2021 QMJHL Draft

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Would anyone know the percentage of Drafted players from last year Draft that actually made their team in the first year. I'm thinking about 10% or would that be high? I know of a couple from PEI that made the jump but with limited ice time, understandable, but would develop faster with the big league more so than coming back to M. Midget or do I have that backwards, that maybe debatable.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
How many Q teams do you think will take a chance on 05s as first years after only having Bantam level hockey as a reference. Also how many 05s do you think will be able to adjust to the increased pace and physicality of junior hockey as first years, and do you think due to covid that most would benefit from spending more time in midget? For players who were already under the radar, covid probably won’t affect as much as far as draft placing, but it really is a shame for some of the late bloomers. Also what positions do you think would transition easier to the next level?

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
How many Q teams do you think will take a chance on 05s as first years after only having Bantam level hockey as a reference. Also how many 05s do you think will be able to adjust to the increased pace and physicality of junior hockey as first years, and do you think due to covid that most would benefit from spending more time in midget? For players who were already under the radar, covid probably won’t affect as much as far as draft placing, but it really is a shame for some of the late bloomers. Also what positions do you think would transition easier to the next level?
Defencemen have a better chance in the transition, IMO. I know they practice everyday and developing players will prosper in that atmosphere but then I think about game time is limited and so on the fence of a player being better off going back to Midget.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Would anyone know the percentage of Drafted players from last year Draft that actually made their team in the first year. I'm thinking about 10% or would that be high? I know of a couple from PEI that made the jump but with limited ice time, understandable, but would develop faster with the big league more so than coming back to M. Midget or do I have that backwards, that maybe debatable.
38 16 years olds in the Q this past season, which is high...generally it's approx 10%. There is no right answer to your question...moving up or staying back depends on so many factors and on every team there are a different set of circumstances why a player should stay or leave. You can't paint this with a single brush stroke. Development wise, it depends on the type of player, not all dominate u18 players would do well in the bottom 6 , others would thrive. There is nothing wrong with coming back and dominating as a 17 year, just like there is nothing wrong with being on the ice with 19 and 20 year olds everyday, being pushed outside your comfort zone. This is why some Q teams take 2-3 16's , some take none...its all about the player and teams development window.

Reactions: HkyTalk

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
Defencemen have a better chance in the transition, IMO. I know they practice everyday and developing players will prosper in that atmosphere but then I think about game time is limited and so on the fence of a player being better off going back to Midget.
I've always heard the opposite for pro levels and higher levels, that it is harder for a d to transition to higher levels. Be interested on your observation why you feel easier for D to transition to Q?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Forwards in my opinion. But it really depends on the birth year. Last year, the draft was loaded with top end D and many of them made the jump. For Q teams, i really think they are committed to their top 2 round picks , forward or D. Personally, I feel the F's end up making a bigger impact at 16 overall, but if a team needs D , they will draft them high and work them in.
As for this draft...I can't see any Q teams leaving their top picks back in U18 for a full season..or even part of one., unless there is some serious trust between the player / the agent and the GM. Look at it this way, your a 1st rounder 15th overall. The team who drafted you, obviously likes you. Immediately following the draft the conversations start about where you fit into the teams plan. If the team says, well we really like you, but you need another year in Midget. How many of those players will actually show up and spend 48+ hours at camp? Not many. If you are not part of the 21-22 season plan, you are not signing, why would you. This would leave free agents all over the place exploring US options, Prep...etc... all options would be on the table at that point. Q Teams can not afford to have their top picks out exploring other options...the 4 year window is too short...they need to get these guys signed....and by signed...i mean in the lineup. So basically, i see the #'s about the same...10% of the league will be 05's next year.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Well tough to explain in depth as it would fill the page. Short answer would be the responsibilities of the Defenceman role compaired to other positions. Center and Goal would have the most to attend to and the Defence position and Wingers would have less or some may say equal responsibilities. This could be long debate over each role but as I see it playing Defence has a sole purpose to defend/stop goals. Keep the play in front of you is the golden rule. Forwards need to learn the roles of scoring and also defending and thats when it comes in a big debate because Defencemen also score or rush the puck. But IMO the main reason they are on the team is to stop goals, if they get a goal thats the bonus. It doesn't work for the forward position, they have to score and back check and learn to play to be affective in both areas, if a defenceman is great at stopping opposing players from scoring and doesn't get many goals, he still has fulfilled his requirement of the D role.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
NB U18 final is set....Moncton Flyers vs Fredericton Caps...predictions? Plenty of prospects in this series that will get one last look by the Q scouting group. Fredericton should be able to out last the young Moncton group.
Once complete, is there any talk of the winner taking on the Knights? Or are the Knights done for the season?

NS will get underway this weekend...best of 5 quarter finals.

Last edited:

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I found this thread started out really good. I must say that it seems to have devolved into the top prospects of PEI/Moncton thread :)
In the process we did not talk about many other kids who deserve it. MacGillvary, Gerhardt, Todd - well maybe a bit. Macphee did not drop off like I had previously thought which is awesome as he proved me wrong although I never said it here - he is perhaps a bigger surprise to me then any.

How about U16AAA league and some harder picks in the middle-late. Francis has some scoring talent that could develop with size nicely on the forward side. Some good defensemen playing in that league that I had not heard of but looked like they were easily U18 players- Welsh stood out, but a couple others who I would have to see another year to mention names at this point as frankly some did not play major bantam and it's not enough history to know. Shame on you U18 teams that did not use a single AP skater to help us make these assessments - because we basically can't now(goalies don't count).

In closing the top 2 best players from Atlantic Canada are Peddle and Burbidge - I think this is irrefutable now and there is no doubt anymore. Note I did not say picks because teams will have some sort of vibe on if they are Q or NCAA and may not be willing to gamble.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I found this thread started out really good. I must say that it seems to have devolved into the top prospects of PEI/Moncton thread :)
In the process we did not talk about many other kids who deserve it. MacGillvary, Gerhardt, Todd - well maybe a bit. Macphee did not drop off like I had previously thought which is awesome as he proved me wrong although I never said it here - he is perhaps a bigger surprise to me then any.

How about U16AAA league and some harder picks in the middle-late. Francis has some scoring talent that could develop with size nicely on the forward side. Some good defensemen playing in that league that I had not heard of but looked like they were easily U18 players- Welsh stood out, but a couple others who I would have to see another year to mention names at this point as frankly some did not play major bantam and it's not enough history to know. Shame on you U18 teams that did not use a single AP skater to help us make these assessments - because we basically can't now(goalies don't count).

In closing the top 2 best players from Atlantic Canada are Peddle and Burbidge - I think this is irrefutable now and there is no doubt anymore. Note I did not say picks because teams will have some sort of vibe on if they are Q or NCAA and may not be willing to gamble.

I agree with most of your points LAP , but rather then just throw names out there, tell us why you think Jacob Gerhardt is a solid pick for the upcoming draft.

Todd has had a ton of air time, unbelievable season really. MacGillvary grew and it's that simple, he always had the skill in my opinion. He's a great story, playing on weaker team and still playing a very solid 2 way game vs many of the leagues top lines. He can skate and he can fire the puck, I would like to see him with some more patience in the O zone, but as with most prospects what we see and what the players are being told to do, can be the difference in opinion.

As for McPhee, like I mentioned in an earlier post, he is a player that stayed status quo for me, he was a top prospect coming in and he stayed there. Like all players, there was ample opportunity to jump up, but he would have needed play better vs the top teams in the league, I found he was much quieter when the pace picked up in the games vs Mac;'s, Steel and Valley.

I am not sure about the top 2 being Peddle and Burbidge, although the Shattuck name does come with quite a reputation and Peddle's #'s have been off the charts. Peddle will be the first Atlantic pick, no question, assuming he does not commit, but I am not yet convinced he will have the biggest impact as a Q player from this draft class when the dust settles 3 years from now, time will tell. Burbidge, very solid, mid to late 2nd round for me as I still have a few names ahead of him. Personally, I would have liked to have seen him stay and play U18 in NS this year. The PEI loop was just too weak, he is a very good 2 way center who played in a loop where most games had 12+ goals scored. I just can't imagine his best talents where showcased in that environment...but he is a very good prospect.

For the U16 AAA, Francis played 6 or so games with the Mac's, good speed, some grit, but just too small to crack the top 10 rounds. The balance of the U16 loop there were no 05's that stood out to me..a few 04's had decent years.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Agree with Lap2000, the conversation in recent months has digressed especially this past month. Consensus would be that Peddle & Burbidge are top end NS prospects but whether they are significantly ahead of names like Nadeau, Pelletier, Coughlin, MacKinnon, Richardson or a handful of other guys in Atlantic Canada will be TBD.

maritimecoach007

Mar 28, 2021
I think if you follow the thread of discussion, there is a member of this thread who is a huge Squires proponent, and another member that is a huge fan of the way Sentner plays, besides those, I think the point every other member was making in that discussion was those gentlemen aren't even the strongest 05s skating on PEI currently, and 9/10 Years the NS major U18 league is consistently much deeper talent pool compared to is NB/PEI counterpart. I do agree with Hkyeasts comment, it's easy to put out names, but some context always helps, anyone can drop names. Unfortunately due to covid 19 many scouts haven't had the chance to travel.interprovincially, generally I have a good handle on all top end prospects in the maritime provinces and usually get a chance to see them in person a couple times as at minimum as I head to NB for Monctonian and NS for Ice Jam. That wasn't possible this year, earlier in this thread I actually asked about how the NS 05s development is going as it's been 14-16 months since I've seen most of these skater change and that's a lifetime in developmental terms at this age.
As far as Lap2000 and ATLhockey watchers comment goes, luckily HF board have a team of dedicated and thorough administrators who review all posts to ensure that threads are not devolving and getting away from the topic at hand. That should be a comforting sentiment for you both as this allows you to not feel obligated to voice your personal opinion as far as devolution of subject goes, you can let the Administrators do there job and you can worry about having meaningful conversations about subjects that interest you on here instead of "policing" of HF boards, but that's just my opinion haha:)
Agree with Lap2000, the conversation in recent months has digressed especially this past month. Consensus would be that Peddle & Burbidge are top end NS prospects but whether they are significantly ahead of names like Nadeau, Pelletier, Coughlin, MacKinnon, Richardson or a handful of other guys in Atlantic Canada will be TBD.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I agree with most of your points LAP , but rather then just throw names out there, tell us why you think Jacob Gerhardt is a solid pick for the upcoming draft.

I'm not sure if it works out in the end and the draft for hime and my assessment is limited but specifically for Gerhardt, here is is what I got. I didn't have him in my earlier lists as getting drafted at all - I like to call that out because I root for the underdogs. I'm not sure it works out draft wise but there are reasons to pick him. He's not very big, but he is in the right place and battles. He plays a disciplined game, looks a bit sloppy but it works out for some reason. He doesn't have explosive speed but his edges and balance are good. He finished second on his team - 1 point behind the leader in points and goals on a team that was upper middle of the pack. By stats his coach did not stick him on the power play all season to rack up points so he earned them 5 on 5. He finished ahead of players who went in the Q last year who appear to have gotten several of their points on the PP. He also was named to the rookie allstar team. Detractors are he is an older 2005 and defensively I have nothing of value to say one way or the other.

I threw out Peddle and Burbidge as the best because you gotta make decisions and now is the time. It's offensive to say Burbidge is not in the first round because to me I see him potentially being the best in the end and if I'm not correct it hurts my ego :) Peddle is the best hockey player right now and Burbidge has the best Hockey IQ of anyone in the draft for the last few years. Pelletier is the hardest worker in the class at the top. Nadeau checks all of the check marks. I think these are all top round guys, but I'm making my call now on the top 2.

maritimecoach007

Mar 28, 2021
Really eh, Peddle behind all of those players? As I mentioned above I haven't gotten a chance due to covid to see much of the NS 05s in the last 14 months or so, and from what I've read it seems some people think Peddle will go first of the maritime 05s, I really am not sure so I'm very interested in your view point. I can tell you I've seen Burbridge numerous times this season and he looks excellent. Any insight as to why he chose to go to PEI to play at the Mount then play in a strong Major U18 in NS?
Of all the Mount games I have, Burbridge and Pelletier consistently are the best players on there team and Burbidge looks to be a class above the rest. I agree on the second tier players you listed, they just quite aren't at the level that some of the high end 05s are at, however I have been extremely impressed with Coughlin this year, and akthought he may not go in the draft before peddle, Nadeau or some of the Moncton 05s but I could honestly see Coughlin going in this years Q draft in the first 3 rounds, likely round 2 or 3.
Nadeau and the 3 top guys from Moncton are in the same range as Peddle and Burbidge. All likely first rounders assuming they go to QMJHL route. Of the group, I'd probably take Peddle last.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Some interesting comments about the inter provincial calibre of Play from what I watched and only on the web of all the Atlantic group Charlottetown would definitely be a National contender as a result making the Mount & the Wild appear much weaker than they were as far as u18 calibre of play!

maritimecoach007

Mar 28, 2021
You mean a contender to win Atlantic's, and not a contender to win the non-existent telus cup national championship this year, right?

Some interesting comments about the inter provincial calibre of Play from what I watched and only on the web of all the Atlantic group Charlottetown would definitely be a National contender as a result making the Mount & the Wild appear much weaker than they were as far as u18 calibre of play!

archie

Apr 5, 2018
If the conditions were as such they would be a National contender! From what I have witnessed of the Atlantic teams, great positional play, strong in all three zones as a unit, and great individual skillsets by a number of players

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
If the conditions were as such they would be a National contender! From what I have witnessed of the Atlantic teams, great positional play, strong in all three zones as a unit, and great individual skillsets by a number of players
Mac's are as deep as Knights in my opinion, maybe even deeper. They turned it up on the weekend, granted a weak Lumberjacks team, but they tightened up and you seen the result.
Knights, Mac's, Subaru, Flyers, top 4 teams in Atlantic....and the 05's on all 4 are doing quite well.

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
They do have some holes to their game as the weakest team in the U18 league did hold them to a 3-1 loss and 2-0 loss in Provincial play. They definitely needed some stiffer competition to tighten up in a couple areas before we could say they are legit contenders for sure.

maritimecoach007

Mar 28, 2021
You understand that in the history of the best on best midget/U18 AAA National championships, the Atlantic's provinces representatives have combined for 3 finals appearances and only 1 national title in its 45 or so year history of awarding a national champion?
So your statement confuses me a little, as it's still to be determined if they are even at the top of the Atlantic major U18 heap, let alone a national contender lol
Furthermore, with the whole covid issue hanging over most provinces still, so many players and teams haven't even had a chance to.be showcased so I don't know if you could say that about any team this year with any certainty and have it hold any water. Let's take the blinders off a little here.

Last edited:

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020

I think you forgot about Justin Gendron in your top two out of the Atlantic Canada, even though he was passed over for the U14 provincial team, he did mature into a well rounded player over the last couple of years. Hockey players mature at different times or get a greater sense of the game at different times and once this happens a better player surfaces to a coaches or scouts delight. Justin is certainly deserving to be in the Top ranking players coming out of the Atlantic's...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad