WJC: 2021 Russia Roster Talk

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Does anyone with a lot of knowledge on the Russian team have a gauge on Zlodeyev? I'm assuming he won't be on the final team, but is he at least near the bubble?
Well, he was on the EHT team so if not for Abramov taking up one center spot he would probably be on the team. He still might, it's between him, Mingachyov and Ponomaryov probably.

Reactions: BCNate

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Maybe I'm missing some point of your post, but how he "still might" if he isn't even in the camp now (and therefore inelegible for the bubble)?
Nah, I just misspoke, just like with Zherenko's situation, same with Nikishin a few weeks ago. I'm just not in tune with the whole bubble situation at all...

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Any idea why Russia has issues developing centers?
Lack of emphasis on the position on kids level. Faceoffs and defemsive forward play is just something that should be taught at a younger age and it's not. There is also a very obviousl lag with coaches and parents to the reality. Just like they are slow to realise the trends in youth hockety development, they don't figure out things like center is considered the most valuable position. Those go higher in the draft and ultimately make more money. Even the slowest should be getting that at some point. I mean, I can understand why defenceman is not the most popular postion among kids.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Lack of emphasis on the position on kids level. Faceoffs and defemsive forward play is just something that should be taught at a younger age and it's not. There is also a very obviousl lag with coaches and parents to the reality. Just like they are slow to realise the trends in youth hockety development, they don't figure out things like center is considered the most valuable position. Those go higher in the draft and ultimately make more money. Even the slowest should be getting that at some point. I mean, I can understand why defenceman is not the most poular postion among kids.
I had definitely noticed the lack of emphasis on faceoffs throughout the years. I was figuring that maybe too many kids had been enamoured with Pavel Bure when they were growing up and not enough with Igor Larionov. But you’re right, it should fall to the youth coaches to straighten that out. Thanks for your input.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I had definitely noticed the lack of emphasis on faceoffs throughout the years. I was figuring that maybe too many kids had been enamoured with Pavel Bure when they were growing up and not enough with Igor Larionov. But you’re right, it should fall to the youth coaches to straighten that out. Thanks for your input.
Bure would be before 25 and under kids times....Ovechkin/Kovalchuk would make more sense for your point.

but then u can talk about Malkin and datsyuk.
Meanwhile fedorov too if u want to go back to Bure/larionov times

Jan 21, 2018
Is there really only 2 righties on the entire team... one of them being Askarov? Thats insane if its true.

is this a good thing for spiridonov because he’ll be the only center that is right handed? Or a bad thing because Russia clearly doesn’t care about balancing their roster?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is there really only 2 righties on the entire team... one of them being Askarov? Thats insane if its true.

I mentioned that in the Canada thread yesterday.

Russia is always heavy on the left shots but only having one skater who is a right shot is pretty crazy. Never figured out why that was, year after year it’s always heavily dominated by left shooting players for them.

If we meet them for Gold or in the playoffs, we’ll have to target the D men playing on the right on their off side. Lots of pucks into that corner and heavy on the forecheck to that side, hopefully it leads to turnovers.

Russia will be a strong team as usual and will have the best goaltender, they’ll be a tough team to beat.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I mentioned that in the Canada thread yesterday.

Russia is always heavy on the left shots but only having one skater who is a right shot is pretty crazy. Never figured out why that was, year after year it’s always heavily dominated by left shooting players for them.

If we meet them for Gold or in the playoffs, we’ll have to target the D men playing on the right on their off side. Lots of pucks into that corner and heavy on the forecheck to that side, hopefully it leads to turnovers.

Russia will be a strong team as usual and will have the best goaltender, they’ll be a tough team to beat.

I love people thinking handedness means ANYTHING but you have to tweak your play accordingly. There is no weakness whatsoever in having all left handed players or all right handed players.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
is this a good thing for spiridonov because he’ll be the only center that is right handed? Or a bad thing because Russia clearly doesn’t care about balancing their roster?
Only an idiot is balancing the roster based on handedness.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I love people thinking handedness means ANYTHING but you have to tweak your play accordingly. There is no weakness whatsoever in having all left handed players or all right handed players.

Offensively it doesn’t make a huge difference, but for D men in particular defensively it’s harder to breakout on your off side.

Even at men’s beer league levels it’s harder under pressure to get the breakout going on your off side. Offensively, it’s actually somewhat easier because you can close the wall off and shooting angles are easier when you’re in the offensive zone playing on your off side.

Obviously a coach and team takes the best players who you think you can win with, but I’m wondering is there a reason why it’s historically always been lots of left shooting players? This is hardly the first time Russia has brought a team full of left shooters, it’s pretty normal year over year for you guys.

Also, who do you guys got for the line projections now that rosters are finalized?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Any idea why Russia has issues developing centers?

You forgot defensemen - put them on the list of deficient specializations along side centers. Its not the kids' fault, so it has to be lack of investment, organizational skill, and commitment to improving.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
You forgot defensemen - put them on the list of deficient specializations along side centers. Its not the kids' fault, so it has to be lack of investment, organizational skill, and commitment to improving.
Well, you guys keep churning out good teams, so you must be doing SOMETHING right.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It is how it is, yes. Not like it's the first time when there is almost no righties on the team.

Because he wasn't invited initially I guess.
I don’t think the great Soviet teams of the early 70’s had any right shot players, other than Tretiak, did they? Great players are great on any side of the ice, regardless of their shooting right or left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad