him because I don't think he'll be picked. He'll probably be used to meet exposure requirements. Others that may be picked that are fringe players at this point are Lindholm, Quenneville, Morrison and Wallmark. All RFAs.

Now, if De Haan and Shaw are traded at the deadline it would be a different story. But even then, I would see Seattle taking Carpenter before Bowey unless they slot him in for the A.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I didn't add him because I don't think he'll be picked. He'll probably be used to meet exposure requirements. Others that may be picked that are fringe players at this point are Lindholm, Quenneville, Morrison and Wallmark. All RFAs.

Now, if De Haan and Shaw are traded at the deadline it would be a different story. But even then, I would see Seattle taking Carpenter before Bowey unless they slot him in for the A.
I agree they aren’t taking him. Was just saying put him up there for folks who still get confused on whose eligible

Reactions: Brightwing

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Seabrook does waive then the Hawks can get through relatively unscathed. They aren’t really exposing great talent.
They could be in a position to trade an asset for an established younger player. Like a draft pick for a guy who may have to be exposed that the team exposing him doesnt want to lose him for nothing.

Then the Hawks replace a guy like Nylander, Or Hagel, or Carpenter, whoever that final keeper spot is for, with the acquired player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00