WJC: 2021 Russia Roster Talk

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is there any news on how the goaltenders will shake out? I imagine Askarov is 100% the favorite for starting but what about the other two?
I'd say Akhtyamov is 90% in and toss a coin between the other 2. Zherenko wouldn't have been brought in if he isn't being considered seriously.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'd say Akhtyamov is 90% in and toss a coin between the other 2. Zherenko wouldn't have been brought in if he isn't being considered seriously.

I'll preface this by saying I know absolutely nothing about 2 of the goalies in camp, but I would assume everyone would want to have at least 1 extra in camp even if they had no chance given the covid rules regarding anyone not in a teams camp setting by now is no longer eligible. If a team only had 3 goalies in camp and 1 of them tested positive now they'd be travelling to Canada with only 2 eligible goalies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'll preface this by saying I know absolutely nothing about 2 of the goalies in camp, but I would assume everyone would want to have at least 1 extra in camp even if they had no chance given the covid rules regarding anyone not in a teams camp setting by now is no longer eligible. If a team only had 3 goalies in camp and 1 of them tested positive now they'd be travelling to Canada with only 2 eligible goalies.
I suppose it's very true this year, I keep forgetting the times we live in.

Still, the situation is more or less that, I'd say. Maybe Skotnikov has a slight edge.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Skotnikov is a clear cut #2
Don't see it, at all. Any justification for it other than that you really like him which may or may not be tied to the fact that he was born in Kazan? He hasn't been good in the KHL, he hasn't been good in the VHL. All he has going for him is anchoring from U18 days.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Don't see it, at all. Any justification for it other than that you really like him which may or may not be tied to the fact that he was born in Kazan? He hasn't been good in the KHL, he hasn't been good in the VHL. All he has going for him is anchoring from U18 days.
Do you really think I care squat about where any russian NT player was born?:D

Skotnikov always was number two behind Askarov and he still is. There is in turn no justification why the other two should have dethroned him there. None of them did anything significant to surprise me.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Is there any news on how the goaltenders will shake out? I imagine Askarov is 100% the favorite for starting but what about the other two?

1. Askarov

2./3. Skotnikov and Akhtyamov (I'd say slight edge to Skotnikov, as at least in the KHL games he looked better. On the other hand Skotnikov has been injured recently and might be not in a perfect game shape while Akhtyamov was with the team at the Karjala Cup, so it's close here.)

4. Zherenko (he is likely just called up as an emergency replacement in case someone is injured or fails the covid test).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do you really think I care squat about where any russian NT player was born?:D

Skotnikov always was number two behind Askarov and he still is. There is in turn no justification why the other two should have dethroned him there. None of them did anything significant to surprise me.
For all I know, he might be your godchild the way you stick up for him.

"Always was therefore should always be" (in other words basic anchoring) is one of the worst fallacies you can apply when constructing a hockey team. Even more so when constructing U20 team where 1 season of growth can turn things upside down.

2./3. Skotnikov and Akhtyamov (I'd say slight edge to Skotnikov, as at least in the KHL games he looked better. On the other hand Skotnikov has been injured recently and might be not in a perfect game shape while Akhtyamov was with the team at the Karjala Cup, so it's close here.)
Has he? Akhtyamov had 1 start in the league and he won a close game against Traktor. Furthermore, his second significant action came in the game against Neftekhimik where he managed to get Ak Bars who were significantly outplayed (outshot 15-5 in the 3rd) to OT. So he actually did very well. Furthermore, he has outplayed Skotnikov at the VHL level to the extent that isn't even close. I don't really know how one can really make that point other than the fact that Akhtyamov allowed a goal while playing 4 minutes in that 7-1 whipping Amur handed to Ak Bars which ruins his Sv% because the sample size is so laughably small.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Has he? Akhtyamov had 1 start in the league and he won a close game against Traktor. Furthermore, his second significant action came in the game against Neftekhimik where he managed to get Ak Bars who were significantly outplayed (outshot 15-5 in the 3rd) to OT. So he actually did very well. Furthermore, he has outplayed Skotnikov at the VHL level to the extent that isn't even close. I don't really know how one can really make that point other than the fact that Akhtyamov allowed a goal while playing 4 minutes in that 7-1 whipping Amur handed to Ak Bars which ruins his Sv% because the sample size is so laughably small.

Skotnikov had like two very good games and one rather mediocre (Vs. Jokerit). Akhtyamov was very good Vs. Neftekhimik, pretty mediocre Vs. Traktor and then there was that game where he was pulled after letting in two on three shots or something. Overall I was left with an impression that Akhtyamov is likely not ready for the KHL yet, but as for Skotnikov, CSKA can safely let Sharychenkov go.

Didn't see them both in VHL action this year I think, but last year Skotnikov was solid in his limited appearances there and certainly was better than Akhtyamov in the MHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For all I know, he might be your godchild the way you stick up for him.

"Always was therefore should always be" (in other words basic anchoring) is one of the worst fallacies you can apply when constructing a hockey team. Even more so when constructing U20 team where 1 season of growth can turn things upside down.
Poor attempt of critisizm on your part. This is YOUR invention that I somehow stick up to Skotnikov. I just speak my mind. And it is not the words YOU try to put in my mouth.

It's not what YOU say. It's always was and there is no precedent or proof that anything has changed. Skotnikov is still as solid as he was before. Akhtyamov is having a good first half of the season, but it's not like he blows Skotnikov out of the water. In the MHL Mosin has slightly better stats than Akhtyamov in way more GP. Now let's send Mosin to the NT as backup to Askarov. No? Let's turn things upside down. Oh, and by the way in the KHL Akhtyamov has not won any games, Skotnikov did. Let's base everything on that. In fact it is you for whatever reason heavily favoring Akhtyamov(who btw is also a Kazan native so your argument about ius soli is weird at best) and disliking Skotnikov with no real background. If anything it's me picking a guy who left Kazan over a "loyal scholar" of AkBars. Because, you know, that's how I see their play on the ice.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So both guys played the majority of their games this season in the VHL but we choose to ignore that part. Interesting strategy.

Anyway, regarding the KHL games, I just don't see it. I saw both games Skotnikov started this year and yes, he was pretty good against Amur but it was a garbage Amur team with no imports CSKA dominated against. Against Jokerit, to me, he looked kinda lost. But that's not the point really. The point is, like I said, he played the majority of the games in the VHL and is at .907 there. Anyone who knows how VHL works - that's piss poor. He performs far worse than the regular Zvezda starter. Akhtyamov, on the other hand, .935 in the VHL and statistically performs far better than regular Bars' starter. But evidently, that is "no precedent or proof ". I suppose this is the point where any reasonable discussion ends.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So both guys played the majority of their games this season in the VHL but we choose to ignore that part. Interesting strategy.

Anyway, regarding the KHL games, I just don't see it. I saw both games Skotnikov started this year and yes, he was pretty good against Amur but it was a garbage Amur team with no imports CSKA dominated against. Against Jokerit, to me, he looked kinda lost. But that's not the point really. The point is, like I said, he played the majority of the games in the VHL and is at .907 there. Anyone who knows how VHL works - that's piss poor. He performs far worse than the regular Zvezda starter. Akhtyamov, on the other hand, .935 in the VHL and statistically performs far better than regular Bars' starter. But evidently, that is "no precedent or proof ". I suppose this is the point where any reasonable discussion ends.

It's not like I ignore that, I just didn't see them in the VHL this season and I'm a bit of old school and just don't trust stats too much. Based on the KHL performance this season (and also on the last season's performance) I think that Skotnikov has a slight edge to take the backup role, but that is just my opinion, if you seen VHL games and have another opinion based on that it is totally fine. At the end of the day I think you will agree with me that the backup's spot will likely be decided in the pre-tournament games and not anywhere else.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
At the end of the day I think you will agree with me that the backup's spot will likely be decided in the pre-tournament games and not anywhere else.
Definitely. But that's exactly why I think Akhtyamov has an edge based on recent performances rather than "always-has-beens". I guess we will just wait and see.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kind of hard to believe ,he is first line center,I guess Russia not very good this time in the middle
As is often the case. Kravtsov had to play center, Kostin had to play center.. This year at least these kind of experiments aren't needed. Abramov-Khusnutdinov-Safonov down the middle isn't great but not awful either.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
As is often the case. Kravtsov had to play center, Kostin had to play center.. This year at least these kind of experiments aren't needed. Abramov-Khusnutdinov-Safonov down the middle isn't great but not awful either.

The only time Kostin played center was at the WJAC iirc and it was related to an injury during the tournament.

Reactions: Atas2000

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Does anyone with a lot of knowledge on the Russian team have a gauge on Zlodeyev? I'm assuming he won't be on the final team, but is he at least near the bubble?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
As a Wild fan, I'm really looking forward to get my first good look at Firstov and Khusnutdinov, assuming they both survive the cuts.

Who knows, but someday Minnesota may roll a line of Firstov - Khusnutdinov - Kaprizov....could happen, I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad