2021 Roster Discussion -- The Season Begins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't know who this fellow is. I've always favored a stand 'em up at the blue line approach. Our FWDs defensive play has been a major factor towards applying this style of play. Neither 19 nor 55 are being "hung out to dry" so kudos to them.

As long as the fwds back check and subscribe to their roles this will work. I am anxious to see how well they deal with a blazing "speed team" however.

I believe 19 and 55 have allowed only 2 goals. One the result of a missed hip check by McCabe and the other the result of a bad pinch decision by Risto.
That fellow is from the orbit of Chad D from expected Buffalo. I used to follow him to get retweets of Sabres related analytics content from guys like evolving wild, Sean Tierney, etc. I stopped following because, as @Doug Prishpreed said, he would just post a chart as if it was a mic drop moment. It became a less and less informative or interesting follow over time.

But I posted this in part because he’s also one of the biggest anti-Risto folks there is. So to see him praise Risto at all was pretty funny. He also did it without a chart and ..gasp... observed the game. :laugh:

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That fellow is from the orbit of Chad D from expected Buffalo. I used to follow him to get retweets of Sabres related analytics content from guys like evolving wild, Sean Tierney, etc. I stopped following because, as @Doug Prishpreed said, he would just post a chart as if it was a mic drop moment. It became a less and less informative or interesting follow over time.

But I posted this in part because he’s also one of the biggest anti-Risto folks there is. So to see him praise Risto at all was pretty funny. He also did it without a chart and ..gasp... observed the game. :laugh:

I mean, to bash Risto for years and years any never once ask yourself the question 'what does he bring that the coaches all seem to value so much?' ...it just bringing nothing to the table.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean, to bash Risto for years and years any never once ask yourself the question 'why does he bring that the coaches all seem to value so much?' ...it just bringing nothing to the table.
The funny thing is we both know the only reason he went back to rewatch the game was due to Risto’s charts/numbers looking good. How can that be? The irony being he should have been doing that all along (re-watching games on top of checking charts) to get a full picture to properly evaluate Risto, or any player for that matter.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Danault isn't happy being the 3C. He was vocal about that last year. Granted, he's on the top line again playing with Tatar and Gallagher, but how long does that last? If Suzuki and Kotkaniemi really start to come on, and Danault is back at 3C, I think he becomes available.
I remember him voicing his displeasure about being the 3C last year. That's very likely why they moved Domi this offseason. We'll see if both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi make a push for more ice time this season. Suzuki looks to have earned it, Kotkaniemi has a ways to go. It sure would be nice to rob a guy like Danault from the Habs.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Even the evolving hockey guys get a little high and mighty with their models.

I think they're one of the better options but sometimes I think they're blinded by the numbers.

Chad just does intro to excel charts of xgf% and tierney finds 6000 ways to visualize the evolving hockey data

I want to like both because I enjoy the numbers, but they really don't add much

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What does a hypothetical trade for Dubois look like?

Oloffson + Quinn + protected 1st?
Trades Columbus would say yes to:
PLD for Eichel

Trades Columbus might say yet to:

PLD for Dahlin

PLD for Cozens, Olofsson, a 1st and a 2nd

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
PLD + Werenski or PLD + Gavrikov + Texier/Foudy for Eichel

PLD + Gavrikov for Dahlin + Mittelstadt

PLD for Cozens, Olofsson, a 2nd

fixed

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Elliotte Friedman stated Columbus would prefer to do a one for one trade for PLD (Like the Seth Jones trade).

Do we have a player to get that done?

Would have to be Reinhart, from a salary and talent standpoint, but CBJ would think they can find someone better, I’m sure.

It’s not like there are a ton of players on this guy’s level that are clamoring for a trade...

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Would have to be Reinhart, from a salary and talent standpoint, but CBJ would think they can find someone better, I’m sure.

It’s not like there are a ton of players on this guy’s level that are clamoring for a trade...

The problem is that CBJ needs C help and not help at the wing.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Yeah, Elliotte Friedman was pretty sure Reinhart wasn't that player. Columbus would want a good young player under team control for more than a year or two.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Staal continues to look washed out, then we definitely need 2C, but it doesn't have to be PLD at least because of the big price.

Hertl
Danault
Dvorak or Schmaltz
Tierney
D. Strome (not popular option)

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
PLD for Eichel

PLD for Dahlin

PLD for Cozens, Olofsson, a 1st and a 2nd

lmfao

If Staal continues to look washed out, then we definitely need 2C, but it doesn't have to be PLD at least because of the big price.

Hertl
Danault
Dvorak or Schmaltz
Tierney
D. Strome (not popular option)

Staal isn't washed out, he's being misused. He's as consistent a 50-point center as you can get, but when you have a non-coach/soccer guy/spiritual guru putting Skinner on the 4th line and Thompson on Staal's line, you're setting up a lot of offensive players to fail

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With all the PLD chatter and some people wanting Buffalo to look into it, I get the feeling that Jarmo would ask for something like Staal+Cozens for PLD.

Personally, I don't like that deal for Buffalo given PLD pulling the chute and the bridge deal he received.

I don’t have an issue doing a deal if PLD for Cozens. They are close to equal outside of cap differences.

If I were going after a center, it’d be Danault. Give up a first and then re-sign him, a la Pageau.

Adams would need to move a defender to make it work against the cap, but so be it.

Adding a legit 2C would take a lot of pressure off Cozens in the future, and give the team legit center depth for this season.

Hall - Eichel - Reinhart
Olofsson - Danault - Thompson
Skinner - Staal - Cozens
Sheahan - Eakin - Lazar/Rieder/Okposo

the problem is ..Danault dies not want to be a checking center role that he would be in buffalo due to Cozens/Mitts. I don’t see him resigning here.

The way he's completely quit on Columbus and the fact that you wouldn't even be able to talk contract extension with him until next year are definitely not factors that would push me to give up a huge package for Dubois. You'd have a real hard time convincing me to give up Cozens for him.

PLD is dealing with Torts which factors a lot into thus. Had it been a different coach and these issues came up woukd be a character concern,

That's why I can't even follow these guys on twitter anymore...they post these player charts like they're some big mic drop, like they're irrefutable proof on player quality and value, with little-to-no curiosity on why the numbers may not tell the whole story.

I have problems with many analytics reports because Hockey is really hard to evaluate players like defenseman when it’s based an scenario, scheme, and assignment vs how talented the player is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad