2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Said in a reply to the tweet that it's not Raanta. Given that he said it's a "complicated deal" I'm thinking Fleury.
Fleury, Kuemper or Francouz, IMO. At least I hope Adams isn't going to trade for one of the San Jose goalies or Jonathan Quick.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is bad puck luck now interchangeable with god awful finishing ?
I get what you're saying but I think part of the problem, at least in my mind, is that its hard to diagnose the issue.

Is the poor finishing due to laziness, lack of confidence, indecisiveness, rusty skills, etc?

When Eichel rips one high it's easy to be mad they aren't just hitting the net, but people label every saved shot as "fired into the chest". Would anyone be happier if they hit more posts? Probably not, even though it would be a sign they are closer to scoring. I agree that poor finishing and bad luck aren't always the same thing, but I see why they can be viewed that way at times.

Maybe they do just need to improve it as a skill and dedicate some drills to shake the rust off more quickly

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The defense needs to be revamped. It's been clear as day for years now. We have too many defensemen with similar strengths and weaknesses- Risto, McCabe, Miller, and Montour are all defenemen with physical tools but have a lack of defensive prowess and a low hockey IQ.

We need to do whatever it takes to find a partner that meshes with Dahlin and Joki. Dahlin hasnt had a stable partner who can cover up for him since he entered the league. He's just cycling through partners with similar flaws. Joki played his best hockey with Scandella, but of course, Botts traded Scandella and Joki has struggled to hit that level of play again.

It's vital we give these kids a stable partner. Partners who can play a simple yet effective game. it's essential both Joki and Dahlin reach their potential in this league, and developing them properly with player personnel surrounding them will help that vision come to fruition.

Oh, I cannot believe we have a coaching staff and front office that was fine with icing McCabe-Risto as a pair again. Theyve played pretty well, but we know- over the course of a season- they'll regress to the norm, which is pure suckage.

It was a failure by Adams to not address the defense in a meaningful way. I'll give him one more offseason because he at least tried to fix the center depth, but if the defense is neglected again- then he needs to be fired.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The defense needs to be revamped. It's been clear as day for years now. We have too many defensemen with similar strengths and weaknesses- Risto, McCabe, Miller, and Montour are all defenemen with physical tools but have a lack of defensive prowess and a low hockey IQ.

We need to do whatever it takes to find a partner that meshes with Dahlin and Joki. Dahlin hasnt had a stable partner who can cover up for him since he entered the league. He's just cycling through partners with similar flaws. Joki played his best hockey with Scandella, but of course, Botts traded Scandella and Joki has struggled to hit that level of play again.

It's vital we get these kids a stable partner. Partners who can play a simple yet effective game. it's essential both Joki and Dahlin reach their potential in this league, and developing them properly with player personnel surrounding them will help that vision come to fruition.

Oh, I cannot believe we have a coaching staff and front office that was fine with icing McCabe-Risto as a pair again. Theyve played pretty well, but we know- over the course of a season- they'll regress to the norm, which is pure suckage.

It was a failure by Adams to not address the defense in a meaningful way. I'll give him one more offseason because he at least tried to fix the center depth, but if the defense is neglected again- then he needs to be fired.
Duncan Keith for Joki and Borgen for Dahlin

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
What team is gonna want to trade a good back-up with how everything is this season? I have serious doubts that we can do anything but upgrade Tokarski/JJ as the third goalie.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
What team is gonna want to trade a good back-up with how everything is this season? I have serious doubts that we can do anything but upgrade Tokarski/JJ as the third goalie.

Arizona and Raanta is the most obvious answer. He's a UFA at the end of the season and Arizona could use the draft picks

When I posted on the trade forum, me and an Arizona poster agreed to Carter Hutton ($2.25 million, UFA at end of year) + 2nd + 3rd for Raanta ($4.25 million, UFA at end of year)

The cap works out because we have Girgensons' $2.2 million on LTIR that isn't currently being used

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Arizona and Raanta is the most obvious answer. He's a UFA at the end of the season and Arizona could use the draft picks

When I posted on the trade forum, me and an Arizona poster agreed to Carter Hutton ($2.25 million, UFA at end of year) + 2nd + 3rd for Raanta ($4.25 million, UFA at end of year)

The cap works out because we have Girgensons' $2.2 million on LTIR that isn't currently being used
Chad said it wasn't Raanta, Gibson, Miller, Rittich and Petersen. He also mentioned that the hardest part is getting the space in the cap to work. I think it's Fleury.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Chad said it wasn't Raanta, Gibson, Miller, Rittich and Petersen. He also mentioned that the hardest part is getting the space in the cap to work. I think it's Fleury.

MAF would be big if true, but Okposo would need to go the other way or Vegas would need to retain 50% for the remainder of the contract to make it work

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
MAF would be big if true, but Okposo would need to go the other way or Vegas would need to retain 50% for the remainder of the contract to make it work
I think Miller could go back to Vegas, he also has a two year contract, probably Hutton too, since Lehner will need a backup, maybe a deal with these figures, but this is just my guess, as well as wondering how the sweetener will be from Vegas.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Retaining salary could be the complication he was referring to

and Vegas refused to retain anything when they tried to offload him with a second rounder during the offseason, so my default expectation is that Vegas isn't going to retain on MAF

I think Miller could go back to Vegas, he also has a two year contract, probably Hutton too, since Lehner will need a backup, maybe a deal with these figures, but this is just my guess, as well as wondering how the sweetener will be from Vegas.

This is temporarily workable, but would cause problems in the third year

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
and Vegas refused to retain anything when they tried to offload him with a second rounder during the offseason, so my default expectation is that Vegas isn't going to retain on MAF

This is temporarily workable, but would cause problems in the third year
Third year of what?

Hutton is a free agent after this season and Miller only his one year left on his deal.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
I really like the idea of MAF as a Sabre if the cap works out (and if he's willing to waive to come to Buffalo). He has a tremendous amount of playoff experience and he's still hungry to be the starter and prove himself

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Such a question, if we, for example, trade for Fleury, then we will have to defend him in the expansion draft, but, for example, Seattle can take Ullmark or he will become a free agent, and after the draft we can re-sign him?

explore

Jun 28, 2011
He’s also better than our current goalies even if he isn’t what he once was.

He'd be far and away the best goalie the Sabres will have had in a while. Lehner could've been that guy, but unfortunately we couldn't help him with his issues before he left

Such a question, if we, for example, trade for Fleury, then we will have to defend him in the expansion draft, but, for example, Seattle can take Ullmark or he will become a free agent, and after the draft we can re-sign him?

Since Ulmark and Hutton are UFA, they can't be protected. Jonas Johansson and UPL are exempt (I know UPL is exempt, I don't know if JJ is UFA or exempt), the Sabres actually had to pick up some journeyman goalie just to protect him in the ED, so protecting MAF (if he comes here) is a non-issue

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Okposo (1 mil retained)+Mitts for Fleury. Win-win. Even with the 1 mil retained that only adds 2 mil for cap.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think Hutton/Ullmark + Miller for MAF makes a lot of sense, with Vegas retaining the small difference in salary.

We can't take on salary (as i understand it) because of potential performance bonuses.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He'd be far and away the best goalie the Sabres will have had in a while. Lehner could've been that guy, but unfortunately we couldn't help him with his issues before he left

Since Ulmark and Hutton are UFA, they can't be protected. Jonas Johansson and UPL are exempt (I know UPL is exempt, I don't know if JJ is UFA or exempt), the Sabres actually had to pick up some journeyman goalie just to protect him in the ED, so protecting MAF (if he comes here) is a non-issue

And if Seattle signs Ullmark or Hutton (or Hall or whomever) before the expansion draft, that’s their pick from the Sabres and we don’t have to worry about anyone being protected or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad