2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Moncton has all the prospects. They'll be good.
Another great prediction from Wintersun. I see Moncton defeated the Fredericton Caps last night to win the NB championship. I did not get to see much of it, but judging by the scores, it looked very close.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Semi finals are set here in NS, Macs vs CB West, Subaru vs Weeks. I can't see it not coming down to Mac's vs Subaru, but I guess time will tell. Anxious to watch the 05 match ups with Subaru and Weeks...should be a good series. Green vs Crosby should be the feature match up for 05's.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Very concerned that the U18 playoffs will be shut down and season cancelled later today.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Halifax has the 6th overall pick and a lotto pick from 1-5.

Likely going for Tyler Peddle and a defender
The Moose are sitting pretty sweet for the draft, I can see them making a move or 2 ,to unload picks. What is the value in having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, trade bait? These kids will never get a roster spot. You could be a 3rd round pick and instantly be 6th on the depth chart for 16 year olds...buried in the system. I would not want to be the late 3rd round pick for Halifax this year.

For D, Coughlin would be my move for a first rounder...then I would rely on my Quebec guys if he was not available for a first round pick.
For F , Peddle is a solid choice, he would need to tidy up his 200' game in order to fit into the current line-up. Don't be surprised this year if a second rounder ends up as your top prospect.

Round 1 - 2 picks - 6th locked and a 1-5 lottery
Round 2 - 2 picks - their own, which will be high and Shaw, which will be a later 2nd
Round 3 - 2 picks - Sher , which will be high and Chi, which could be mid pack
They then jump to 7-9-10-11-12-13-14

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
The Moose are sitting pretty sweet for the draft, I can see them making a move or 2 ,to unload picks. What is the value in having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, trade bait? These kids will never get a roster spot. You could be a 3rd round pick and instantly be 6th on the depth chart for 16 year olds...buried in the system. I would not want to be the late 3rd round pick for Halifax this year.

For D, Coughlin would be my move for a first rounder...then I would rely on my Quebec guys if he was not available for a first round pick.
For F , Peddle is a solid choice, he would need to tidy up his 200' game in order to fit into the current line-up. Don't be surprised this year if a second rounder ends up as your top prospect.

Round 1 - 2 picks - 6th locked and a 1-5 lottery
Round 2 - 2 picks - their own, which will be high and Shaw, which will be a later 2nd
Round 3 - 2 picks - Sher , which will be high and Chi, which could be mid pack
They then jump to 7-9-10-11-12-13-14

Halifax only has 1 Round 2 pick, from the Lavoie trade. The Shawinigan 2nd rounder was used in the 2020 QMJHL Draft to trade up for Jake Furlong.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I wonder if Cameron Squires stock has drop as much as James Swans last season.

Could he be a 2nd round pick?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Not because Squires has dropped...others have just passed him. I would take, Pelletier, Nadeau, Patterson, Crosby , Burbidge, Gendron all ahead of him...assuming Peddle is off the table.

jake macleod

Jan 1, 2021
Cape breton had some good rookies in there playoff series. Riley crane tally 2 points in 4 games. Lefrense not so good the weekend. Christmas with a great 4 point series and along with Blake snow with 4 points

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Somewhere between the 7 @ 10 of May
Since the draft has been pushed 2+ weeks, I would expect the list to be pushed to later in May as well. Teams are still on the ice in Quebec, Scouts are attending practice...evaluations still happening.
Keep in mind the CSR list is a crap shoot at the best of times, you can expect this year to be no different. Nothing worse then seeing your name high and then falling 2-3 rounds. These lists do more harm then good.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
It will likely be delayed a few weeks like the draft this year. Scouting staff have just begun initial screening and virtual meetings with potential players over the last few weeks. The list is usually a pretty good indicator at the top end but your right there is always players that rise and fall in the middle and later rounds. Personally I don't know why they even publish the final list pubic, it should be a tool for Q teams and not parents to debate.

Reactions: HKYEAST

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
I think the list is public because the player should know if he is at least on the list to know if he are eligible to be drafted. But i believe they should post a name list without ranking to avoid parents debate.

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
What happens to the players from 2020 draft that did not report to teams like Rozzi, Hopkins, MAstrodominco, Lastarza? Can they be drafted again this year? If so that could change a few things in the draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
It is my understanding that compensations picks are only for 1st rounders that do not report, so in this year's draft you have Mastrodominico (Shawinigan) and possibly Nathin Morin who was drafted by Victo and did not report. Teams need to submit the request in writing, they release the player back into the draft and the teams receive a 1st round pick back, making that player eligible to all teams in the next years draft. The Morin one is different as he was selected with a compensation pick that Victo received for Richard not reporting in the 2019 draft..so I am not sure if there is a one and done rule or not. As for Rozi, LaStarza, Hopkins who all went later then round 1 , it is my understanding that they belong to the the teams they were drafted by and would need to be signed or traded to play in the league.
Mastro and LaStarza are NCAA D1 commits...so I have my doubts they are coming back.

Last edited:

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
QMJHL Draft Lottery tonight. Who is likely to be the #1 pick in this years draft? Is it dependent on which team gets the 1st overall pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad