2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
If this list holds true, that would be 5 Maritimers in the first round....add the 2 compensation picks and maybe you get 1 more. Quite low given the last few drafts. The quebec prospects keep climbing the ranks with no GP's. I think I mentioned that a few months back, that the trend would see our guys fall the longer there were no games in Quebec.

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
If this list holds true, that would be 5 Maritimers in the first round....add the 2 compensation picks and maybe you get 1 more. Quite low given the last few drafts. The quebec prospects keep climbing the ranks with no GP's. I think I mentioned that a few months back, that the trend would see our guys fall the longer there were no games in Quebec.
2020 was 6 first round picks and 2019 was 7 first round picks

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
MacKinnon, Pattersson, Gendron, Allen, Squires, Coughlin, B. Nadeau, Peddle, Burbidge, Mossey, Rotondi, Pelletier, J. Campbell, Collette, J. MacDonald, Topilnickyj, N. Ryan, L. McPhee, J. Todd, are the most likely candidates.

I have 14 atlantic players in my current top 36 for what it's worth.

Wintersun, are you ready to share your top 36? Would be interested to see how it compares to the top 18 that was released today

hockeylife11

May 10, 2018
How do you draft players that never played games all year? Curious. It was always said on these boards that you can’t base a player on previous years or past accomplishments. Did Quebec play any games? Maybe they did I was not sure.

wr99

May 11, 2021
How do you draft players that never played games all year? Curious. It was always said on these boards that you can’t base a player on previous years or past accomplishments. Did Quebec play any games? Maybe they did I was not sure.
Pre season game. Except that, nobody played in Quebec

Does anyone know when the full CSR list will be post ??

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Wintersun, are you ready to share your top 36? Would be interested to see how it compares to the top 18 that was released today

My list is so far away from the CSR this year that I don't know what to say. I know teams will pick very differently from what I have this year. I will say this. There are 6 players on that first round list that I do not have in my top 2 rounds. I have 3 players from my top 5 that are not listed there, and 5 from my top 10. That should give you an indication how drastically different my list is ;)

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
My list is so far away from the CSR this year that I don't know what to say. I know teams will pick very differently from what I have this year. I will say this. There are 6 players on that first round list that I do not have in my top 2 rounds. I have 3 players from my top 5 that are not listed there, and 5 from my top 10. That should give you an indication how drastically different my list is ;)
How many on your list looking for an other way (OHL / NCAA), is that the reason why these players are not on this list?
(Like LaStarza last year)

Last edited:

2005 prospect scout

Dec 10, 2019
Can you post your list?
It would be interesting

Reactions: wr99

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Nadeau's older brother is heading the US root and I had heard the younger brother was considering a similar path. He is definitely 1st round talent but could be one that slides if that turns out to be true.

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
In QC, we have 3 players with the potentiel of the first round and of which there are rumors from the NCAA. And the 3 names are not on the list, this is why i ask the question to Wintersun.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
The CSR list is interesting no doubt and I can't imagine anyone's list would match up exactly to it. A few names have come out of the wood work so to speak and jumped to top 18 having not played a game this season, The CSR list looks regionally split , paying tribute to the development model within regions. GM's do not care about balance....CSR scouts do, optics play a role, no question.
Expect to see a fury of trades and with that will come new names and new draft postions...as every team will have a guy they are after.

Reactions: HockeyFanCB

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
How many on your list looking for an other way (OHL / NCAA), is that the reason why these players are not on this list?
(Like LaStarza last year)
You can't go to ontario (ohl) unless you have residency. i think there are two on the current list going to NCAA unless they are using it for leverage

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021

All winter we all thought or i did that kids who are playing will have an advantage and would be good for their game. Well most scouts pick most kids game apart as that was the only thing they had. There are kids on the csr list that i wouldn't take in the 3rd round. If some team takes them they will get a first round package and kids who slide to the second who are legit first round picks will pack up and leave . Why would they take a chance on a standard player contract year by year and risk it all. Quebec call themseves the school league. 80%of player who get the big packages never get to cash in due to the pro clause.

Last edited:

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
You can't go to ontario (ohl) unless you have residency. i think there are two on the current list going to NCAA unless they are using it for leverage
I know it doesn't apply to the 2005 kids (yet) but you can go to the OHL as an 18 year old. I don't know if it has ever actually happened though.

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
Interesting exercice I suggest this morning

—> Go back to the 1st message of this thread ( March 2019)
—> Look at the names posted > 2 years ago
—> 2 of the 7 names listed as “top prospects” with lots of details appear today as 1st rounder from the CSR

Conclusion?

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020

—> 2 of the 7 names listed as “top prospects” with lots of details appear today as 1st rounder from the CSR

Conclusion?

No question some players have climbed and declined since the original post. That said, many of "Wintersuns" original top Quebec prospects will still go in the top 3 rounds. Just because they don't appear on the CSR's top 18 doesn't mean they aren't high end prospects. As stated by others.... conclusion; there will be a lot more variance between how things actually shake down draft wise compared to CSR this year compared to other years. Good scouts and GM's will tap into their network and do their homework.

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
A good exemple is Etienne Morin, he played his last two seasons with CIHA (Ontario), does he look for other option than the LHJMQ ?
He have the potentiel to be drafted in the first round but what is his intensions....
Is it the same thing for Issac Fecteau ? Spadafora ? i dont no but i'm sure that there a reason why some player are not there

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
CSR list is not “intention based”, it is purely player evaluation
Last year, Lastarza was listed 7th, even though his intentions were clear for years

Another example is Peddle, not sure he is coming, but he shows up on the list because of the evaluation scouts made

Reactions: HockeyFanCB

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton

Conclusion?

The conclusion is that most scouts are from Quebec, they speak french as their primary language and the border was closed all year.

Reactions: ATLHockeywatcher

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
The conclusion is that most scouts are from Quebec, they speak french as their primary language and the border was closed all year.

Of course, this first post was only based on Quebec players. I don't start tracking players from other provinces when they are 12 or 13. Of course, I have many atlantic players in the first few rounds now.

I will look back at the players I listed on the first post.

Etienne Morin is still a top 5 prospect in this draft, even if he is not listed as such by the CSR. I don't know if he'll play in the QMJHL however.

Isaac Fecteau has left for the United States and has not developed as anticipated, mainly because he switched positions last year and came back to defense this year. That said, I think he could go in the first 3 to 4 rounds if he wants to play in the QMJHL.

Spadafora was the best forward as a 13 years old in Quebec, but he has not grown physically, which has made him less dominant every year since. I think he will go in rounds 4-5.

I think Wener is still a first round caliber prospect, if not second round.

Ouellet and Cataford are still listed as first round prospect and will go there.

Evan Courtois is still a really solid prospect, same for Lauzon, Carriere, Beaudry, Minville and Grenier who all should go in the top 2-3 rounds.

Talbot has not grown physically and will likely fall in the draft, but Goyette, Baril, Boisselle, Vincent Gauthier are all solid prospects that will go early.

Vince Elie should go quite early as well.

I don't think many of these names were bad calls necessarily, 90% of these guys will go from round 1 to 3.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Of course, this first post was only based on Quebec players. I don't start tracking players from other provinces when they are 12 or 13. Of course, I have many atlantic players in the first few rounds now.

I will look back at the players I listed on the first post.

Etienne Morin is still a top 5 prospect in this draft, even if he is not listed as such by the CSR. I don't know if he'll play in the QMJHL however.

Isaac Fecteau has left for the United States and has not developed as anticipated, mainly because he switched positions last year and came back to defense this year. That said, I think he could go in the first 3 to 4 rounds if he wants to play in the QMJHL.

Spadafora was the best forward as a 13 years old in Quebec, but he has not grown physically, which has made him less dominant every year since. I think he will go in rounds 4-5.

I think Wener is still a first round caliber prospect, if not second round.

Ouellet and Cataford are still listed as first round prospect and will go there.

Evan Courtois is still a really solid prospect, same for Lauzon, Carriere, Beaudry, Minville and Grenier who all should go in the top 2-3 rounds.

Talbot has not grown physically and will likely fall in the draft, but Goyette, Baril, Boisselle, Vincent Gauthier are all solid prospects that will go early.

Vince Elie should go quite early as well.

I don't think many of these names were bad calls necessarily, 90% of these guys will go from round 1 to 3.

Time to put you on the spot....as your insight seems to be more credible than any list I have seen...and this tracks back to the last couple of drafts. Can you list your top 3 rounds including martitimes prospects? Curious to see how they fit in the with the Quebec prospects you have listed above.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Time to put you on the spot....as your insight seems to be more credible than any list I have seen...and this tracks back to the last couple of drafts. Can you list your top 3 rounds including martitimes prospects? Curious to see how they fit in the with the Quebec prospects you have listed above.

I will not post my list directly but I might give rounds / ranges, maybe I'll say in which range I have X player and where I expect him to get drafted on draft day. Because I'm sure if I post my list (which is very different from consensus), people will come back and tell me how wrong I was after the draft goes differently from what I wrote.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I will not post my list directly but I might give rounds / ranges, maybe I'll say in which range I have X player and where I expect him to get drafted on draft day. Because I'm sure if I post my list (which is very different from consensus), people will come back and tell me how wrong I was after the draft goes differently from what I wrote.
That's fair. I look forward to it.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
I’m curious to see how this list holds up. I think there’s some guys I’d put above some mentioned on the list, but overall the list seems to make sense. One thing worth mentioning is that there’s no goalies listed, where as last year there were 2 that went in the first and 4 in the second. The depth in the Goalie position seems equal to last years to me, but I suppose it depends on teams needs as well. Do you think there’s anyone in espoir who will go in the higher rounds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad