2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd rather Sanheim played RD next to Provorov than some shit UFA. Provorov desperately needs an offensive leaning, play driving, playmaker next to him to make him his best self. Unfortunately, Travo isn't right handed. It's not ideal. And he gets similar usage at 5v5 anyway, so it's not really a bump up. But it's not not ideal?
Would you like me to provide an answer to this problem? I have someone in mind.

Then, instead of desperately scouring the Earth for a carry for Provorov, we can pivot and just look for a competent partner for Sanhero.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The solution to our problems

CGK130601_029__NHL_Combine.jpg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don’t necessarily disagree getting him out of Buffalo could potentially unlock more. My whole thing is what’s more? A passable/solid bottom pairing defender?

That’s not his caphit & that’s not what his usage is going to likely be either.
You have to think you can get a solid top 4 out of him if you're moving assets for him. It would be wishful thinking at this point.

He's going to get a ridiculous Tyler Myers type contract in a year and I want absolutely no part of that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hayes for Ristolianen. Who says no? Buffalo or Bill?

Having negative rel stats every single year is probably a sign that a player might not just be a victim of being on a bad team.

He was 8th in both CF% and xGF% among D on his own team this past year.

51669dbc515ffe002b7b33c7f9a65a66.png

But those hits. PITA to play against, says Billy.
Forget the nerd stats. Risto doesn't have a "plus" +/- season professionally.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm skeptical the Flyers go all-in on Hamilton. But they acquired Hayes proudly declaring he was a big, 2-way center.......and not a puck skilled, cherry picker. So, by that logic, I suppose Hamilton could be a 2-way stud? Jones makes more narrative sense.

I think Douglas is one of the best offensive defensemen in the league and an absolute top pair quality play driver. I'd be happy to have him, but I'm slightly ambivalent at the same time. I do think he's more a top pair weapon than an actual "#1," which is fine. I like weapons! It is hard to ignore how monstrously good Slavin and Pesce are as defensive defenders with skill. There's symbiosis there.

But I don't think the Flyers and Vigneault would know how to use him to his strengths. It's not hard to see them actually playing to his flaws. Historically, AV doesn't understand offensive defensemen. Hamilton is maybe the best goal scoring defender in the league and would go to a team that already has a #1 who bombs away endlessly. He'd go to a dysfunctional PP that overemphasizes point shots as is. Possession isn't prized here. If you can't fit an among league best talent on your team, that's your problem, not the player's. And that's my point. For half the price tag, they could let Sanheim follow the Hamilton playbook, but they don't even know how.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Still have a feeling we get Dumba. Minny likely won't protect him and Fletch knows him well.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I'm skeptical the Flyers go all-in on Hamilton. But they acquired Hayes proudly declaring he was a big, 2-way center.......and not a puck skilled, cherry picker. So, by that logic, I suppose Hamilton could be a 2-way stud? Jones makes more narrative sense.

I think Douglas is one of the best offensive defensemen in the league and an absolute top pair quality play driver. I'd be happy to have him, but I'm slightly ambivalent at the same time. I do think he's more a top pair weapon than an actual "#1," which is fine. I like weapons! It is hard to ignore how monstrously good Slavin and Pesce are as defensive defenders with skill. There's symbiosis there.

But I don't think the Flyers and Vigneault would know how to use him to his strengths. It's not hard to see them actually playing to his flaws. Historically, AV doesn't understand offensive defensemen. Hamilton is maybe the best goal scoring defender in the league and would go to a team that already has a #1 who bombs away endlessly. He'd go to a dysfunctional PP that overemphasizes point shots as is. Possession isn't prized here. If you can't fit an among league best talent on your team, that's your problem, not the player's. And that's my point. For half the price tag, they could let Sanheim follow the Hamilton playbook, but they don't even know how.
Well if provorov, sanheim, ghost, York, Myers can be those defensive skill guys then let Hamilton run wild and create havoc. Having him lightens the load on everyone, finally takes provorov off the pp and let’s him focus on other areas which helps the team more…idgaf what happens I just want to win a damn cup with giroux

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Lmao imagine if we get risto and we win the cup hahahaha…meltzer would tweet about it for decades. He might even come back into this forum

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t necessarily disagree getting him out of Buffalo could potentially unlock more. My whole thing is what’s more? A passable/solid bottom pairing defender?

That’s not his caphit & that’s not what his usage is going to likely be either.

He's exactly the kind of dman that Hockey Guys would be prone to grotesquely overrate.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Risto sounds more like a move that Carolina would make, not Philly. They successfully rehabbed Skjei into a nice, minute-munching compliment to Pesce. Maybe the Canes look at Risto as a reclamation project to play with Slavin if Dougie decides to sign elsewhere?

I kind of see Philly's approach as knocking on five different doors as potential options. First will be Dougie, then Dumba, then Seth Jones, then Barrie, and then Ristolainen. There will be plenty of suitors for all five, just because RHD are so coveted.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
sandin is signed. you guys still have hope for him?

He's probably someone you could plug right into the bottom-6 of an average NHL roster and he would hold his own.
But our prospect pool is deep and never really stood out even in the AHL. Adjustment period and COVID situation need to be taken into consideration but still... no longer expecting much.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think we should get Hamilton or Ellis, but agree that Jones seems to be more like Fletchers style.

I still think center needs to the bigger issue. The final four teams have a lot of good things but center depth is strong and they have elite wings carrying those centers higher as well. This team getting Eichel would be amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redpath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad