2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A lot of us here were consistent in posting that it made no sense for Seattle to take Domi. (Unless you were referring to the main boards, which were wildly wrong for the most part.)

Definitely the main boards!

I was skeptical about Domi's value to Seattle as well.

Reactions: DJA

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2021-7-21_12-41-33.png

The rumored team at this point (a few are waiting confirmation). All UFAs have deals in place in order to be selected.

Reactions: DJA

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
So it looks like to me that Seattle will have to active in free agency or trades to get to the floor? I would assume trades to gather more picks?

Reactions: Fro

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yeah, the only strategy I'm discerning is that Francis wants to maximize his cap space coming out of the Expansion Draft. They could have gone the Vegas route but they're going to be a cap floor team at the end of today (pending any deals to be announced).

Reactions: Monk and LJ7201

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
There's no way they could've been Vegas 2.0 so they're gonna get their studs thru trades and FA. They did the right thing by taking good cheap contracts only.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, the only strategy I'm discerning is that Francis wants to maximize his cap space coming out of the Expansion Draft. They could have gone the Vegas route but they're going to be a cap floor team at the end of today (pending any deals to be announced).

My guess is teams were way less proactive this time around and hoping Seattle would take their pricey players without incentive, and that just didn't happen.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So is Seattle tanking or is this some 5000 IQ chess moves that I can’t see

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So is Seattle tanking or is this some 5000 IQ chess moves that I can’t see

Don't think we have the full picture. Not a single "side deal" announced that I'm aware of. But if they come out of tonight with a bunch of cap space, they still have free agency to make some moves and they'll have the flexibility to do so.

Reactions: LJ7201

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Weird choice.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but nice to see Jarmo’s risk paid off as I believe Domi will have a minimum second round value come deadline time.

That said I thought they would take Domi and I’m honestly not sure what Francis’s strategy is here given the leaked selections so far.

I keep hearing cap space is valuable but I’ve also heard that plenty of times from another very familiar GM and haven’t seen any substantial actions/benefits behind it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
More I have looked at capfriendly.com and the expansion draft on there, I have a feeling Bayreuther may be the pick...they need 6 or so minor league eligible players...

Domi and his shoulder surgery has to be a caution, there are plenty of players available better than Kukan and Stenlund....
Psychic powers confirmed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad