2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Is there a tread for this already ? if so delete or merge.

With kukan singing we are getting close to having to talk about this.

Like before need 2F 1D 1G to be eligible(need 70g this and next year or 40 next year) and unprotected and 7/3/1 or 8/1 can be protected.

I really think the team should be going the 7/3/1 road.

Likely eligible
Forward
unlikely eligible
Forward
Likely eligible
Defense
unlikely eligible
Defense
eligible
Goalie
Atkinson(26)MacInnis(40)Jones(14)Carlsson(40)Korpisalo
Nyquist(3)Stenlund(40)Werenski(10)Collins(40)Kivlenieks
Wennberg(16)Dano(40)Gavrikov(4)Prapavessis(40)
Jenner(3)Fortier(40)Nutivaara(35)Somerby(40)
Bjorkstrand(21)Matteau(40)Harrington(33)
Anderson(40)Bittner(40)Kukan(37)
Dubois(3)Thurkauf(40)
Robinson(23)Scott(40)
Shore(28)Sherwood(40)
Gerbe(40)
Sedlak(40)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
()=game needed for the required exposed

Goalie is easy, protect Korpi leave Kiv or if he doesn't resign this summer sign a random Goalie.

At D, Jones, Z and Gav are lock and 1 of the 3 others will reach eligibility at least.
Wouldn't mind protecting one of Nuti, Kuks, Carls if they overperform next year but that would need to leave 3 more F unprotected which is unlikely to be worth it.
Harry, Collins, Prap, Somerby are unlikely to be worth protecting.

At F, Cam, Gus, Bjork, PLD are likely the 4 lock if they go 8 skaters path.
They would need to leave everyone else unprotected to protect one of the other D.
If they go the likely 7/3 path it would depends on next year performance Andy, Bone, Stenlund are my picks but Robi, Mac, Woodie could have a great season and be worthy over the other 3.
That would leave Wennberg and one of Robi/Andy/Bone as elligible.
Dano, Fortier, Bittner, Thurkauf, Scott, Gerbe, Sedlak are unlikely to be worth protecting.
no idea about shore yet.

I know the roster will change this summer but it's still a good overlook

UFA with or without NMC doesn't have to be protected

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Cam Atkinson is not a lock in my opinion. If he doesn’t perform the rest of this year and next year, he should not be protected. He will be 32 by the time of the draft making $6m.

I also feel Wennberg might be gone this off season one way or another

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Cam Atkinson is not a lock in my opinion. If he doesn’t perform the rest of this year and next year, he should not be protected. He will be 32 by the time of the draft making $6m.

who would be your 4th forward as of right now ? other than if someone has a breakout season. I don't think the same Robi as this year or the same Andy is a lock over Cam.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Don't UFA that summer still count as part off our team (Foligno)?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
they can be signed early but if Foligno doesn't agree it doesn't matter.
also no they don't count as the 4 player needed to be left available.
also no he doesn't have to be protected before of his NMC.

if one of cbj ufa sign before the expansion draft with seattle, they won't be able to select another player.

Reactions: cslebn

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

don’t be absurd. 6 million for a 30 goal scorer is a steal.

Reactions: Fro

pled

Sep 7, 2009
That is if he remains a 30 goal scorer by end of 2021 season
6m for a 20g scorer isn't even bad. Zucc got 6m average till hes 36 and he didnt score 20 since 15-16.
and I still think that as of today Cam is better than Zucc.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
After perusing pled's chart as of today I am leaning to the 8/1 route. Cam, PLD, Nyqvist & Bjork plus 4 D. Now if Andy re-signs and plays lights out next year I'd probably switch my opinion but it wouldn't be a certainty.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They do. The draft takes place before free agency. Vegas actually did draft a few soon-to-be-UFAs, and three walked (Chris Thorburn, Connor Brickley, Jean-Francois Berube).

At the rate things are going, tho, I suspect Dubi would get an injury exemption.

Reactions: cslebn

pled

Sep 7, 2009
After perusing pled's chart as of today I am leaning to the 8/1 route. Cam, PLD, Nyqvist & Bjork plus 4 D. Now if Andy re-signs and plays lights out next year I'd probably switch my opinion but it wouldn't be a certainty.
yeah I think the last D/3F is highly dependent on their play next season but the top7 is clear to me.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I have confidence GMJK will do just like last time and make a great deal. I dont see us losing anything significant at all. Wild Bill never gets those 1st year vegas numbers here. We are a score as a group team not a teamnwith individual standouts. I see us moving 1 of our goalies likely Korpi and maybe a pick to guarantee its korpi like a 3rd. We have Elvis still and 2 blue chip prospects in net still.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So where do we stand on this after the Jones injury ? I think if we really want to understand this trade deadline, this thread is a vital part as to how Jarmo goes about his business. From my understanding, we are going to have to expose either one of Savard, Nutivaara, Murray , on defense ? Do we have to protect Gavrikov ?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So where do we stand on this after the Jones injury ? I think if we really want to understand this trade deadline, this thread is a vital part as to how Jarmo goes about his business. From my understanding, we are going to have to expose either one of Savard, Nutivaara, Murray , on defense ? Do we have to protect Gavrikov ?

We do have to use a protection spot on Gavrikov if we want to keep him, yes. Savard, if he's still around, could be a UFA on 7/1/2021.

The team does have to expose one, I believe, D man who meets the games played requirements and all that.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
How is Gavrikov need to be protected if hes a rookie ? He siged deal April 2019 for playoffs ?

His KHL days count as "professional" seasons because he was over 20. Per the CBA:

“A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more NHL games in a given NHL season. A player aged 20 or older … earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under a standard player contract in a given League Year.”

Also per the CBA:
“‘Professional Games’ includes the following: any NHL Games played, all minor league regular season and playoff games and any other professional games played, including but not limited to, games played in any European league or any other league outside North America, by a Player pursuant to his [standard player contract].”

If I have it right, Gavrikov will not fit the "less than two professional seasons" exemption, but Texier will? That's the convention wisdom, though Tex played 2 regular season games + 8 playoff games in the NHL last season at 19. So.....who knows?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
His KHL days count as "professional" seasons because he was over 20. Per the CBA:

Also per the CBA:

If I have it right, Gavrikov will not fit the "less than two professional seasons" exemption, but Texier will? That's the convention wisdom, though Tex played 2 regular season games + 8 playoff games in the NHL last season at 19. So.....who knows?
Wasnt Panarin Exempt ?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Murray and Savard are ufa, jarmo has to expose two of Nuti, Kuks, Harry

pled

Sep 7, 2009

Also per the CBA:

playoff game doesn't counts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad