WJC: 2021 Russia Roster Talk

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It’ll be interesting to see how Russia plays with Larionov at the helm rather than Bragin. I wonder if they’ll be returning to a more skilled Soviet style skill game. I’d think it would like just be a continuation of the Russia has built teams in the recent past, but an interesting point to contemplate.

I always found Bragin’s teams played a tough and physical brand of hockey and he was able to get the absolute most out of his teams. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. His coached teams would fit in just fine in the WHL with the style of hockey we like in Western Canada.

As always, hoping for a Canada v Russia Gold medal final against our old friends and greatest hockey foe. Little over a month away until we get best-on-best international hockey back for this age group.

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Which young Russian skaters (under21) will have the biggest IMPACT in the NHL ?

What say the hardcore KHL scholars?
I say:
Podkolzin
Denisenko
Amirov
Romanov
Michkov
Kravstov
Marchenko
Chinakhov
Kirsanov
Chayka
Khovanov
Khusnutdinov
Morosov
Afanasyev
Ponomaryov
Alexeyev
Mukhamadullin
Groshev
Firstov
Zlodeyev

Reactions: Rayquaza64

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How many of them are the KHL level players? Podkolzin (he doesn't impress this season, though), Chinakhov, Amirov, Mukhamadullin, Askarov? Groshev doesn't progress, others don't even play regularly in the KHL.
Going back to this, Groshev is regular on SKA, Gritsyuk almost at PPG with Kuznya, Afanaseyev has 3 points in 4 games with CSKA, Chayka is playing with CSKA. Chistyakov and Nikishin KHL regulars could even be called pretty important players for their teams. They shouldn't have been written off just because they didn't get to play.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Going back to this, Groshev is regular on SKA, Gritsyuk almost at PPG with Kuznya, Afanaseyev has 3 points in 4 games with CSKA, Chayka is playing with CSKA. Chistyakov and Nikishin KHL regulars could even be called pretty important players for their teams. They shouldn't have been written off just because they didn't get to play.

Especially true of Nikishin. One advantage that Canadian and American teams feel that they have over Russia is that they can dominate them physically. Intimidate them at both ends of the ice. Nikishin is a very physical player who can also play a fast and skilled game. I think the Russian team needs to disabuse the North Americans of the notion of physical dominance by cultivating more Nikishins.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Especially true of Nikishin. One advantage that Canadian and American teams feel that they have over Russia is that they can dominate them physically. Intimidate them at both ends of the ice. Nikishin is a very physical player who can also play a fast and skilled game. I think the Russian team needs to disabuse the North Americans of the notion of physical dominance by cultivating more Nikishins.
I think Russian hockey has come a long way in being able to stand up to the physical game. The days of them being intimidated by hitting are long gone, in my opinion. Back in the day, these players wouldn’t see one another until the WJC but now there are myriad international tournaments at lower age brackets and each nation has a bunch of early exposure to the playing styles of other countries.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I think Russian hockey has come a long way in being able to stand up to the physical game. The days of them being intimidated by hitting are long gone, in my opinion. Back in the day, these players wouldn’t see one another until the WJC but now there are myriad international tournaments at lower age brackets and each nation has a bunch of early exposure to the playing styles of other countries.

You make a good point, but I am really talking about the decision of Russian coaches to de-emphasize physical play, and select defensemen for the team that do not play a physical game. If one team is playing physical and the other team is not, then that is an advantage for the more physical team that they feel they can exploit.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
You make a good point, but I am really talking about the decision of Russian coaches to de-emphasize physical play, and select defensemen for the team that do not play a physical game. If one team is playing physical and the other team is not, then that is an advantage for the more physical team that they feel they can exploit.
I do wonder what swapping Larionov in for Bragin is going to do to the way the team plays. I respected Bragin’s coaching and always felt he was able to get the most out of his lineup. Yet, many thought he de-emphasized skill by routinely taking only the most experienced players. Should be interesting to see how Igor picks his team and then how he manages the lineup. But does a younger, more skilled team (if that’s even what we end up with) mean they are less ready for the physicality? Thoughts?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I do wonder what swapping Larionov in for Bragin is going to do to the way the team plays. I respected Bragin’s coaching and always felt he was able to get the most out of his lineup. Yet, many thought he de-emphasized skill by routinely taking only the most experienced players. Should be interesting to see how Igor picks his team and then how he manages the lineup. But does a younger, more skilled team (if that’s even what we end up with) mean they are less ready for the physicality? Thoughts?

I suspect that they will be even less physical than what you normally see. It is possible to play winning hockey and at the same time play without any physicality, as long as they play with intensity and don't shy away from going in to the corners to compete for loose pucks. I do like Larionov's choices of assistants, especially Filatov, whose teams always seem to play over their heads and get excellent results. But it seems to be human nature that when one team is playing physical hockey and the other is not matching the level of physicality, the more passive team will start to back away and cede chunks of ice to the more aggressive team.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Physicality won't be an issue, at least not like it was 15 years ago. I can't think of any Russian team, at any level, who was physically intimated since those days. It's a systemic change. The 2001s and 2002s, under Filatov and Golubovich, have repeatedly played above their talent level with hard work.
Larionov may implement a less grinding game, but he's not changing underlining foundations.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Physicality won't be an issue, at least not like it was 15 years ago. I can't think of any Russian team, at any level, who was physically intimated since those days. It's a systemic change. The 2001s and 2002s, under Filatov and Golubovich, have repeatedly played above their talent level with hard work.
Larionov may implement a less grinding game, but he's not changing underlining foundations.

What I would argue, and you might disagree, is that there is a psychological advantage when you see someone closing in to slam you hard in to the boards, many players will pull up to protect themselves. Not that I am arguing in favor of the NHL culture, but in the NHL, when one team is under attack, they will try to blunt the attack by "returning the favor," so to speak. But when you can be assured that the other team will not retaliate, it kind of becomes a free fire zone to inflict heavy body attacks on your opponent. I think over the course of a game, it adds up! If you can focus on the goal, and not be deterred, then fine, but I think in many cases it changes the balance of the game.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What I would argue, and you might disagree, is that there is a psychological advantage when you see someone closing in to slam you hard in to the boards, many players will pull up to protect themselves. Not that I am arguing in favor of the NHL culture, but in the NHL, when one team is under attack, they will try to blunt the attack by "returning the favor," so to speak. But when you can be assured that the other team will not retaliate, it kind of becomes a free fire zone to inflict heavy body attacks on your opponent. I think over the course of a game, it adds up! If you can focus on the goal, and not be deterred, then fine, but I think in many cases it changes the balance of the game.

While this point has some validity as I see it, I think it depends upon the nature of the team playing the game that de-emphasizes physical play. Look at the NFL. Offensive players get hit over and over and over and have very limited opportunities to hit back. It's a novelty when a guy like Derrick Henry or Taysom Hill knocks over a linebacker and more often than not even the Derrick Henrys of the world lose the battle since their goal is to elude tacklers not engage them. None of this stops NFL teams from doing what they want on offense.

If a hockey team wants to play a finesse style it would seem feasible to me if the players buy in and can shake off the odd hit. Mobility and heady play can blunt most physical play. In today's game, the big hit often requires a player to abandon his defensive position. If the hitter whifs, there is now one less defender to stop the opposition's rush. Plus, at the WJC, most teams are fairly skilled and most players that make the team will have been targets most of their life wherever they played. Getting hit won't be anything new for most. Some of that will be on the coach and management for assembling a team that can function with the style the coach wants to play.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
While this point has some validity as I see it, I think it depends upon the nature of the team playing the game that de-emphasizes physical play. Look at the NFL. Offensive players get hit over and over and over and have very limited opportunities to hit back. It's a novelty when a guy like Derrick Henry or Taysom Hill knocks over a linebacker and more often than not even the Derrick Henrys of the world lose the battle since their goal is to elude tacklers not engage them. None of this stops NFL teams from doing what they want on offense.

If a hockey team wants to play a finesse style it would seem feasible to me if the players buy in and can shake off the odd hit. Mobility and heady play can blunt most physical play. In today's game, the big hit often requires a player to abandon his defensive position. If the hitter whifs, there is now one less defender to stop the opposition's rush. Plus, at the WJC, most teams are fairly skilled and most players that make the team will have been targets most of their life wherever they played. Getting hit won't be anything new for most. Some of that will be on the coach and management for assembling a team that can function with the style the coach wants to play.

The 1979 Challenge Cup Series was an example, albeit a rare one, when the Soviets were torqued up at jet speed and refused to allow attempts at a body attack by the NHL to turn them away. Their mentality was they were going to win regardless of the physical cost! But there were many series' when the Soviets just didn't show that level of motivation. I believe the Soviets had more depth in the '84 and '87 Canada Cups, but lacked the motivation to pay the heavy physical cost required. Not playing physical worked against them.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The 1979 Challenge Cup Series was an example, albeit a rare one, when the Soviets were torqued up at jet speed and refused to allow attempts at a body attack by the NHL to turn them away. Their mentality was they were going to win regardless of the physical cost! But there were many series' when the Soviets just didn't show that level of motivation. I believe the Soviets had more depth in the '84 and '87 Canada Cups, but lacked the motivation to pay the heavy physical cost required. Not playing physical worked against them.

They played their hockey in 1984 and 1987. They had Khomutov, Bykov, Larionov in their top6, you don't play tough hockey with players like this.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
They played their hockey in 1984 and 1987. They had Khomutov, Bykov, Larionov in their top6, you don't play tough hockey with players like this.

Highly skilled small players can certainly be a good tradeoff for lack of physicality, as long as they are willing to fight for the puck. I really had defensemen in mind, rather than forwards.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’m not sure he’s even Russian or young enough but why is Sharangovich on the roster? He’s Belarusian. So I guess not? My bad he’s 22 years old. Past the age limit.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hey, it sounded Russian to me. What can I say I made a mistake. Sorry not perfect when it come to European players.

It wasn't even that that had me confused. I knew he was drafted as an overager so thought maybe you'd looked at the Devils recent 2 drafts to see who was eligible and forgot he was drafted after his D+2 year. But everyone drafted in 2018 is no longer eligible. Ty Smith who was drafted in the same draft by the Devils for example. He also did play in this tournament for Belarus twice, 3 and 5 years ago, with a 3rd year in division 1A in between.

That and it takes about 10 seconds to google him to see he's Belarusian and 22 so strange that you took the time to post here and then check rather than check first.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

Will this be Team Russia's goal song!!!))) Lol for the kids but it's another nice Russian Hockey song. Igray v Khokkey!!! I'll sing this in Novosibirsk at the World Juniors in a couple years lol!

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think thats actually what the name is everywhere. Bela-rus means like White Rus I believe, with Rus being the name for the place and people that eventually became Russia.
The root bel- means white in slavic languages. Everything else is regional and grammatical add-ons. The whole thing is originally the name of the region. Also originally there were also regions called the Black Rus, the Red Rus and so on. It's just White Rus made it into a country name centuries later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad