2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
My other favorite thing is the spite people feel toward Friedman :laugh: I'm not against it. It's just that it's so f***ing weird.
It’s spite against all the major trade rumor analyst. Dreger and Friedman get shit on all the time but are the ones breaking a majority of the NHL news. They report what they hear and clearly they have sources up and down the leagues. Just because something/someone doesn’t get moved doesn’t mean it isn’t being discussed or was at one point.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We nearly got our answer if Chuck likes Dougie or not.

upload_2021-6-15_11-35-34.png

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can only speak for my post and say that I do believe there are ways to improve the team other than the two defensemen being talked about and that I haven't seen any discussion otherwise. It's just the typical AV sucks, Fletcher cant do anything, Hayes sucks, Provorov is overrated, Ghost doesn't suck, you're all just Authentic Fans, etc etc etc. But maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads and looking in the wrong places.

All of those listed evaluations are correct so it makes sense that you keep seeing them. So what’s the problem?

And you’re the one who acted like there was a contradiction between not wanting Jones and saying that Fletcher didnt improve the team, as if those two things can’t both be true. It’s not unfair to him to say he’s doing a bad job but also not want him to make that specific mistake.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Fletcher criticism is amusing, because he hasn't made a lot of moves (nor do most GMs, there's a small minority that wheels and deals b/c they have to be doing "something"), his two trades were for Niskanen and Braun, which rebuild the defense for a 2nd, 3rd and one year of Gudas.

Other than that, silly nitpicking, who cares about Stewart, Hartman, Thompson or Grant other than a few people on this board - he shuffled some bottom six guys with a 4th and 5th going out and a 4th (2), 5th, 6th & 7th returning. Notice now that he has critical mass of prospects, he signs Lycksell, Rubtsov and Sandin, instead of reupping all the AHL vets. With Hogberg, Wylie, Zamula and Millman, look for most of the veteran AHL D-men like Prosser to move on.

The people who want him to do something really mean they want him to steal someone, but you usually do that by trading an overvalued older veteran (Voracek, Ghost, JVR) for a younger player(s) who then blossoms with his new team (or he'd have cost more). But that only happens maybe every three or four of these types of deals, most young players turn out to be the same or worse on their new team.

Many of the people who want him to do something don't want him to trade anyone they like, Hayes as a NMC, Laughton ain't going nowhere, and Braun/Hagg/et al ain't garnering you much in a trade. So if you don't trade #13, Ghost, Voracek, TK (Couts or G if they won't sign an extension), who are you going to trade?

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Already being talked about but...

Can't wait to see who "someone else" is. Probably Goligoski because he was a Penguins D man like our lord and savior...he can be our Niskanen.

If we get Seth Jones instead of Douglas, and it forces us to trade Kev, I will be the most enormous Seth Jones fan in the world. You can hold me to this. If I don't, you can film me watching @bennysflyers16 eat a raw potato.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Already being talked about but...

Can't wait to see who "someone else" is. Probably Goligoski because he was a Penguins D man like our lord and savior...he can be our Niskanen.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Goligoski was traded FOR Niskanen. If that doesn't say they're equal value I don't know what does.

Could see them being in the mix on Martinez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Fletcher's top priority will be goalie 1B, can't depend on Hart and the other young goalies are probably 2-3 years away.
So the most important move is a goalie who can play 40 games in a tandem with Hart.

I doubt he'll do anything until after the ED, b/c he'll have to trade contract for contract unless Seattle takes a veteran contract off his hands.
Unless he wants to let G or Couts walk, he doesn't have the cap room for a long-term deal with Jones or Hamilton.

And as far as moving Hayes a year from now, well, who is your 2C? Until someone emerges, you won't save much b/c you'll have to pay Hayes' replacement at least $5M a year - you're not signing a 2C for cheap, even Filppula made a decent salary.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If we get Martinez and Jones…. Who is leaving. We would have a combo of Jones/Provorov/sanheim/Myers/York/Ghost/Hagg/Braun/Zamula. That’s a crowded blue line.
If you get Martinez you likely are out on Jones. I don’t think York is in the mix for opening night.

Reactions: Prongo and renberg

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Could see them being in the mix on Martinez

as long as fletch doesnt bring the same team back next year, im fine with whatever he does. i would rather see fletch bring in lesser names and not overspending on a dman that could haunt us aka sharks.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I don't want Hamilton or Jones. I don't think either options make a great deal of sense cap wise for this team.

I have no other suggestions other than targetting Parayko if he indicates he'snot going to re-sign.

Reactions: renberg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only case for Hamilton not being the top target other than him not wanting to come here is that they think York will be PP1 next season. I just don’t see how they’re going to put that on York’s plate right now. Of course, if Hamilton is here, York is unlikely to ever be PP1 which makes him trade bait.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The only case for Hamilton not being the top target other than him not wanting to come here is that they think York will be PP1 next season. I just don’t see how they’re going to put that on York’s plate right now. Of course, if Hamilton is here, York is unlikely to ever be PP1 which makes him trade bait.

York is not just a PP guy. He can help the team a lot at low cost without getting a ton of PP time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->