2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Already being talked about but...

Can't wait to see who "someone else" is. Probably Goligoski because he was a Penguins D man like our lord and savior...he can be our Niskanen.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Goligoski was traded FOR Niskanen. If that doesn't say they're equal value I don't know what does.

They are already selling Alec Martinez jerseys at the Wells.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Z and York are making the team next year.

Provorov - ???
York - Sanheim
Zamula - Myers
Braun

Going to be interesting. I can't see Ghost being here.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
With what the Rags have done recently with their FO and coaching staff, my expectation is that they are going to go big this off season. They'll find a way to weasel Eichel out of Buffalo and it wouldn't surprise me to see them nab either Hamilton or Jones. If Fletcher can hold himself under control, the market could look quite interesting once these big names (overpays) are gone. All the Flyers really need on the backend is a solid veteran RHD to settle down that corps. There's no Lidstrom out there to be had from the players that are available right now. Fletcher needs to make a move but not a dumb one.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
York is not just a PP guy. He can help the team a lot at low cost without getting a ton of PP time.

He can, but ideally you'd maximize his value to the team. Plus it makes it harder to bench him for Hagg for arbitrary reasons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With what the Rags have done recently with their FO and coaching staff, my expectation is that they are going to go big this off season. They'll find a way to weasel Eichel out of Buffalo and it wouldn't surprise me to see them nab either Hamilton or Jones. If Fletcher can hold himself under control, the market could look quite interesting once these big names (overpays) are gone. All the Flyers really need on the backend is a solid veteran RHD to settle down that corps. There's no Lidstrom out there to be had from the players that are available right now. Fletcher needs to make a move but not a dumb one.

I think you're selling short the pressure Fletcher is under this summer. The last time he was under this pressure, he moved before we even got to UFA on Braun and Hayes, and that's with patience already being one of his MO's.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think you're selling short the pressure Fletcher is under this summer. The last time he was under this pressure, he moved before we even got to UFA on Braun and Hayes, and that's with patience already being one of his MO's.

Who exactly is he under pressure from? Everyone above (lol) and around him seems hugely satisfied with the experience in the group. They think it's a fine group. The fans don't give a f***. The only ones who ever make any noise are all "dErP, yOu aLwAyS bLaMe tHe cOaCh, hErPa dErP."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Who exactly is he under pressure from? Everyone above (lol) and around him seems hugely satisfied with the experience in the group. They think it's a fine group. The fans don't give a f***. The only ones who ever make any noise are all "dErP, yOu aLwAyS bLaMe tHe cOaCh, hErPa dErP."

Ticket/Merch sales are really the only pressure and they were not pretty down the stretch. Not being able to sell out with 2500 max capacity is very alarming after not having any fans for a year.

I can see them averaging under 15,000 next season if there isn't something done this summer to bring a level of excitement and hope back to the fanbase.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
LEAVE CHUCK AND ALAIN ALONE

leavebritneyalone710.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm hoping DOPS has completely ripped the hinges off them

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ticket/Merch sales are really the only pressure and they were not pretty down the stretch. Not being able to sell out with 2500 max capacity is very alarming after not having any fans for a year.

I can see them averaging under 15,000 next season if there isn't something done this summer to bring a level of excitement back to the fanbase.

But I don't think that is translating into real pressure the way people are speaking about it, or the way it normally would. They are full of excuses, like Covid Break TM. I just think the entire pack of c***s is asleep at the wheel.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Fletcher said himself in one of his press conferences that it wasn't the right mix. He said that out loud, in front of people, what do you think they're not saying out loud in front of people?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But I don't think that is translating into real pressure the way people are speaking about it, or the way it normally would. They are full of excuses, like Covid Break TM. I just thinks the entire pack of c***s is asleep at the wheel.

Probably not changing as long as Scott is the owner. Maybe he'll sell when revenue stops meeting his expectations? We can only hope.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
You may well be correct about Fletcher being under the gun here. Still doing an overpayment for a good but not great player has to be avoided. Watching Savard play in TB since he got there has been a bit revealing. He's showing everything that the Flyers wanted out of Niskanen when he was acquired. He is showing an ability to get up into the play that he didn't do that much with the Sabres. Blowing away assets and money to nab Hamilton or Jones isn't necessary to upgrade the defense. Obtaining a Savard level RHD at the right salary cost and price to acquire makes more sense than blowing the bank for Hamilton (still the 3rd best defenseman on his present team) or Jones (with meh performance in the past).
Additionally, if, anyone should be under pressure this summer, it should be the HC and his staff. Fletcher can buy all the fancy fresh ingredients for the stew that he wants. If the chef can't cook, its still garbage.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Fletcher said himself in one of his press conferences that it wasn't the right mix. He said that out loud, in front of people, what do you think they're not saying out loud in front of people?

What I think they are not saying out loud in front of people is "If they aren't from Minnesota, I don't want them," and "Of course I will bend over," and "It is hilarious fun to steal money for a living."

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I can see them go hard after Eichel, but with Trouba on the team making $8m and Fox needing a new contract as well next summer, I don't think they can afford to spend big money on another defenseman.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
As someone who mostly lurks and reads these threads to fill in the void of having anyone in my social circle to talk Flyers with, I'm really starting to become confused as to what some here actually want out of this offseason. Don't acquire Jones/Hamilton because the cost will be too prohibitive plus we already have Ghost to play with Provorov but then we'll criticize the GM for not being able to upgrade the roster and make the team better? I am in complete agreement that both the GM and the coach should be heavily questioned and criticized and that they should very much be on the hot seat moving forward (Fletcher needs to have a strong offseason improving the roster and resigning key players and AV needs to come into next season with a new or adjusted system that matches the team's strengths); but can't we just spare the 'I know whatever they do is going to suck' narrative just so that some of you can say I told you so later on. How much is too much to move and give up for Hamilton? What would be a fair contract to sign him at? If not him then what does the team do to improve their roster?

What have the Flyers done in the last 5 years to make you believe they actually have a competent and modern plan? And, I'm not 'coming at you'. Have they? Not enough for me to be honest.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You may well be correct about Fletcher being under the gun here. Still doing an overpayment for a good but not great player has to be avoided. Watching Savard play in TB since he got there has been a bit revealing. He's showing everything that the Flyers wanted out of Niskanen when he was acquired. He is showing an ability to get up into the play that he didn't do that much with the Sabres. Blowing away assets and money to nab Hamilton or Jones isn't necessary to upgrade the defense. Obtaining a Savard level RHD at the right salary cost and price to acquire makes more sense than blowing the bank for Hamilton (still the 3rd best defenseman on his present team) or Jones (with meh performance in the past).
Additionally, if, anyone should be under pressure this summer, it should be the HC and his staff. Fletcher can buy all the fancy fresh ingredients for the stew that he wants. If the chef can't cook, its still garbage.

I definitely buy that AV is under the gun, the problem is that there's already a ready-made replacements. When you bring in two ex-head coaches with the playoff experience those guys have, moving quickly is what they planned on. These guys all know the business.

Your Savard comparison could be good for Jones though. Jones' numbers aren't good, but he also played on a team that didn't have any centers, and it's going to be hard to drive up those totals if your centers can't drive play.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Friedman in 31 thoughts write up also said Jersey and Ghost (flyers adding a sweetener).

I don’t mean this in a sarcastic way but are 30 GMs dumb for not wanting ghost or does the hockey analytical fans overvalue the the stats?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
From Lappy:

The players have to know that. And I want to bring the way we’re going to play and the style of play. I’m going to bring the structure that me and AV are talking about. There’s a lot of stuff that won’t be negotiable in the system,” Laperriere said.
“Players will make mistakes. Coaches will make mistakes. That I can live with, but you have to stick with the system, with the structure that we talk about and hard work.”

Reactions: landsbergfan

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I definitely buy that AV is under the gun, the problem is that there's already a ready-made replacements. When you bring in two ex-head coaches with the playoff experience those guys have, moving quickly is what they planned on. These guys all know the business.

Your Savard comparison could be good for Jones though. Jones' numbers aren't good, but he also played on a team that didn't have any centers, and it's going to be hard to drive up those totals if your centers can't drive play.
When AV goes, Therrien will be out the door with him. IMO, Yeo doesn't have enough credit to hang around. If Fletcher has this Minnesota hang up that many presume that he has, not that I'm crazy about the idea, but I could see him bringing in Boudreau in an emergency situation.
I really have misgivings about this upcoming season. Hopefully I'm wrong but it looks like there's some tough days ahead for this organization. AV's replacement is going to have to do a lot to put in a sensible playing system for this roster at the same time that they reconstruct a locker room that has been roughed up by the former staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad