2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
lmfao

Staal isn't washed out, he's being misused. He's as consistent a 50-point center as you can get, but when you have a non-coach/soccer guy/spiritual guru putting Skinner on the 4th line and Thompson on Staal's line, you're setting up a lot of offensive players to fail
I think we fans put too much focus on line combos but it's pretty scary how our coaches always seem to put several players in the worst situation possible.
That along with refusing to experiment with roles/lines when the season is dead and buried has really annoyed me the last 6 years.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Even the evolving hockey guys get a little high and mighty with their models.

I think they're one of the better options but sometimes I think they're blinded by the numbers.

Chad just does intro to excel charts of xgf% and tierney finds 6000 ways to visualize the evolving hockey data

I want to like both because I enjoy the numbers, but they really don't add much

That is the most accurate description of a person that I've ever read (it made me laugh pretty hard too :laugh:)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I just watched his first 2 periods against Detroit and it didn't look that bad.

He's not Patrice Bergeron but he caused a few turnovers, and also had moments you'd want a little more. I don't know, I feel like he could have definitely been more aggressive but it wasn't the worst thing I've seen

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

He's not Patrice Bergeron but he caused a few turnovers, and also had moments you'd want a little more. I don't know, I feel like he could have definitely been more aggressive but it wasn't the worst thing I've seen

Not sure hinging trading away premium assets on a guy who "wasn't the worst you've ever seen" is the smart route lol (kidding not bashing you). Then again it's the Sabres so....

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I caught the 2nd and 3rd periods vs DET on MLK Day and the NBCSN team was praising PLD for handling it the "right way" by continuing to play hard even after the trade request. After he scores in the 3rd is when I believe they were discussing that. Amazing how the narrative changed 72 hours later.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not giving up Cozens at this point. But I'd do Reinhart + for PLD + a goalie. I'm intrigued to see where it goes.

The tough part with a deal like that is navigating the cap.

Reinhart+Hutton for PLD+Korpisalo would be as close to cap flat as you might get.

With the talk that CBJ has more than enough wingers and need a C coming back, I doubt this offer works for them.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
As would I. You hope and dream Cozens turns into a player like Dubois. That said there would undoubtedly have to be something else added to Cozens likely in the form of a player with a significant salary. That's where things likely fall apart.
100% agree. i'd add a 1st to that easily cap would have to be added like Miller / Okposo / Montour

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I think we fans put too much focus on line combos but it's pretty scary how our coaches always seem to put several players in the worst situation possible.
That along with refusing to experiment with roles/lines when the season is dead and buried has really annoyed me the last 6 years.

Turns out coaches are sometimes wrong and sometimes refuse to admit to their own failures, i.e. they're human like the rest of us.

As a person, I can relate to and empathize with that, but as a fan of a professional sports team, it makes me frustrated watching professionals behave as amateurs. Especially when I go from watching how well coached the Bills are to watching the clown show that is the Sabres

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
@joshjull @littletonhockeycoach

Squirt level hockey right here.

D: stand them up at the blue line if you can. If it's an odd-man rush, retreat at the rate of advance and play pass.

F: at least one forward catches the puck carrier by the time they reach the blue line.

So simple..... so hard to get players to execute. :laugh:

Thats cause squirts have only one speed. All out, all the time.

Pro's pace themselves..... (some through the whole season!) LOL

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
McCabe and Risto has surprised me this season. Yes, sometimes they create bad situations in their own end but if they had average support from the forwards it wouldn't mean a goal against as often.

Both have played a pretty complete game. Tipping my hat considering how long they've been on the worst team in the league.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I would not trade Cozens for Dubois.

They need a competent goaltender and a defenseman much more than they need a center right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad