2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
My guess is teams were way less proactive this time around and hoping Seattle would take their pricey players without incentive, and that just didn't happen.

Yep. It's pretty well established at this point that if you're going to eat a tough contract, you need to be compensated to do so. I think Seattle called a lot of bluffs with this draft. Saved cap space and can still be a player on that front, but showed they ain't going to do it for free even if the player may be useful or have flippable trade value.

Reactions: Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Alternative conspiracy theory - maybe Bettman went to Francis and friends and said "hey, Columbus did not come out well at all during the last expansion draft and they're really suffering right now. Go easy on them. OR ELSE."

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wow... every draft post I have seen from Kraken fans had Domi as the pick. Just another example of how (we fans) don't know much at all. Kukan and Gabe didn't excite them at all.. but Domi had them all talking.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't have been surprised if Seattle went with some early-mid-20s AHL sleeper. But Bayreuther is a UFA, they could have had him without selecting him, and they might not have him even after selecting him.

What it tells me is that they thought of Kukan and Stenlund as needless clutter. They have other plans for those roster spots and don't think they'll have ice time for either of those two.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I look at that roster so far and can’t help but think that they are built to be hard to play against and shut down other teams.

even without side deals I bet they could make the playoffs like that.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Sounds like Seattle's big splash will be in trades and UFA. Smart to hoard cap space. They have a solid back end but they'll need the money to fill their top 6

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I wouldn't have been surprised if Seattle went with some early-mid-20s AHL sleeper. But Bayreuther is a UFA, they could have had him without selecting him, and they might not have him even after selecting him.

What it tells me is that they thought of Kukan and Stenlund as needless clutter. They have other plans for those roster spots and don't think they'll have ice time for either of those two.

Scraps is scraps, that is an indictment of our situation. I'm not offended, I like Domi, Stenlund, Kukan and Carlsson. Glad they remain on the CBJ

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So is Seattle tanking or is this some 5000 IQ chess moves that I can’t see
I'm with you. If there's a good roster there, I'm not seeing it.

Waiting until UFA signing is over and trading is done will give the full picture, but the Kraken aren't looking like Vegas v2.0.

One thing that might make sense is that Seattle will be a gold mine market. Vegas had the potential to flop financially if they were terrible out of the gate.

Reactions: EspenK

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Lot of rumors seattle may be trading Giordano to the Rangers (along with Blackwell who they just took from Rangers).
You would have to think if true (especially f Seattle is retaining 25-50% of Salary of Giordano) that Seattle will get a few assets back.

I assumed GIORDANO would wear the C in Seattle, but figures they would flig a quality (older) guy like that back to one of our opponents :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lot of rumors seattle may be trading Giordano to the Rangers (along with Blackwell who they just took from Rangers).
You would have to think if true (especially f Seattle is retaining 25-50% of Salary of Giordano) that Seattle will get a few assets back.

I assumed GIORDANO would wear the C in Seattle, but figures they would flig a quality (older) guy like that back to one of our opponents :)

isnt it against the rules to trade a player you picked back to the same team you picked them from? I thought there was a year gap between when that was allowed? Or was that just bought out players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad