2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
That is a possibility. Playing devil's advocate though: Do you think that the handling of Saad's initial 6M deal+trade to Columbus and Panarin's 6M deal and trade to Columbus might make Seabs reluctant to trust the 'hawks if that was the case?

Doubt it, but who knows? At the end of the day, everyone knows the team's welfare >>> players' welfare. That said, I really don't see the aforementioned trades as breaching agreements. The Hawk's have a very good rep because they keep their end of the bargain. That's why they've killed it in the Euro FA market.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
What are your updated expansion draft predictions?

Remember, each team can protect 7F/3D/1G or 8 skaters and 1G

In additon they must expose 2F and 1D who have played 40 games in the past NHL seasons or 70 games in the past two seasons and be signed in 2021-22. Interestingly only Kampf and Carpenter meet that requirement other than Toews and Kane who must be protected. No d men meet that requirment other than Keith who must be protected. Murphy needs 3 games next season and De Haan needs 32.

My current predictons below.

Protect: Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Hagel, Keith, Zadorov, Carlsson, Murphy; Delia

Expose: Two of Carpenter, Kampf, Wallmark and Janmark with the latter two extended to be eligible; De Haan (must play 32 games to be eligible); Subban

Predictions: Nylander traded for picks or prospects. Trade Strome prior to expansion. Or trade with Kraken for picks to make Strome or Nylander available. Seabrook will waive or be ineligible due to LTIR.

Eligible to be picked by Kraken but may not meet exposure rules for games played: Shaw, Quenneville, Seeler, Highmore.

Expansion draft exempt: Kubalik, Dach, Boqvist, Mitchell, Suter, Kurashev, Beaudin

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
What are your updated expansion draft predictions?

Remember, each team can protect 7F/3D/1G or 8 skaters and 1G

In additon they must expose 2F and 1D who have played 40 games in the past NHL seasons or 70 games in the past two seasons and be signed in 2021-22. Interestingly only Kampf and Carpenter meet that requirement other than Toews and Kane who must be protected. No d men meet that requirment other than Keith who must be protected. Murphy needs 3 games next season and De Haan needs 32.

My current predictons below.

Protect: Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Hagel, Keith, Zadorov, Carlsson, Murphy; Delia

Expose: Two of Carpenter, Kampf, Wallmark and Janmark with the latter two extended to be eligible; De Haan (must play 32 games to be eligible); Subban

Predictions: Nylander traded for picks or prospects. Trade Strome prior to expansion. Or trade with Kraken for picks to make Strome or Nylander available. Seabrook will waive or be ineligible due to LTIR.

Eligible to be picked by Kraken but may not meet exposure rules for games played: Shaw, Quenneville, Seeler, Highmore.

Expansion draft exempt: Kubalik, Dach, Boqvist, Mitchell, Suter, Kurashev, Beaudin

Wallmark is a rfa next year so he is a additional skater to expose.

Reactions: Brightwing

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Prediction hawks trade strome, Nylander, Beaudin to the kraken to take seabrook.

I don't think it happens. Look at how fast Vegas hit the cap and with low cap increases projected, I don't see them taking on that many Seabrook years. Three years of nearly $7 million in dead cap space? No way.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Shaw and CdH make absolutely no sense unless we are adding picks or something.
if CDH has a healthy strong year he could be picked. He has 1 year just as Murphy has 1 year left. If say Murphy is hurt too that helps lean that way and if say Carlsson does nothing to show worthiness.

I think it's simple, in a normal year nothing drastic happens. Murphy makes 100% the most sense. If x little swapping of things around happen, it could go a couple other ways. In the crazy year though, that is possible that these other things do happen.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
if CDH has a healthy strong year he could be picked. He has 1 year just as Murphy has 1 year left. If say Murphy is hurt too that helps lean that way and if say Carlsson does nothing to show worthiness.

I think it's simple, in a normal year nothing drastic happens. Murphy makes 100% the most sense. If x little swapping of things around happen, it could go a couple other ways. In the crazy year though, that is possible that these other things do happen.

If it comes they expose Murphy then they should find a trade partner for him and get something decent for him.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Currently only Keith and Zadorov meet the requirements to be exposed and of course Keith won't be because of his NMC, unless he waives. Teams must expose at least one defenseman that has played 40 NHL games this season or 70 in the past two. Murphy needs three games to qualify but de Haan needs 32. With a shortened season, if de Haan misses a significant amount of time, they'll have to expose Murphy. Or play Seeler, Lindholm or Carlsson at least 40 games so they can qualify to be exposed.

There's always an outside chance Keith will waive because he wants to be closer to home (I think his son lives in BC full time) but so far he has indicated he wants to stay a Hawk. Seabrook would have to play 38 games AND waive to meet the exposure criteria.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Latest version of the Athletic's mock draft has Seattle picking Murphy and assumes Keith, Seabrook and Zadorov are protected. See below for their comments. I would think the Hawks would rather trade Murphy than expose him, but as mentioned in my previous comments they are in a pickle where they need to make sure a defenseman they expose plays 40 games this year or 70 games between last year and this year. That leaves Carlsson, Seeler, DeHaan and Lindholm as options but they would have to play 32 games (DeHaan) or 40 games to qualify. If you suddenly see Lindholm or Seeler playing a lot of games for the Hawks, this is why. Otherwise, Murphy would be a no-brainer pick for Seattle. How do you guys feel about losing him in the expansion?

Chicago’s protected list could shift if the Blackhawks can convince Brent Seabrook to waive his no-move clause. Seabrook’s age, injury history and contract (three more years at $6.875 million annually when Seattle makes its choices) make him singularly unappealing to the Kraken. If Seabrook were to waive, then the Blackhawks could protect either Connor Murphy or Lucas Carlsson in his place. It’s also distinctly possible that the Blackhawks could ask Seabrook to waive and still decide to go with an 8-1 protection model, enabling them to protect both Murphy and Carlsson and leaving a decent forward available, likely either Strome or Nylander. From this list, I’ll opt for Murphy, who is 27 and signed for this year and next at $3.85 million AAV, which means he will be on an expiring contract at Seattle’s first trade deadline and thus could potentially be dangled as a rental if the Kraken have developed better defensive options.
The pick: Connor Murphy

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There's no way that standard of 70-40 is still that. There's going to be adjustment to the season so it will probably be just under half the size of the season. It's 56? Games so 28 would be half. Maybe they'll make it 26.

What total between the years change will be settled too i don't know. But holding to those numbers like that's going to happen makes no sense. That could screw up plenty healthy enough players from counting as eligible.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
There's no way that standard of 70-40 is still that. There's going to be adjustment to the season so it will probably be just under half the size of the season. It's 56? Games so 28 would be half. Maybe they'll make it 26.

What total between the years change will be settled too i don't know. But holding to those numbers like that's going to happen makes no sense. That could screw up plenty healthy enough players from counting as eligible.

It doesn't really matter for the Hawks as the only player that would impact on D is De Haan needing fewer games. You would still have to play one of the other guys a fair bit. Unless the plan is to expose De Haan.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It doesn't really matter for the Hawks as the only player that would impact on D is De Haan needing fewer games. You would still have to play one of the other guys a fair bit. Unless the plan is to expose De Haan.

I imagine he is the easy d man to expose out of everyone else

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I imagine he is the easy d man to expose out of everyone else

I would think so if he stays healthy enough to meet the games played requirement. The other option, of course, is to trade for someone at the trade deadline that they could expose.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Yes they can, that's why I linked to the article, because it states that if Phaneuf had waived he could have been exposed.
Somehow there's a joke in that line that involves Phaneuf, Sean Avery, and Elisha Cuthbert. I just can't put it together.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
In his mailbag, Lazarus responded to a question about whether Seabrook could be asked to waive with the agreement that Hawks don't incentivize taking him, freeing up a spot. Here's the answer:

Now, you’re right that Seattle would never take Seabrook without significant sweeteners, so exposing him would be “safe.” And just to clarify, a player CAN waive his NMC for the expansion draft and only the expansion draft, so there would be no long-term risk for Seabrook. He’d still retain his NMC once the expansion draft was complete. But it’s one thing to do that on paper, it’s another thing to do that in real life. Approaching Seabrook and asking him to waive his no-movement clause — even for this one isolated circumstance — opens up something of a can of worms. It’d basically be Stan Bowman going up to a very proud guy, a very important piece of Blackhawks history, and a very significant person in the Blackhawks dressing room and saying, “Look, nobody in their right mind would take you, so do us a solid.”

Can Bowman be that ruthless? The Corey Crawford decision suggests he’s willing to be a little more cold-blooded than he’s been in the past. Asking Seabrook to waive his NMC to protect Murphy would be a prudent course of action. However, I’m not sure it’s one the Blackhawks are willing to take. As with everything relating to Seabrook and his contract, there are a lot of eggshells to be walked on.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Ideally you trade one if their both would be eligsble... I dont think it'll be easy. It wasn't last time and that's how teams like Anaheim and Minny were trapped.

Again you have to see these teams as anticipating their own expansion draft. Who is fine with open space and need on D that doesn't have ones it wants to save? Or will there really be a contender who sees a Defensive D as a need to add? ...Toronto probably should but who knows. And the quarantine to cross the border may limit trade partner options.

Reactions: Brightwing

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Stan better ask Seabrook to waive his NMC. I believe he will. Whether Seabrook agrees or not may change his legacy as a Blackhawk. If he was smart, he'd agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->