2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I assume that everyone is technically within the written rules of the CBA. I'm sure the Sabres could come up with a thousand 'valid' reasons for placing Sheahan with a non-roster designation.

My definition of circumvention is not limited to the written rules, to me circumvention refers to many things that live in that gray area of the CBA, such as:
  • Teams that trade for injured players for the sole purpose of LTIR relief
  • Players that 'retire' but don't officially file their paperwork so that clubs can LTIR their cap hits
  • Teams that make daily paper transactions to influence the cap over the course of the season
All of these are not strictly prohibited according to the language of the CBA, but IMO they are all abusing minor loopholes in the written rules and cap calculation formulas. Sure, understanding and working within the written rules is part of being good at your job (any job really). But as a non-lawyer, some of this stuff is just pure nonsense.

The taxi squads now just add another tool to perform these types of paper transactions.

Good comment. There absolutely is a level of interpretation to it, and neither of us are Gary Bettman so at the end of they day we're all just guessing.

I do want to point out that to my knowledge, your first two bullet points don't offer any cap advantage to teams.
  • LTIR never gets you more space for healthy players than you had originally, so trading for LTIR contracts isn't upping a team's cap space. It does affect the real money that teams are spending on payroll, which is likely why they were added to the Tampa-Ottawa trade.
  • Retirement wipes out the cap hit of players unless they're on a 35+ contract, so that would usually be the preferred route for teams. LTIR just allows the player to keep getting paid.
I guess you could make an argument that each of those is circumvention in their own rights, but they don't offer cap advantages.

Reactions: Fezzy126

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Put the prized rookie with the worst player in the league, what could possibly go wrong with that plan?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
CapFriendly has some errors.

Sabres roster for 2020-21 season is set

The 23-man roster will include:
Forwards:
Hall - Eichel - Thompson
Olofsson - Staal - Reinhart
Rieder - Eakin - Okposo
Skinner - Sheahan - Cozens
Defense:
McCabe - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Montour
Miller - Jokiharju
Goalies:
Ullmark - Hutton
Extras: Quinn, Lazar, Irwin

Five-man taxi squad: Mittelstadt, Asplund, Borgen, Davidson, Johansson.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I really don't understand why you are carrying 3 extras when the taxi squad is there, seems like a waste of cap space.

Last minute/warm-up injuries, especially on the road. The taxi squad doesn't need to go to every road game, and likely isn't at the arena in the hours leading up to game time.

If someone takes a puck to the face in warmups and can't go.......or suddenly gets the shits or something, you do need one or two extra bodies on the active roster. I think the only taxi squad member that needs to be in the arena is the 3rd goalie.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Check the prevous thread, starting around #989. Some discussion about Sheehan and the cap gymnastics the Sabres are doing.

I'll repost this here (regarding Sheehan):
From the CBA

"16.12 Non-Roster Player. (a) Upon approval of the Commissioner, a Player who is unavailable to play due to reasons other than injury, illness or disability (e.g., birth of a child, attending a funeral) will be designated a Non-Roster Player, and during such period of his designation as such he will not count against the Club's Active Roster limit and his Club may replace such Player, provided, however, that the Non-Roster Player's Player Salary and Bonuses and his replacement's Player Salary and Bonuses are each included in calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for purposes of Article 50.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My thinking is that the submitted roster gets them closest to the cap so they can maximize LTIR. I wonder if Okposo is joining Girgensons on LTIR.

Quinn will be assigned to OHL at the start of their season (maybe Rochester before OHL training camps start).

Biro gets them closer to the cap than Mittlestadt (by a little).

Reactions: Fezzy126

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
My thinking is that the submitted roster gets them closest to the cap so they can maximize LTIR. I wonder if Okposo is joining Girgensons on LTIR.

Quinn will be assigned to OHL at the start of their season (maybe Rochester before OHL training camps start).

Biro gets them closer to the cap than Mittlestadt (by a little).

Has the OHL made an announcement yet that they will have a season?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Has the OHL made an announcement yet that they will have a season?
I thought I read a new date yesterday, but can't find it now.

So if the immediate options for Quinn are practicing on the taxi squad or starting training camp in Rochester on Friday; what do you choose?

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I thought I read a new date yesterday, but can't find it now.

So if the immediate options for Quinn are practicing on the taxi squad or starting training camp in Rochester on Friday; what do you choose?

Personally, I'd say Rochester, but I'm not GMKA, and it shows lol.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It could mean he was suspended.

This is massive specualtion, but given that he is from St Catherines and he was on a PTO, I wonder if the lockdown in Ontario has complicated his move to the US (I have no idea if St Catherines is his offseason home). I doubt there'd be visa issues since he played in the states for several years already, but perhaps his family is still up there and he's working out his living situation now that he officially has a contract.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Personally, I'd say Rochester, but I'm not GMKA, and it shows lol.
He could practice with an NHL team vs. being in an AHL training camp. Maybe even get some games within that timeframe of AHL training camps. If there's no OHL season on the horizon he can go to Rochester when it's time to actually play games. Also, keep in mind what Ralph said about different taxi squads for the road vs. home. That implies a guy like Quinn will bounce between the two, assuming there is no OHL.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
He could practice with an NHL team vs. being in an AHL training camp. Maybe even get some games within that timeframe of AHL training camps. If there's no OHL season on the horizon he can go to Rochester when it's time to actually play games. Also, keep in mind what Ralph said about different taxi squads for the road vs. home. That implies a guy like Quinn will bounce between the two, assuming there is no OHL.

That's certainly reasonable. My choice of Rochester was meant to be for the experience of an AHL season, playing in different situations, vice being on a taxi squad the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->